Its the Weekend! Whatcha Drinkin’?: Haggard Basketball Dad Edition

Whatcha doin’ this weekend?  My world has been all about basketball for about 5 months now.  My 16 year old son has always loved the sport, and is getting pretty good at it.  So as a loving parent that wants the best and most for his kids, I have indulged his love with basketball camps, personal trainers, and a virtual fortune in shoes.  His latest pair cost me $150 and he will need another in about 4 months!

His season came to a close in February with an unsuccessful division playoff to get to the State tournament.  So, basketball over for the season…right?  WRONG!  In late February he tried out for a travelling basketball team and made the roster.  So for the last month and a half we have been travelling to tournaments every other weekend.  A month ago they were in Twin Falls Idaho for two days, and the last one and the one this weekend were both in Boise.  The Boise tournaments aren’t a big deal, just we need to go and sit around for a LONG time!  His last tournament he had a game at 4:30 and his second game was at 10:50!  That is PM!  It was the same the Saturday in Twin Falls.  A 9:30 AM game, then an 8:30 PM game.  You would think that the schedulers could do a bit better!

So I am sure that this weekend will be no exception.  It seems whenever you get 75 teams playing in 5 high schools in 15 gyms there are necessarily gaps.  So not a lot of beer can be consumed within the gap times as I am with High School kids and have to drive.  I am hoping though to get to some pretty interesting stuff this weekend.  I have a couple of samples of Angels Envy, a new Bourbon that just hit the market.  This one is finished in Port Wine Casks.  Sounds very interesting!  I also have a special one off brew that Laughing Dog put together under contract.  It is supposed to be a Hopslam clone that is brewed with honey.  Those should do me pretty well this weekend.  How about you?  Are you shuttling kids all over?  What are you drinking this weekend?  Let us know in the comments.

Tags: , ,

Categories: Beer, Lifestyle, Whiskey

40 Comments on “Its the Weekend! Whatcha Drinkin’?: Haggard Basketball Dad Edition”

1. April 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

I’m cleaning the garage, possibly brewing and otherwise puttering. Not sure what I’ll drink – maybe some of the homebrewed goodies I have from fledgeling pro brewers. I owe those folks some reviews!

April 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

I’ve seen your garage…It’ll take two weekends. But who knows, perhaps you will unearth some goodies that have been “hiding” in plain sight.

• April 8, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

O, I dug those out weeeeks ago!!

2. Rob Wallace
    April 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

Racking the Belgian Pale, Belgian Golden, and Belgian Strong Dark Ale into secondaries. Drinking Duvel and I imagine a Racer 5 or three.

April 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Sounds like a labor of love and some good IPA!

3. April 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

I will probably drink beer.

April 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

Well that is great Zac. I was thinking I would drink some water too, and maybe a diet beverage. 😉

• April 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

According to some study that recently came out, beer is better for hydration. So, skip the water.

April 8, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

Important safety tip! Maybe we should give beer to the basketball team? Just thinkin’

• April 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Only if they sign with the Alaskan National Guard. [See what I did there?]

April 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

Tricky…

4. johnking82
    April 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

I am bottling my bourbon barrel scotch ale and brewing my vanilla bourbon barrel imperial stout…bourbon. yum. I’l probably work in my yard because my goal is to have the kickingest ass garden on my block. Probably throw some wedding stuff and some fishing in their as well. Oh some running club BBQ as well.

Beer: My barleywine finally carbonated so that Sex Bomb will be drank. Then get into my West Coast shipment of Pliny and Blind Pig.

April 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Drink the Pliny quick. It fades very fast.

5. johnking82
    April 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

Oh thought you might like to know I got in trouble. If you read my blog there is a post where I show what I am aging. Well my fiance must not read that part because she went in my cellar to look for a beer and finally opened the door and saw my massive collection. So I guess I can never make the comment “I’m broke” again.

