Weyerbacher Heresy: Call Me a Heretic!

If this were the Dark Ages, I’d be roasting on a spit right now, because I’m a huge fan of Heresy.  Not the religious type  (but I’m probably guilty of that, too), but of Weyerbacher’s wonderful barrel-aged stout.

Heresy starts life as Weyerbacher’s Old Heathen imperial stout, which is then aged in oak barrels that were used to make Kentucky bourbon, turning a guilty pleasure into an  absolutely sinful brew.

The pour was as black as brown can be, with a generous and foamy tan head.  Coming off the top were the sweet scents of vanilla, bitter chocolate, malt and dates.  What a candied nose this beer has!

Things got a little more complex when I took a sip.  This beer is a real warmer, with a rich chocolate flavor  hinted with vanilla leading the way, followed by a bready finish that leaves a touch of dates and bourbon on your breath.  All of these flavors complement each other and stay in perfect balance as they blossom and recede.  This is one well-crafted and delicious beer!

So if heresy is a crime, I’m guilty.  This beer is the perfect companion for a cold winter’s night, especially with it’s warming 8% ABV.  I had the chance to try this side-by-side with Dragon’s Milk, another barrel aged wonder (in this case an ale) and it really stood it’s ground.  This is a special beer, and it is one I plan to put into regular rotation (especially because Mrs. Jim loved it, too).

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Uncategorized

19 Comments on “Weyerbacher Heresy: Call Me a Heretic!”

February 10, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

Seriously, How do you get a wife that loves beer? Kathy liked the Ninkasi Oatis, because she said it tasted like Michelob! Freakin’ Michelob! I’m at a loss as to how to get her to open up to all the great brews I have in the house! But this is really off topic. Sounds great Jim. Enjoy it. Looks like another east coast brew. You certainly have a good selection. That and Dragon’s milk in one night, sounds like we went to bed a little tipsy… 😉

• February 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

Naw, I wasn’t tipsy. The Dragon’s Milk was for my beer-living wife, she just let me have a couple of sips. She loves great beer AND she shares!

2. Rob Crozier
    February 10, 2010 at 6:49 pm #

I am a big fan of Weyerbacher beers but haven’t tried this one yet – must get to store to buy. I am lucky to have my wife as a partner but my love of beer is definitely something we do not share – I tried to get her to take a sniff of The Reverend last weekend and she wasn’t biting. Oh, well.

• February 10, 2010 at 7:00 pm #

More for you, Rob. I just “discovered” Weyerbacher and look forward to exploring the line. What should I try next?

• dylan Wood
        February 10, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

Try some Dragonhead from Orkney Scotland.

3. February 11, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

@Dylan – I just looked up Dragonhead, and it looks like a really interesting brew. I’d love to try it and experience the mouthfeel. My (limited) experience with low ABV (4% in this case) / high-flavor brews is that they smell and taste the part, but the low-gravity nature of the beer leads to a bit of a watery mouthfeel. I wonder if that’s the case here…

4. Katie Pizzuto
    February 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

I dig Weyerbacher’s Insanity…haven’t tried Heresy yet, but it’s now on my list 😉

February 17, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

Jim said he would send me some! 🙂

• Katie Pizzuto
        February 17, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

Oh, I see…you just GOT it like that, huh? Maybe I’ll barter with Jim for some….his Heresy for my stout-infused chocolate truffles.

• February 17, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

Done! Where do i sign?!

February 17, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Apparently Blood is thicker than water, but not chocolate! Fail! 😦

• Katie Pizzuto
          February 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

Fear not, Don, I’m all talk….my truffles wouldn’t travel anywhere near as well as a bottle of beer. 😉

February 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

Katie, You don’t understand! Jim will drive to your house with the beer in hand for truffles!

• Katie Pizzuto
          February 17, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

Well then, I guess I better clear a path on that ice-riddled walk of mine…NOT 🙂

• February 17, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

If I slip, the beer will break. Just sayin’…

• Katie Pizzuto
          February 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

Next time I make ’em I’ll let you know….we can definitely barter. I’ll even let you leave the beer in the mailbox so you don’t have to make the walk 🙂

• February 17, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

I am in Northen NJ, Katie and I have a car.

5. Katie Pizzuto
    February 17, 2010 at 3:52 pm #

You could always leave a care package in the mailbox….put the little red flag up. Save you the trouble of getting out of the car.

Seriously, though, I will let you know when I make the next batch…be happy to barter 🙂

1. Keep Your Summer Beers, Gimme Flavor! « Beer & Whiskey Brothers - June 30, 2010

[…] me like an epiphany, and I headed out to the beer store to remedy the situation.  I picked up some Weyerbacher Heresy, the delicious barrel-aged Dragon’s Milk, a selection of dark and powerful beers from […]