Do You Have Weekend Drinking Routine? I Sure Do.

I’ll admit, I’m probably the easiest person to assassinate in America.  Why?  Because I’m a creature of habit.

Want to shoot me as I drive by?  Be at the bottom of Skyline Drive at 8:37 on any weekday morning.  Want to poison me?  Inject the tubs of Original flavor Tribe Hummus with Strychnine at the Ringwood Stop and Shop on Saturday afternoon. It’s guaranteed one will wind up in my fridge.  Want to blow me up while I’m working out?  Set the 13″ TV in my basement to detonate at 9:32p.m.  I’m an easy target – a man who likes his routines.

I’ve realized that this is also true when it comes to beer, especially on the weekends.  This can fluctuate a bit, but most every weekend goes something like this:

FRIDAY: I’ll have a couple of mid-ABV selections on Friday night to celebrate the end of the working week, but nothing that will leave me feeling fuzzy on Saturday morning.  Perhaps a Schlafly Irish Stout or an Oskar Blues Old Chub with lots of water in between and after.

SATURDAY:  Saturdays are always busy with the kids, so there’s no time to responsibly enjoy a beer during the day.  Instead, I wait ’til we put the chillins to bed and then crack open a bigger ABV bomber of something new and interesting.  It is kind of my “big beer” experimentation night.  I’ll usually follow the bomber up with another 12oz. of something more familiar and nurse it until bedtime.

SUNDAY: I start earlier on Sundays, usually cracking open something sessionable like a Prima Pils, Victory Lager or Dale’s Pale Ale at around 5pm while watching Top Gear on Netflix or playing XBOX with my boy.  I’ll have a couple of those, and then switch to water until the kids are in bed.  Then it’s up to the mancave for manly TV watching.  I’m sad that Game of Thrones is over for the season, but happy that I just got the box set of The Wire for Father’s Day, so that should last me for a few weeks.  I like to crack open a bomber of something tried and true on Sundays, like Schlafly’s Reserve Imperial Stout, and slowly enjoy it while I watch my shows.  Sundays nights are my last chance to enjoy the weekend, and I want everything to be perfect. I used to mix some whiskey in here, but found Monday mornings were a bit too harsh when I did, so it’s beer and then water for me.

And that’s how I roll most weekends.  It’s like clockwork, and it’s a routine that I look forward to most of the week while I’m watching what I eat, drinking lots of water and working out.  It’s easier to be good when you have something to look forward to.

How about you?  Are you a creature of habit when it comes to enjoying your adult beverages, or is your life dynamic enough (which basically means you have no kids) that you’re like a feather on the wind, never knowing where ebb and flow of the weekend will take you?

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Lifestyle

22 Comments on “Do You Have Weekend Drinking Routine? I Sure Do.”

1. June 24, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Do you set aside time on Sunday to lay out all of your outfits for the week, too? 😉

I’m kind of envious of the discipline in your routine; if someone called my weekend beer consumption erratic, I’d take it as a compliment.

• June 24, 2011 at 10:55 am #

It may look like discipline, but it’s mostly selfishness. If I wasn’t so structured, I wouldn’t be able to carve out any free time for myself, at least not without the family and work suffering. Once you find a pattern that works and everything (mostly) fits in it, you stick to it.

And then you wake up one day and you’re 70. Fun!

2. June 24, 2011 at 11:02 am #

I have some drinking routines and such but nothing even remotely that detailed.

Is it just me, or have you had a never-ending supply of the Schlafly Reserve since at least last fall?

• June 24, 2011 at 11:21 am #

I wish I had a neverending supply of the 2008, but alas, I suffer with the 2010, which I never pass up the chance to buy.

June 24, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Shut up!

3. Rob Crozier
    June 24, 2011 at 11:09 am #

No routine; I just roll with whatever I feel in the mood for but I definitely save the heavy ABV stuff for Friday and Saturday nights.

• June 24, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Yeah, the big guns are best saved for evenings that are followed by more forgiving mornings!

4. June 24, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

Friday: Happy Hour at Uprise, possible imperial stout before bed
    Saturday: Farmers Market, yard work, afternoon beer, dinner beer*
    Sunday: Family stuff, afternoon beer, nap, dinner beer

*In the fall, yard work is replaced with football games and beer

• June 24, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

Sounds like a solid weekend plan, Zac. How late do you drink until? I’m curious to know if “dinner” means the evening meal and onwards…

• June 24, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

It depends on how much I drink at HH on Friday. If I’ve had an adventurous night, I’ll take it easy and just have one at dinner. If it was a light evening, I’ll maybe have a few extra. This was just the typical weekend plan, but special events always alter this schedule a bit. For example, if there’s a party one night, I may not drink all day until right before and during the party. Sometimes, my beer club will have tastings on Sunday afternoon. Then, no more beer is necessary that evening.

