Whatcha Having This Weekend? Mathematically Alive Edition

Well the last non-holiday weekend of the year is upon us, and with the Jags losing to the Colts (yea Colts!), my Jets are still mathematically alive in the playoff hunt.  They just have to beat the Falcons and the Colts (boo Colts!) and the Bengals back-to-back-to-back.  Simple, right?

Anyway, it’s probably the last normal football weekend for the next few weeks and I’m going to try and enjoy it.  I’ll probably be relaxing with a nice session beer, like a Smuttynose Shoals IPA or even perhaps my new favorite novelty beer, Dale’s Pale Ale in the can (the can’s novel, the beer’s just plain good).

I’ll also be hiding the rest of my Mad Elf’s from my wife, who has fallen in love with the Troeg brother’s holiday brew.  I have about 12 of them left and want them to last until New Year’s.  So until I find another case, away in a manger they go!

How about you?  Will you find some time to relax with your favorite adult beverage this weekend?  Any holiday get-togethers planned?  Anyone brewing up anything special?  Please share with us below!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Whiskey

16 Comments on “Whatcha Having This Weekend? Mathematically Alive Edition”

December 18, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

Yes Jim, the Jets are still alive mathematically, but I think my Packers have a lock on an NFC Wildcard berth. And of course Favre is in, and will hand the Saints their first and final loss of the season in the NFC Championship game. As you know I have had a pretty wicked head cold this week, so I’m thinking I will drink some whiskey to keep warm and kill off any virus that is in my system. That and some hot tea is probably called for. I also have some egg nog that we purchased, that I think would taste better with a little bourbon to warm it up. Options are open, and it should be a great NFL weekend! Enjoy.

2. December 18, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

Now that I’ve finally kicked my head cold, I’m probably going to try my bottle of Delirium Noel. Supposed to get some snow too this weekend!

• Jim
      December 18, 2009 at 5:49 pm #

Glad to hear you’re feeling better, Scott. Nothing worse than feeling crappy AND no being able to taste beer.

I have a variety of holiday and winter beers waiting to be tried, too. Maybe I’ll dip into those as well…

3. December 18, 2009 at 6:33 pm #

I’ll be drinking He’Brew’s 13th anniversary ale for SWUS. http://thankheavenforbeer.com/2009/12/16/sip-with-us-saturday-jewbelation-bar-mitzvah-13th-anniversary-ale/ Probably have Affligem Noel as well. I’m sure a few homebrews will get into the mix.

• Jim
      December 18, 2009 at 6:47 pm #

I’m curious about that one Mike. I’ll see if I can find one this weekend and sip along with you over at http://www.thankheavenforbeer.com

December 18, 2009 at 6:56 pm #

I’ll have to try the Jewbelation some time. I have a bottle of their Rye IPA that I’m looking forward to soon.

4. Rob Crozier
    December 18, 2009 at 6:50 pm #

I have my sights on a few things this weekend – Southern Tier’s Old Man Winter Ale and Victory’s Yakima Twilight. A holiday party over the weekend may bring some surprises one of which a friend promised he’ll bring – Life & Limb, the collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head…I can’t find that beer anywhere!

December 18, 2009 at 6:59 pm #

Sounds good Rob. Jim and I have something special planned for our review of Life and Limb. Very hush hush at this point but it might involve crowd participation…Shhhh. Enjoy the party!

• Jim
      December 18, 2009 at 7:04 pm #

I haven’t had the Old Man Winter Ale or Yakima Twilight yet, so please let us know how they are.

I do have a bottle of Life & Limb that Don shipped to me from Idaho. We’re going to do a dual live-tasting post on it soon, once Don gets rid of his head old and can taste again.

December 18, 2009 at 7:11 pm #

Well Rob it was hush hush until my brother Jim just let the cat out of the bag! Way to go Jim!

• Jim
          December 18, 2009 at 8:08 pm #

I hate to see cats in bags, Don. Poor kitties!

5. December 18, 2009 at 9:14 pm #

I’m not sure what will fill my glass. Wine tonight (please put your stones down, company christmas party, owner is a wine freak). I think I’m gonna pick Anchors Seasonal, and I am really in the mood for a funky sour belgian ale.

• Jim
      December 18, 2009 at 9:23 pm #

I hope you have fun tonight, Nate. I’ll always drink free wine offered from an enthusiast. Wine’s not my thing, but the best wine I’ve had has been handed to me by someone who was excited by what was in the glass. Same goes for beer come to think of it.

6. Rob Crozier
    December 21, 2009 at 1:48 pm #

Well, the party was canceled due to the snow storm so I never did get a taste of Life & Limb so I anticipate your reviews of it…even though it was supposed to be hush, hush.

As for the other beers I tasted over the weekend, I had Southern Tier Old Man Winter Ale and Brooklyn’s Monster Ale. First, the Old Man Winter Ale – unexpectedly hoppy for a winter ale although according to Beer Advocate its labeled as an “old ale” which my inexperience has no idea what the differences are. I liked it a lot but I think what threw me off was that I had a Brooklyn Monster Ale before I had the Old Man and it was like night and day. This beer was alcohol heavy and was very bold with a great blend of malts and hops with hints of plums. I did not get to try the Victory Yakima Twilight.

On a scale 0f 1 to 10, I rate the Old Man Ale a 6 and the Monster Ale an 7.5

• Jim
      December 21, 2009 at 2:35 pm #

Sorry to hear about the party being cancelled, especially because you missed out on the L&L. I’m sure it’s nothing too special, just a bit rare out east.

I had a good Southern Tier experience myself this weekend, as their Oatmeal Stout blew my mind, it was so chocolaty and has wonderful espresso overtones. I think they can be hit or miss, but mostly I’ve been really impressed with their beers.

• Rob Crozier
        December 23, 2009 at 1:01 pm #

Agreed…Southern Tier is hit or miss – Hop Sun was great, Harvest Ale was pretty good, Phin and Matts was so so and Old Man was pretty good. I haven’t tried any of their heavier beers yet – your review of their Oatmeal Stout has got me juices flowing though.