Sierra Nevada May Have Torpedoed Dale’s Pale Ale as My Go-To Summer Beer

I’m a creature of habit.  I’ll eat the same thing every day for lunch without complaint, and I stick to a fairly strict routine in my life, which is great when I’m doing healthy stuff, and awful when I’m on a cheese and crackers binge.  All told, I’d be pretty easy to assassinate – just poison the Boars Head Oven Gold Turkey at the Stop & Shop or hide in behind a bush at 7:31 a.m. when I’ll be jogging past.  But don’t poison my Dale’s Pale Ale, because after this weekend, that might not do the trick.

I’ve become a little obsessed with canned beers ever since Oskar Blues showed me that good beer can come in aluminum packages, and I’ve been slowly rotating new canned beers into the fridge.  Up until now, few have made an impression like the four pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA did this weekend.

Maybe it’s the larger pint sized cans that Torpedo comes in, which allow me to pour a glassful of beer, take a hearty pull and then top it back off.  Or maybe it’s the fact that I’ve had trouble connecting with Sierra Nevada as a brand, and this is my way in.  Or maybe it’s because my craft beer ADD has kept me from recognizing what a wonderfully balanced and marvelously crafted IPA this is until it was wrapped in novelty.  Whatever the case, I think this stuff is going to be part of the summer rotation for sure.

That’s not to say I don’t still love Dale’s (don’t sell your Oskar Blues stock just yet), but it’s always rewarding to find something new to enjoy, especially with summer just getting started.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Uncategorized

34 Comments on “Sierra Nevada May Have Torpedoed Dale’s Pale Ale as My Go-To Summer Beer”

1. May 29, 2012 at 10:17 am #

I don’t think cans are a novelty. Well, aside from those that require a churchkey. You should try Tallgrass’s 8-Bit Pale Ale. It’s maybe my favorite craft beer of the summer so far and I drank plenty of it over the weekend.

• May 29, 2012 at 10:25 am #

I guess I said “novelty” because that’s what I considered Dale’s to be when I tried it. There was something about cracking open that can that kept me coming back, even when a can wasn’t called for. Anyway, I’m not sure this beer would’ve made an impression if it wasn’t in the can.

I haven’t seen Tallgrass in these parts, but I’ll look out for it. Anything 8-bit is cool with me!

• May 29, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

It may not be available that far east, to be honest. However, they seem to be growing rather quickly.

2. May 29, 2012 at 10:34 am #

It all depends on whether I’m going for light and refreshing or bold and hoppy for a Summer brew in cans. My all time hoppy favorite in cans, even over Dales, is Ska’s Modus Hopperandi; I’ll take that anytime, anyplace. For light and refreshing Ska’s Mexican Logger and Avery’s Joe’s Pils fill up my fridge in the Summer.

One of my other favorite hoppy beers, Twisted Pine’s Hoppy Boy is being released in tall boys any day now. It’s been awhile since I had SN’s Torpedo, but that was in bottles (or was it on tap?), and I did enjoy it. I’ll have to grab some for our upcoming trip to the mountains.

• May 29, 2012 at 10:42 am #

According to beermenus.com, I can get my hands on a Ska beer a mere 412.2 miles from here. 😦

That does it – I’m moving to Colorado, Will.

• May 29, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Uprooting your family is a small price to pay for Modus, Jim.

• May 29, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Oh, yeah, my family…

• May 29, 2012 at 10:55 am #

I agree, once you’ve had it, there’s no going back. Ska did a tap takeover in England a few months back and the response for Modus was overwhelming. One Brit tweeted “Bloody Nora this is good” 🙂

3. Greg H
    May 29, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Why even pour it into a glass? The Alchemist (Heady Topper) practically demands you to drink it from the can. The reason is the aroma is lost as you pour. They say Drink it from the Can, that why you get the taste and the hoppy aroma.

• May 29, 2012 at 10:38 am #

DRINK BEER FROM THE CAN?!! What kind of beer geek are you, sir?!!!

I hear champagne is better right from the bottle as well, as the bubbles don’t have the chance to escape! 😉

• Greg H
        May 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

I didn’t belive it at first either. Try it.

• May 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

I’m not sure if I can!