• June 24, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

I gotcha, a rule of thumb kind of thing.

BTW, do you know where “rule of thumb” originates? From the Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins: “Brewmasters of old often tested the temperature of a batch of beer by dipping a thumb in the brew, their long experience telling them how well the beer was brewing.”

Pretty cool!

• June 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

I did know that and it is cool. Geeky, but cool.

5. johnking82
    June 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

Damnit JIM! We are too alike (Don’t tell Don that). I am as routine as they come, on Wednesday, I already had in my mind what my weekend would consist of. It’s sad. I’m just a planner.

Friday- My off day from running, I generally come right home, crack an easy drinking beer and work in the yard and piddle around until the wife decides on where we want to eat. We mainly go out and try new places where I’ll have about two beers with dinner. I rarely get buzzy because of Saturday long runs.

Saturday- long run then housework/yardwork/brewing. I generally pop a beer around 5pm and stupidly, always start with a bomber or something strong. In bed by 10.

Sunday- I rarely drink on Sundays unless it’s a beer with dinner and generally a RIS for dessert.

• June 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Sounds like my weekend, minus my wonderfully big-beered Sunday night. That, and it’s never “in bed by 10” for me. When you have kids, sleep is often converted into free time.

6. Mark
    June 24, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Try to pace yourself watching The Wire, savor it like a 25 yr Macallan. Best drama on TV ever. Don’t even try to tell me otherwise.

• June 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

I’m gonna enjoy iy and take my time. Did the same with Deadwood, which is two seasons shorter, so this should be 66% more enjoyable!

7. June 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Oh cock.

• June 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Can’t wait – the new series starts Sunday night. I don’t get BBC America, so I buy them on XBOX the day after and watch them with my 9 year old son (who is a fledgeling car nerd thanks to the show).

8. June 24, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

I drink most beers on the weekend (about to kick that off right now). Depending on what’s going on, I’ll usually start with something small with dinner on Friday, but I invariably end up with something big by the end of the night. Saturday night is where the big guns really come out. Sunday night is much more subdued, if I drink any beer at all (lately I’ve been drinking one middling beer whilst watching Game of Thrones, but that’s over now).

The Wire is an exceptional series and a good choice. I agree with the previous commenters – try to pace yourself (a difficult proposition, to be sure). I’m slightly envious. I’ll have to settle for True Blood (ungh).

9. June 24, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

I can usually refrain from drinking until the kids are in bed, unless of course the neighbors or The Alemonger are around and they tempt me with adult beverages. After 9:30PM, the text messages usually start going as we try to see who is available, and where we’ll be having a couple beers or maybe some whiskies.

Have you seen any of The Wire? Absolutely BRILLIANT show! Great characters, great stories. Be sure to pay close attention to everything because, unlike the last couple seasons of The Sopranos, it all ties together. Enjoy the show!

10. Lou Tully
    July 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

Nice article, Jim. I guess we all do have our own little idiosyncrasies when it comes to weekend drinking, huh?

I like to begin my Friday mornings with a few mimosas (Cristal if its been a good week) and start delving into a big red, maybe a Paso Robles Cabernet, around 4:30 with the old boy Rathbone. I used to make 5pm the golden rule but that’s really just unrealistic once you start coming down from a 7am champagne bender. The girls tend to come by with some good bourbon around 8pm and after that it gets a little hazy. That’s a pretty standard Friday.

I haven’t lucidly participated in a Saturday in some years, but judging by the number of empty Merlot bottles and unsavory women that seem to turn up when I wake on Sunday afternoon, I think they’ve been relatively productive. Sunday, being a weeknight, generally finds me back on my one bottle a night routine for the rest of the week.

I know it sounds repetitive but I think guys like you and I just tend to thrive on a well-structured routine and there’s nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I certainly don’t judge anyone that wants to fly by the seat of their pants and just go crazy once Friday rolls around, but man, I just don’t think I could handle it!

1. My Lunch Hour Surfing is All About Drinking, Driving, Manly Violence and Snark. How About You? | Beer & Whiskey Brothers Blog - July 8, 2011

[…] already shared that I’m a creature of habit, and not a lunch hour goes by where I don’t hit my beer blogs, check out my car blogs (mostly […]