April 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Well John, what did you expect? You have yet to master the art of hiding your purchases…Rookie mistake. I have several brews in my car right now! 😉

• April 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

Not a good place to “cellar” beer for several very obvious reasons, Don. Hope it’s mostly Micky’s Malt Liquor.

April 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

No, I just leave it there for a couple days while I “make room” for it in my bunker.

6. April 8, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

Two of my friends and I are bottling our first-ever batch of home brew, a Chinook IPA from Northern Brewer. We will also be racking our Saison into secondary and starting a new batch of Tripel IPA. It’s exciting to be making our own stuff after all these years of careful “research.”

There’s a Saison and an IPA from Nøgne Ø in my local store that I’m dying to try, so I’ll probably bring those along to the brewing/bottling session.

• April 8, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Yay, drinking!! I mean brewing (while you’re drinking)!! Yay!!

• April 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Yay, indeed! Your home brew posts and (especially) the comments on those posts have been very helpful.

April 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

I especially like the ones where they tell Jim how stupid he is… 😉

• April 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Yeah, I’d imagine the comments are better than my weak content on the subject. 🙂

It’s a great time – enjoy – and don’t forget the drinking part. Yay!

April 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Awesome. Sounds like all that “research” is paying off!

• April 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

I should know for sure in 2-3 weeks. I need to temper my expectations re: the first batch, but I really can’t wait to try it.

• Mark
      April 8, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

I bought a bottle of the Saison a few weeks ago and have been saving it for some outdoor dining but the weather hasn’t cooperated.

Let us know what you think.

• April 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Will do!

• April 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

The Saison was terrific. Nicely balanced and understated spiciness. I think drinking it outdoors is essential, so stick to your plan.

7. April 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

It’s either going to be:

a) New Glarus Apple Ale, New Glarus ABT, New Glarus Two Women Lager, and a Captial Brewery Supper Club chaser, or…

b) tall crappy Budweiser on tap at the Blues regular season finale v. the Predators

April 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

I vote a).

8. Trevor B
    April 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

Whoohoo Montana Beer festival tonight I am drinking many of hundreds of beers, and I get in for free, since I am beer “expert” and can explain beer styles to patrons

• April 8, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

Have fun. I’m curious to hear how “expert” you’ll sound after 20 samples or so… 🙂

April 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Wow, I can tell we are brothers, because of our dashing good looks, and the fact I was going to make the exact same reply! 🙂

9. The Wookie
    April 8, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

I’ll be drinking some Shiner 102, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, some random brews from Saranac plus what I can steal from G-lo’s fridge. Nothing groundbreaking but this weekend is about basic downtime with basic brews.

Cheers!

April 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

We all need to recharge without too many challenges from time to time…even wookies.

10. April 9, 2011 at 12:44 am #

Well, I’m enjoying right now a Chimay ‘Blue’ after spending the day @ the Hospital with my new Daughter! 🙂 Its going to be a nutty weekend I think!

April 11, 2011 at 9:10 am #

Congratulations Scott, or should I say Dad. I’m sure you will be a great father.

11. April 9, 2011 at 8:26 pm #

Let me know how that port finish goes. The Woodford Reserve Sonoma Cutrer finish was the worst ever. Undrinkable. Have to make manhattans or something. I now only buy after sampling or a strong reccomendation. You folks are 3 for three. Storm King, Dragons Milk and Antique 107. Gotta try the Strahans still.

April 11, 2011 at 9:14 am #

I’ll let you know, but I haven’t gotten into it. This weekend ended up being a bit of a bust for me drinking wise. I’ll try to get to it this week.

12. Manny
    April 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

This was yard-work weekend. Duh. So yesterday I had Mayflower Spring Ale (Plymouth, MA), and today it’s Goose Island Summertime (Chicago). Both are very good. (But nothing beats Leinenkugel Summer Shandy after a day in the garden.)

Not sure why, but I also have Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot in the queue.

April 11, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Sounds like a good line up Manny. Jim is a big Summer Shandy drinker in the summer months. To me it sounds like eating paste, you know…you can do it but why?