Cheap Thrills

ScreamI’m a big fan of Long Trail Double Bag Ale, so I was intrigued when I saw they offered an Imperial Porter in a big bottle.  The fact that the bottle was labeled “Brewmaster Series” further piqued my curiosity.  The fact that it was less than $3.00 for a 22 ounce bottle and had an ABV of 8.3% sealed the deal.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I popped the top, but I was pretty sure it would be worth every penny I spent…

photo-3All in all, this was true.  The pour was inky black with a small toffee-colored head.  The smell was dominated by cut pine with a hint of pink grapefruit and coffee.  The first sip was dominated by bitterness.  There was an intense piney taste of the hops with an undercurrent of bitter chocolate and smoky oak.  There was also the taste of coffee typically associated with an Imperial Porter.  The oak and the coffee lingered a while after the sip was completed.  All in all, it wasn’t too complex, but it was a satisfying glass of beer.

The big question with any beer I try is if I would buy it again.  At $7.00 for a 22ounce bottle I would hesitate, but for under $3.00, it’s a no-brainer.  This is a very serviceable beer that satisfies.  It’s not special, but it’s interesting enough, especially at this price point.

If you’re on a beer budget and are looking for a dark beer brewed with care, I don’t think you can do much better than the Long Trail Imperial Porter.   It’s a cheap thrill of the best kind.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Beer

9 Comments on “Cheap Thrills”

1. October 12, 2009 at 3:37 pm #

Where did you find this for that price? That’s a great deal! I picked up a bottle of this in Vermont for around $7! I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ll come back to compare notes when I do.

• Jim
      October 12, 2009 at 3:41 pm #

It was labelled for like $2.85 at the Liquor Outlet in Boonton. Perhaps it was mislabeled (or perhaps I misread). I’ll have to double check the receipt.

2. October 12, 2009 at 3:43 pm #

Well, that’s a great bargain! That’s like the price of Ripple!

• Jim
      October 12, 2009 at 3:52 pm #

That’s exactly what I thought. High caliber wino beer! Hooray!!

3. October 12, 2009 at 5:09 pm #

My favorite store to go to, now if there was a homebrewing store like the liquor outlet around here I’d be a happier man!

I had a 2oz tasting the Longtrail Imperial Porter on draft at the Cloverleaf in Caldwell NJ a couple weeks back when I picked up a growler of the Sorachi Ace. I thought it was pretty good on the very limited tasting. I’m doing a Porter Beer Brawl in November and we are going to be using this brew. Looking forward to trying it with a bunch of other porters.

• Jim
      October 12, 2009 at 5:43 pm #

I’m very interested to see how this puppy stacks up in the beer brawl. It’ll be enlightening to read (or hear the podcast of) your impression in the context of the competition.

Does Victory’s Baltic Thunder qualify for the comparo?

4. Jim
    October 12, 2009 at 11:19 pm #

Scott from the BrewClub had me second-guessing what I paid for this bottle. I just checked the receipt and confirmed that this beer was a smokin’ bargain. It listed for $3.25 for the 22oz bottle, but I saved 10% for buying 12 or more bottles (yes, I have a problem saying no at the shelf – I do better at the fridge, so these should last a bit). Final cost was $2.93. A lot of beer for three bucks indeed.

Tonight I’m having my other big cheap bottle watching my Jets on MNF, a Victory Prima Pils I got for..well, nothing? It’s not on the reciept – I’ll have to double check the box!

UPDATE: Not in the fridge, not in the box. So the good news is I didn’t steal a beer. The bad news is no Prima Pils for me tonight. Oh well, still have a few other tasty options!

• October 13, 2009 at 12:48 am #

That’s a sweet deal indeed! I go all the way to where the stuff is brewed and pay $8! Gotta to try that place in Boonton soon!

• Jim
        October 13, 2009 at 12:52 am #

Save your pennies and go big. I live their 10% off when you purchase 12 bottles deal. It’s especially sweet if you throw in a couple of cheapies like this guy. It’s like they are free!