Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve: The Peanut Butter and Jelly of the Whisky World

This is the first single Malt Scotch I’ve had from the Dalmore, but I can guarantee it won’t be my last!  I was sent a sample for review a few months ago, and I really gave this a good go!  Not only did I have it with a cigar, but I finished the sample and had 3 cigars, all of varying sizes and strengths to really get the impact of this whisky.

I started with a Perdomo Factory second Torpedo.  This was a well crafted spicy little number that was a great smoke.  I think it was a second, because there was a slight seam to the wrapper leaf that you can sort of make out in the photo.  I could have easily ripped the wrapper by taking it in and out of my mouth with my fingers rubbing over the seam, but I figured it out soon enough and any wrapper damage was avoided.

What you don’t know about me is that I really don’t care for a really spicy cigar, just like I don’t care for overly peated scotch whiskys.  This cigar was just on the edge of acceptable for my palate and under different circumstances I may have pitched it in favor of something more to my liking, however this is where the whisky comes in.  When I smoke a spicy cigar I have to drink something, because it creates a lump in my throat that can only be removed with a sip of something.  Well I’m here to tell you this was the perfect something.

This Whisky had a touch of brininess to it at first with then a sweet leathery flavor around mid palate with a nice sherry finish that was dry but lasted about 20 seconds. All the while flavors of plum and dried apricot, mango and pineapple were dancing around on my tastebuds.  This was a truly unique whisky, made so much better by the cigar, and vice versa!

Once I finished the Perdomo, I moved onto a Nub Connecticut shade Dominican.  This was a much lighter cigar by comparison, but the whisky changed a bit and took a more dominant role in the flavor mixing.  Lots of leather with the lighter cigar with hints of oak and tobacco coming out of the Dalmore.

I finished the night with an Alec Bradley Platinum Maduro.  This was the heaviest of the three, with a big and buttery smoke and big yet smooth flavor.  for this stick, the Dalmore was again the perfect companion.  This brought out some of the sweeter elements of the whiskey a caramelly, rum and vanilla flavor, and a nice plum with sherry was emphasized.

I don’t know how they did it, perhaps they are Whisky Wizards, but the people over at the Dalmore have created a unique whisky for cigar pairing.  Their Cigar Malt Reserve was exquisite and somehow paired perfectly with any cigar I chose to smoke.  This is an 88 proof whiskey that has been aged in 70% sherry casks, and 30% bourbon casks.  It doesn’t say for how long it is aged, but whatever the time it is just right.  It is part of their “Most Exclusive” collection, and unfortunately I looked online and the cheapest I can find this is $132 a 750 ML bottle.  Good thing I was sent a sample of this most amazing Scotch Whisky.

If you are a cigar smoker I can think of no finer whisky to have with a smoke.  If you aren’t a cigar smoker…well that is a shame, but I’m sure the Dalmore has plenty of other good whiskys for you too.

Tags: ,

Categories: Lifestyle, Scotch Whisky, Whiskey

10 Comments on “Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve: The Peanut Butter and Jelly of the Whisky World”

1. johnking82
    September 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

I was at a bachelor party this weekend in Lake Geneva, WI. I was at a bar filled with many-a bachelorette parties. I was tired of drinking beer so I switched to a Makers neat (it was the only “decent” bourbon the establishment had) and had it in a nice snifter. I felt like such a tool drinking out of my snifter while everyone else was spilling Lite’s or Light’s all over each other. Then a rather attractive older lady walked over to me and asked “I wanted to come over and ask how old you were, you just look a lot more refined than everyone else here.” Maybe it was the 8 week beard, maybe it was the wedding ring, but older chicks defined the refine Mr. King.

September 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

So…was she hot? 😉 John, it is part of your new place in life. No longer are you the 20 something party animal, now you are married, and your tastes are becoming more refined. Welcome to the club my friend!

• September 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Maybe there’s some truth to the rumor that cougars and bears have been known to mate in the wild…

2. September 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

I’ve had the Dalmore Cigar Malt before. I loved it but I found it for much cheaper than $135 a bottle. It might have been different because I can’t remember if it was “Reserve” or not but I ended up spending aroun $65 for my 750ml bottle. Damn good drink to pair with any smoke though. The sting of the tobacco on the taste buds mellows out the bite of the drink.

September 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

This is different than the regular Cigar Malt. The Reserve is part of their “Most Exclusive” collection. I’m sure that is why the high price tag. And I have no idea what makes it more exclusive than other versions, but It was truly great, and worth it if you can 1 find it, and 2 afford it. That said I will look for their regular Cigar Malt because I’d be very interested to see how it matches up.

3. Jeff Schwartz
    September 19, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

The Dalmore 12 has been my ‘goto’ whisky for years! I always have a some around…

September 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

Hey Jeff. If it is half as good as the Cigar Malt Reserve, it is a pretty fine Whisky. I may have to check into this line!

4. September 20, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

One I haven’t tried but I have to admit I’ve been dabbling in the dark side of late. I love bourbon and a cigar; in fact, tonight I paired a Willett 7 year cut to about 110 and a 1987 Henry Clay Breva Conserva. Both were fantastic. My Scotch preference tilts toward a Highland/Speyside as I prefer the more floral and honeyed selections. If you want to get crazy, grab a cigar and a Yamazaki 12 year Japanese SM whisky.

5. Kevin
    May 30, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

just stumbled across this article while checking what other people are doing for cigar pairings… the cigar malt deserve from dalmore is awesome as is the 12 yr… generally most of them are great and the 12 yr is much more affordable for anyone not looking to spend about $100 on a bottle… the stocks are 10-15 yr on the cigar malt but your guess is as good as mine as to how long its aged together, but you’re definitely getting a quality bottle regardless… if you venture into this again with cigars I would recommend alec bradly prensado for sure for a full bodied smoke and a tabak especial dulce (made by drew estate) for a more mild/medium smoke… cool review though, I always enjoy info and feedback from others about scotch and cigars… cheers!

May 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

Gonna have to try and find the 12 once I get a job! Sounds great.