It’s Friday!! Whatcha Having?

barkeepIt’s been a long week for us here at BW&B and we’re totally stoked it’s Friday!  For me, Friday means stopping off at the beer store and picking up a few new gems to try. Today I’m looking for the Bruery’s Maple Harvest (Nate from THFB inspired me) and something new from the folks over at Southern Tier.  The rest will be decided at the shelf.

I also might take a nip of the Elijah Craig 12-year old whiskey I bought a couple of weeks back.  I’m still learning to love whiskey, which strikes me as being oddly comparable to learning how to tolerate cigarettes so you can look cool smoking.  I’m sure many of you disagree, but the takeaway is I’m trying!

Don will share his plans in the comments, and I encourage you to do the same.  Stop lurking and start sharing – let us know what you’re in the mood for!

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Brotherhood, Whiskey

25 Comments on “It’s Friday!! Whatcha Having?”

1. Jeff Schwartz
    October 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm #

I’ll be stopping by Rock Bottom on the way home for a quick happy hour with a few buddies. I’m not usually a fan of such a big ‘chain’ place – but they have a cask conditioned red ale on right now which is actually quite tasty. Will follow that up later with a big hearty Dry Creek Valley zin with my wife while we veg watching some tv to end the week….

• Jim
      October 9, 2009 at 4:02 pm #

That Red Ale sounds tasty, Jeff. I do the same thing with my wife – pop open a corked beverage (usually a big beer) and watch our shows off the DVR. Not exactly quality time, but a good time nonetheless. I can already hear Top Chef calling my name…

2. Rob Crozier
    October 9, 2009 at 4:06 pm #

I plan on tasting the bottle of ale from Scotland (not a Scotch Ale mind you) that my older brother bought me for my recent birthday. I can’t for the life of me remember the name…oh well. Speaking of Scotch Ale, I have a few bottles of Founders Scotch Ale and cans of Oskar Blues Old Chub still in the fridge. If the first ale doesn’t get me, I’ll move onto the wee heavy and really have a fun night.

I usually try to tie in a trip to the store (Liquor Outlet in Boonton) on my ride home from work on Friday night but money’s been tight and my trips there have been infrequent at best. I’ll have to settle for what I already have in my fridge although reading your review of Southern Tier’s Choklat got my stout juices flowing. Hmmm…maybe I can bust open my piggy bank and count my change hoping I have enough for a bottle?

• Jim
      October 9, 2009 at 4:21 pm #

Sounds like a fun night whichever way you go, Rob. If you’ve gotta break the (piggy) bank, Southern Tier is a good way to go. I also love Stone’s beers for being complex, satisfying and affordable. I think you just made me add thier Arrogant Bastard Ale to my weekend beer list!

• Rob Crozier
        October 12, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

Tried the Scottish beer over the weekend…very interesting and very appropriate for this blog as it incorporates beer and scotch whisky at the same time. The beer is from Innis & Gunn and its brewed in Edinburgh, Scotland. Its is oak aged and after a few sips, the mix of oakiness and honey blend enough that the beer has overtones of a watered down scotch. It was very pleasant, and very drinkable indeed. I’m not sure where my brother bought the bottle but I will find out to seek out more.

I also had a Sam Adams Imperial Stout. I was impressed with the other two beers in the Imperial series but not this one – it tried too hard to be something its not. It was too caramelly and there wasn’t enough of the coffee, chocolate and malt tones that I’m used to and have tasted in other imperial stouts. My fave that I’ve tasted so far is Duie du Ciel! Peche Mortel – you can find at Boonton Liquor Outlet. Its not cheap though – $5 for an 11.5 oz bottle but definitely worth it.

• Jim
          October 12, 2009 at 2:11 pm #

I love the Innis and Gunn cask-aged beer. It’s a smoky delight.
          I’ve also tried a couple of things from Duie Du Ciel and have been impressed. Those kids up in Montreal really know how to brew some beer. My wife’s favorite is from another Montreal brewer, Unibroue’s Maudite.

3. October 9, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

I have to visit this place in Boonton sometime. Seems to be the Mecca for beer in N. NJ! For me, probably not having anything tonight, but I did have the Shmaltz Freaktoberfest last night. Perhaps I’ll open my Southern Tier Pumking over the weekend.

• Jim
      October 9, 2009 at 6:09 pm #

I don’t even know what a Schmaltz is, but it sounds fancy (you know, all schmaltzy and such). I’ll have to add it to the ever-growing list! Liquor Outlet is on my way home, they have a nice selection and fair prices, so it’s easy to stop. I’ll also hit Bottle King for a case of Storm King Stout (the house beer) and browse at Gary’s in Wayne. There’s also a local shop by me that has a decent selection, but they gouge on price. It’s a good place to pick up beers I missed (like Exit 11) because they tend to sit.

