Pedal ‘Til You Puke: Beer Bikes Are Awesome!

The beer bike is a glorious invention, one that brings together two things that many craft beer geeks love; cold brews and pedal-powered vehicles.   The only way this thing could be any better is if it helped you grow a brewer’s beard as well.  That would be the beer geek hat trick!

Anatomy of a Beer Bike (In German, which makes it more authentic!)

The design is pretty slick. 10 to 16 folks sit on stools that ring the outside of the vehicle.  Each stool has a set of pedals on it, and each rider helps to pedal the big bike along while enjoying some crisp pilsners or refreshing lagers.  There’s a driver on board (who doesn’t drink) and a bartender, who keeps the riders lubricated with libations as they do their thing.

In most cases, the behemoth bike restricted to the bike lanes where it’s not interfering with other people who are actually trying to have a productive day.

According to Monsters & Critics, this phenomenon got started in Cologne, Germany about five years ago and has spread like wildfire across Germany and into Holland.

There have been some bumps in the road though.  Beer Bikes have been formally banned in Düsseldorf, where they were declared a traffic nuisance, and there are movements afoot in other cities to kick them to the curb.

To me they look like poetry in motion.  As long as folks don’t overdo it (which isn’t something we can take for granted here) I could see these being an awesome addition to places like Denver’s 16th Street Mall.  Can you imagine doing this during GABF? Awesome!:

UPDATE: Thanks to Beerinator from The Beer Mapping Project for pointing out that there are Beer Bikes in America.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Beer, Lifestyle

28 Comments on “Pedal ‘Til You Puke: Beer Bikes Are Awesome!”

1. May 10, 2011 at 11:57 am #

I guess it’s a slow news day after posting those Breckenridge ads, huh?

• May 10, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

I guess. But these bikes are news to me and I wanted to share. A cool idea, but I fear we’d ruin it here between frat boys and lawyers.

May 10, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Looks like they have one in Amsterdam…Wow what a trip!

• May 10, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Yes, and pretty sure the Bong Bikes will be popping up there as well! 🙂

• May 10, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

Duuude, like, are we even going anywhere, or is, like, the city totally moving around us?!!

May 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Moving cities…haha , pass the Doritos

3. May 10, 2011 at 11:59 am #

The Pedal Pub has been around for quite a few years in Minnesota. http://www.pedalpub.com/

May 10, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Jim, Looks like there is one in Milwaukee! I know where you will be this summer.

• May 10, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

Thanks for the tip. I looked for something like this but couldn’t find anything. This calls for an UPDATE!

4. May 10, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

We are another manufacturer of beer bikes known as The Party Bike. We are made in the USA, shipped from the USA and less expensive in the USA. Please visit our website at http://www.thepartybike.com or like us on our Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bend-OR/The-Party-Bike/204240996271744. Thanks!!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Did you cut and paste that out of your brochure?

5. May 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

Too funny. Would be a huge hit @ the Jersey shore!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Sure, they could load them up with guido’s and drive them into the sea. Nothing but a bronzer slick to know they were evah here!

6. Don Larsen
    May 10, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

Sierra Nevada has one of these bikes and I thought I saw a photo from GABF last year

• May 10, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

Hmm…I’ll have to check that out, Don.

May 10, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

You’re right Don! It was at GABF last year! It is one of the few things I can remember about Saturday night! 😉

• May 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Just found a website for “Denver Pedal Hopper,” Sierra Nevada could have rented that one. Didn’t even know they had come to town, thanks for the article Jim!

• May 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

You’re welcome. Once again my ineptitude and lazy reporting have made someone’s world a little better! 🙂

May 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

And mine a little worse with the whole crappy map thing, so it is a win-win for you Jim.

• May 10, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

W00t!

• May 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

Hello,
          My name is Grant Barnes and I’m responding to Will’s comment about our Denver business. I am half owner of Pedal Hopper Denver and found your spot on beer bikes (or Fiets Cafe’s as their called in the Nederlands, where they originated). We’ve only been in business here for a few weeks, but are getting a fantastic response! If you would like to learn more about us, please feel free to contact me or check out our website at http://www.pedalhopper.com . We currently have one bike in Denver and plan to add a second in the near future. We think that there is a great place for us in this market! Should I be able to help answer any questions about our business, please let me know.
          Jim & Don, if you do another spot on beer cycles we’d love to participate!
          Thanks!!
          Grant

May 31, 2011 at 9:14 am #

Do you have any tours planned during GABF? That is when Jim and I will be in town again. We’d love to take a cruise with you.

• May 31, 2011 at 9:34 am #

Don,
          We are expecting that to be a busy weekend for us, with all of the beer lovers rolling into town. We plan to add another route in N. Lodo (Just a few blocks from GABF) called the “Brewery Express” that might be right up your alley. We also have great routes in a couple of historic neighborhoods and bar districts just off the skirt of downtown. Keep in touch with us as you plan your trip to Denver and we’ll be glad to get you guys on the bike!
          Grant

7. May 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

I saw this a couple of years ago and had the same idea as you Jim, total GABF fun! There are a couple of Denver brew pub excursions for out of towners that this would work for as well. And with all of those people pedaling you wouldn’t have to worry about getting out of breath from the altitude!

• May 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

They should have commuter trains like this…

8. May 31, 2011 at 10:57 am #

Don,
    We’d love to have you! We’re pretty open on bookings for that weekend and hope to do some fun things with the beer lovers that will be rolling into town for GABF. We’re looking to add a “brewery express” route in N. Lodo in addition to our historic neighborhood and bar district routes that are on the skirt of downtown Denver.
    Keep in touch as the time nears, we’d love to have you on the bike!
    Cheers!
    Grant
    p.s. sorry if I’ve posted twice, my first response didn’t seem to go through.