Newcastle Cans to the Rescue!

OK, this is my lame attempt to be funny and to do something graphical.  What do you expect from MS Paint!  No photoshop here, and it shows!  Anyway… I picked up a can of Newcastle Brown Ale the other day, specifically because it was in a can.

We all know that light is the enemy of beer quality and flavor, so when Newcastle made the decision to bottle their beer in clear glass bottles, you have to kind of scratch your head and wonder why anyone would choose that for a beer.  By the way, I’ve also heard that green glass is much the same as it doesn’t keep the harmful UV rays out of the beer either.  If you’re drinking beer it should be from brown bottles or cans…period.

When I saw this can of Newcastle I remembered two things.  First was that the can might improve the flavor, and second was how bad it was in bottles.  If you don’t remember, let me refresh your memory:

I can appreciate a malty brew as long as there is something inspired in the flavor.  Don’t look to Newcastle Brown Ale for any of that inspiration.  This is the Pabst of English brews.

You can find my entire review here.  However, seeing this beer in a can gave me a hope that it might be better than I remembered without all the UV rays and florescent lights doing their bad work on the brew.  I figured at the very least the beer would taste like the brewer intended it to taste.  So in the name of science I spent the $1.79 and purchased said can.  Was it any better?…

In a word…YES!  It was remarkably better.  Still thin and watery for the body, which I think might be an English thing anyway but the flavor was much more robust.  Another thing I noticed was the alcohol makes an appearance.  It is actually a flavor that I get on the back side of my palate.

It is still thin, but this brew has been saved by the can!  It is someting I would actually buy again as a light nutty roasty summery brew that has a bit more flavor than a tired Lager or Pilsner by the end of the summer.

So if you are not a huge fan of Newcastle Brown Ale (and who could blame you) if you see it available in a can pick some up and let me know if you agree…Newcastle Brown Ale has been saved by the can!

Is there anything Cans can’t do?

Tags: ,

Categories: Beer, review

28 Comments on “Newcastle Cans to the Rescue!”

1. May 12, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Thanks for trying it. Now, I won’t have to.

• May 12, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Oh, and MS Paint? SMH.

• May 12, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Does SMH stand for “Sh!t in My Hat”?

May 12, 2011 at 11:35 am #

I was wondering that too. I didn’t want to say anything because I don’t want Zac to think I’m not cool…

• May 12, 2011 at 11:38 am #

Google, boys. Google.

SMH = “shake/shaking my head”

May 12, 2011 at 11:39 am #

I kinda like Sh!t in my hat better.

May 12, 2011 at 11:34 am #

I know, I know…*shrugs and holds head in shame*

May 12, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Anytime! Glad to take one for the team, as it were.

• johnking82
        May 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

in the can!

2. May 12, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Nice graphic (for you). Sorry I couldn’t pitch in, bro.

I love canned beer!!

3. May 12, 2011 at 11:23 am #

I stopped drinking Newcastle sometime in the eighties because of what you mentioned, it became watered down piss. Before that though, it wasn’t too bad, much more tasty than many of the domestics available at that time. Thanks for the review, I may pick up a single can just to see how it compares to my rusty memory of those times.

May 12, 2011 at 11:37 am #

I would, it won’t set you back but a couple bucks, couch change. I was actually surprised by how much more lively the brew was. Everything from the head and lacing all the way to the nose, much more pronounced.

4. May 12, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Newcastle is my parents’ “go to” beer. They load up on twelve-packs of the stuff whenever they go to the big liquor mart. Although they often seem to like the good stuff I bring by when I visit, they can never remember the names of the beers. I’d say they’re stuck in a Newcastle rut.

I can only assume that massive amounts of preservatives and clarifying agents go into the bottled version of Newcastle to prevent it from skunking. Now I’m slightly curious to try the canned version.

May 12, 2011 at 11:45 am #

Like I told Will, you can get a can for couch change. Its cheap, and actually pretty good. I’m not going to say it rocked my world, because it didn’t but in comparison to the bottle it is night and day. Like a different beer entirely.

5. Carmen
    May 12, 2011 at 11:45 am #

Newcastle on tap in an English pub is a very different creature than what you get out of bottles here in the US. I was so glad when I saw the cans, for all the same reasons you mentioned. It does the brew some justice for once. Still, it is not as good as getting it from a pub. I was actually in Newcastle just last summer, and disappointingly the first pub I stopped in at had it only in bottles! It felt like going to Texas for BBQ and getting served a plate of stuff that comes from those mass-distributed plastic tubs of BBQ in the supermarket! I was miffed.

May 12, 2011 at 11:49 am #

There ought to be a law that all pubs in Newcastle have Newcastle on tap! I’m just thinking I wonder if it would be good on Nitro.

• May 12, 2011 at 11:49 am #

Everything’s better with Nitro! 🙂

6. May 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

It’s funny how I remember discovering newcastle when I first started drinking beer and thinking I was someone ahead of the curve. Guess when all you’re friends are drinking coors and miller it is easy to feel like newcastle is some undergound item.

May 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

No More. Once you get into the Big Boy beers, you quickly realize that Newcastle is pretty weak. That said, it is definitely better in cans.

7. May 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

Good for them. I hope they release their new seasonals in cans too so I won’t try them either.

May 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

You never know Scott, you could be missing out.

• May 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Ha ha!!

May 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

Hey I got it in the can last night, and it was pretty good…

• May 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

Alright now…

8. alex
    May 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Where can I buy the cans?

May 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

I’m not sure, I got mine at Brewforia in Boise, ID. I’m assuming they sell them all over the place.

9. Ryan
    August 15, 2012 at 1:03 am #

Newcastle in a can is my favorite beer. Wish I could find it for a reasonable price in the can. It goes camping with us on every trip.