Rogue John John Beer Pour’n (Down the Drain)

This was disappointing.  I cracked open a Rogue John John on Friday evening, only to be greeted by a thin and sour tasting beer. I’ve had it before and don’t remember it being a sour (it’s Rogue Dead Guy Ale aged in Rogue Dead Guy whiskey barrels), so I think there might be a quality control issue here.

Anyway, after spending eight or nine dollars for the beer, I figured I’d get something out of it, so I created a video of the sad, sad trip it took down the drain.

UPDATE: Just spoke with Jim Cline from the brewery.  He thinks there was a problem with the beer I purchased, so he’s sending a replacement my way.  I’ll do a review when I get it – something tells me this one won’t be infected… 🙂

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Beer, review

15 Comments on “Rogue John John Beer Pour’n (Down the Drain)”

1. johnking82
    June 27, 2011 at 7:46 am #

I was not a fan either. For being a JJ, it wasn’t dyn-o-mite.

• June 27, 2011 at 9:23 am #

Ha ha. You’re right about that. Not good times…

2. June 27, 2011 at 8:21 am #

Beer aged in Rogue Dead Guy Whisky? Nothing good can come from aging beer in those barrels. This is one of the few whiskies that I can wholeheartedly say pretty much sucks. Tamdhu 10 is the other one. We call it Tam-don’t.

• June 27, 2011 at 9:25 am #

I’ve actually never had it, but I’ll take your word for it. We got some samples of New Holland’s distilled spirits, and their stuff was pretty good, so brewers can distill nice spirit, maybe just not Rogue.

June 27, 2011 at 9:38 am #

OK Jim, you’ve done it again my brother. The beer you had was not the John John Whiskey, it was the John John Hazelnut. This was not Dead Guy beer, but their Hazelnut Porter that was aged in their Hazelnut Rum Barrels. Perhaps if you actually knew what you were drinking, you might not have liked it, but you might have at least understood the flavors a little better. And maybe you wouldn’t have bought it in the first place opting for the Whiskey/Dead Guy variety. That said, I’ve not had this beer, I’ve had the Whiskey version and it was pretty ok. Ive also had the John John Juniper where the beer is brewed with Juniper berries, and that was interesting as well. Interesting in a good way. So in the future you might want to actually look at what you are buying so you can better expect what you will get. Gotta love my illiterate brother!

• June 27, 2011 at 9:43 am #

Wrong! Look at the label – it’s Dead Guy and Dead Guy. The Hazelnut has a blue label. Maybe I can’t read, but I knows my colors!

June 27, 2011 at 9:48 am #

The Hazelnut has an orange label. The Juniper has the blue label. But I agree, upon closer examination of the video it is the Dead Guy/Dead Guy beer. Too bad it tasted so bad. Perhaps you got an infected bottle?

• June 27, 2011 at 10:12 am #

Not sure. It opened and poured properly, but tasted like bad homebrew (trust me – I know!).

5. June 27, 2011 at 9:55 am #

A little over-dramatic, don’t you think?

• June 27, 2011 at 10:11 am #

I wouldn’t pour it out if it didn’t totally suck, Zac. I was about to send her to the sea and realized I should capture the moment to at least get a blog post out of it.

So, overly dramatic? Maybe.

Authentic? Definitely.

6. June 27, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Hmmm, fairly certain you got an infected bottle. I don’t recall the John John Whiskey being that dark in color. What I had was lighter in color, more clear and not sour at all.

• June 27, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Yeah, a clunker for sure. I remember it being decent if unremarkable, not the sour mess I opened on Friday night!

7. June 28, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Jim Cline here with the Rogue Brewery – see your post about a funky John John Dead Guy – obviously something went south with this – not our intention. Can you get me your contact info – would like to talk with you about. If you’d like feel free to call me at the Brewery Thanks, Jim

• June 28, 2011 at 9:48 am #

I was wondering when this would happen. Jim G, was this your attempt to get some free beer?

• June 28, 2011 at 10:08 am #

Nope – just trying to make a little lemonade…but free beer is better!