4. October 9, 2009 at 6:57 pm #

Shmaltz Brewing makes the He’Brew line of beers. I think they are out of New York. I got suckered into buying it. If you see the labeling, you’ll know why! That review will go up soon I guess. .

Anyway, I’ve found Total Wine is OK and surprisingly the new Whole Foods in Paramus has a nice selection too. Once in awhile I’ll drive up to Bardonia, NY and stop in Cable Beverages. Place is unreal.

• Jim
      October 9, 2009 at 7:06 pm #

I’ve been to the Whole Foods and the selection was nice but the prices were nuts! I guess you can say that about the entire store. I’ve seen the Hebrew beers, but was put off by the gimmicky name. Is their stuff any good?

5. Jim
    October 9, 2009 at 7:15 pm #

I’ll have to check out Cable Beverages. It’s on my wife’s way home from work. Just think – I can place orders with her!

6. October 9, 2009 at 8:20 pm #

Regarding He’Brew, I’ve only had the one beer so far and it wasn’t that good. Liz OTOH, liked the one she tried and other people seem to like their stuff too.

Yeah, the Whole Foods prices are a bit high, but you’ll find Cable’s to be up there as well, although they have an incredible selection of crafts and imports. I’ve found stuff there I can’t find anywhere else, but its a trip I take only once in awhile.

7. Jeff Schwartz
    October 9, 2009 at 8:42 pm #

I’ve found the wine prices at Whole Foods (here in California) to not be as bad the prices throughout the rest of the store. Trust me – few ‘bargains’ but not really marked up much compared to other local stores. They tend to have pretty nice selections and I usually find the wine buyer both accessible and knowledgeable…

• Jim
      October 9, 2009 at 8:55 pm #

Whole Foods in NJ doesn’t have the highest prices around, but they’re far from the cheapest. I think I’ve been spoiled by beer stores that are closer, less expensive and have a better selection. I will say I was kind of impressed when I saw the beer selection at Whole Foods. It’s well thought out.

8. Steve
    October 9, 2009 at 8:43 pm #

Sticking with the VT theme, it’ll be some Otter Creek Copper Ale for me this evening. Nice autumnal beer with an odd, yet still pleasant, buttery after taste. Cheers

• Jim
      October 9, 2009 at 8:52 pm #

I’ve never sampled Otter Creek, but it sounds perfect for tonight. I’m in the mood for something hoppy, big and sweet! I REALLY need a beer!

October 9, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

Well I finally made it back into the office, just in time to not work! So I thought I would share what I might be drinking tonight. First let me tell you that last night I broke open the seal on a bottle of 12 year old Van Winkles Special Reserve. Lot B. I will definitely hit that again, look for my review on Monday. I also have a few better beers that I might try to crack into as well. I went to the Boise Co Op (Idaho’s version of Whole Foods) and picked up a bottle of Trappists Rochefords 10. I might hit that, or leave it for a special occasion, haven’t decided yet. I also have a bottle of Dogfather Imperial Stout by Laughing Dog Brewery in Sandpoint ID, that I’ve been hanging on to for the right occasion. I also still have several brews and 50ml bottles of whiskey from my birthday. Maybe the Guiness or the newcastle Nut Brown Ale could take a header this weekend. It seems like I have a lot of choices, but I’m thinking something dark and creamy to back my wheat juice from the van winkles would be just the ticket this weekend! Have a great one everyone!

10. Jeff Schwartz
    October 10, 2009 at 3:21 am #

The Red Ale was off at Rock bottom but they had just tapped a new Cask Conditioned Pale Ale. Very tasty and a good start to the weekend!

js

11. Jim
    October 10, 2009 at 1:34 pm #

I went a little nuts at the beer store last night and discovered that they give a 10% discount when you buy 12 or more big bottles. Needless to say I indeed saved 10%! Got some great suff though.

12. nostawetan
    October 11, 2009 at 7:12 pm #

Jim,

I know what you mean about going nuts at a beer store. If there is a sale I’m in trouble. As far as your whiskey development goes, I understand what you mean. I hope you grow to love it…at least you are trying like you say. Maybe you could do a few bourbon beers to acclimate yourself more.

• Jim
      October 11, 2009 at 9:29 pm #

I tried the Elijah Craig 12 again last night. I’m about halfway through the fifth (is that a tenth?) and I’m warming up to it. I put it over ice, which cooled things off a bit, but in general I’m getting more acclimated to whiskey and starting to appreciate the flavors. Baby sips…

13. nostawetan
    October 11, 2009 at 7:12 pm #

I forgot to log out…that was Mike

14. Jeff Schwartz
    October 11, 2009 at 8:55 pm #

Weekend update from the Bay Area…Sierra Nevada Torpedo Double IPA in the fridge – looking forward to trying it after taking the kids to miniature golf.

15. Jeff Schwartz
    October 11, 2009 at 8:56 pm #

Make that Extra IPA not Double…guess I need one already….

• Jim
      October 11, 2009 at 9:29 pm #

It might help your golf game, too!