4. May 29, 2012 at 10:45 am #

It’s good to see that you’re mixing it up! I also like the Torpedo but, for me, Deviant Dale’s is the king of the tall boy IPAs. It’s a bit pricey and high-ABV for a Summer go-to, though. I’ve been very impressed with New Belgium’s Shift Pale Lager (also in tallboys) as a summer brew. It’s light and refreshing, but the use of Nelson Sauvign and Cascade hops keeps it interesting.

• May 29, 2012 at 10:48 am #

I haven’t seen Deviant Dales yet, and I’m dying to try it out…

• May 29, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Just don’t plan on doing anything productive if you’re drinking a Deviant on a Summer’s day, it’s just like they say about potato chips, you have just one 😉

• May 29, 2012 at 10:58 am #

‘can’t’ have just one

• May 29, 2012 at 11:52 am #

That’s okay, I RARELY plan on doing anything productive when I’m drinking beer…

5. Geo7163
    May 29, 2012 at 11:05 am #

Great article. I’ve been keeping both these beers on regular rotation for a while. However, I am yet to run into Torpedoes in a can (Jersey). Even though I have been looking….

• May 29, 2012 at 11:49 am #

I picked mine up in Boonton, NJ at liquor outlet, in the refrigerated section. Not sure if you’re up north, but if you are, you now know where to find ’em!

6. May 29, 2012 at 11:34 am #

I’d choose Santa Fe’s Happy Camper over Modus Hoperandi. I also might put Deviant Dale’s in a different category – like summer night beers. Now, if only they’d put Uinta’s Hop Notch in a can, no hop head would have to make such decisions. 😛

• May 29, 2012 at 11:49 am #

I can’t beleive Santa Fe didn’t go for the pun and call it “Hoppy” Camper – good on them!

7. May 29, 2012 at 11:48 am #

I think Odell’s 5-Barrel Pale may have replaced Dale’s for me—by a slim margin. And if I’m looking for something a smidge lighter/crisper, their St. Lupulin Extra Pale is pretty brilliant, too. St. Lupulin just returned to Boise this past week and the 5-Barrel is a recent add to our market as well.

• May 29, 2012 at 11:53 am #

It’s cool how Boise keeps getting better. Hopefully it’ll be even more betterer when a certain grizzly gets his act together…

• May 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Only had a couple of brief grizzly sightings in the past month or so. Not sure what’s up with his act. But we may be getting together next week for beers. So maybe I’ll get to catch up with said bear and see his act. ;^)

• May 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

Just leave some honeycombs laying about and he’ll be by. He can’t resist those!

8. May 29, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Been hitting 16 Mile lately – the amber and the golden – but soon I’ll probably go back to my summer stand-by of Yuengling Premium (not Lager) – yeah, straight from the can. I think that I have kicked my Kona Longboard Lager (also in cans). Maybe I can find some Sly Fox Pikeland Pils or Twin Lakes Greenville Pale Ale before the annual return to Pottsville, though.

• May 29, 2012 at 11:54 am #

I still haven’t tried the Sly Fox stuff in the cans yet. For some reason they always make me crave Victory Prima Pils when I see them, and I wind up buying that instead. Strange…

9. May 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Sly Fox Phoenix Pale Ale or Pikeland Pils, or Twin Lakes Greenville PA, or Victory Prima Pils – not a bad choice in the batch. Sometimes it’s about what I haven’t had for awhile, what’s on sale, what’s not buried under 10 other cases that I’d have to move first, etc.

• May 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

I think it’s time I gave Sly Fox a shot – next time I’ll resist Victory!

That doesn’t sound right, resisting victory…

10. May 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Sorry, this isn’t relevant to this conversation, but I thought you might enjoy it…http://vimeo.com/42674279

• May 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

Nice! Just gave it its own post…

11. Bill
    May 30, 2012 at 6:49 am #

Torpedo has been a staple of mine for years now. I didn’t realize it was now also in cans. I’ll have to look for it, since we can’t bring glass into state parks or the horse track here. And yeah, you need to get your hands on Deviant Dale’s. It might even make you scream, “Damn the torpedoes!”

12. May 30, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.
    Winston Churchill

To keep it fair, though:
    I am sometimes a fox and sometimes a lion. The whole secret of government lies in knowing when to be the one or the other.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

They’re both really good breweries. I don’t think that there is a good quote for Twin Lakes.

13. Johnny
    May 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

I think I got a bad batch of Torpedo. The one and only time I bought a 6 pack, it wasn’t hoppy at all and there was an odd almost metallic taste and this was out of bottles. I need to try it again sometime.