Are You Ready for Whiskey in a Can?

There was a time in the history of spirits that the can was the sole receptacle of fizzy yellow beer.  Sure they had it in bottles too, but beer in a can was a lager, or perhaps a pilsner and it was made by a few huge breweries.  So the can got a bad name.  That is why during the early part of the microbrew explosion, bottles were the vessel of choice.  Not only did cans give the brew a funny taste, but it also gave beer a stigma for college kids and the great unwashed.  Well, that has seemed to have been dispelled with advances in can technology that doesn’t affect the flavor of the brew and the environmental argument that cans are better for packing in and out of places and to recycle.  So what is next for the can?  It seems that there are new frontiers opening up all the time…

How about spirits?  Why not?  This can of Whisky is the brainchild of Panama based Scottish Spirits.  Now I don’t know how much is in this can, probably some metric measurement, but it looks like it might be as many as 12 ounces.  The company does say it is enough for three people to “share” once opened.  But what if they don’t?  What if people just drink three people’s worth of scotch when they buy one of these things? It could have some consequences.

Let me go back to my younger years, not too far back, but about 12 years ago.  A friend of mine and I decided to go on a backpacking and fly fishing trip in Eastern Idaho.  We were sure to pack enough provisions for a couple of nights.  This included a couple fifths of whiskey, plenty of food, a water filter for drinking water from the river, and a .45 caliber handgun with about 250 rounds of ammo in a sock.  So we hike in about three miles and find a great place to set up camp. We get the tents pitched and the fly rods strung and we head out to the river.

It was a blustery day and as we fished the winds picked up more and more.  It hit a point where we could no longer cast our flies and we had to call it quits for the day.  Well the wind kept up.  It just kept blowing harder and harder to the point we began to hear these loud cracks echoing off the valley walls.  It was trees snapping in the sustained 60 MPH winds with gusts and microbursts up to 80 to 100 MPH.

So what do you do in a wind storm while camping?  Find a clearing and get drunk of course.  So that is what we did.  There was a great clearing just above our campsite so I got my fifth and my buddy got his and we drank them.  All of them.  Once the winds died down and all the trees were done snapping (which included an old snag in our campsite which I almost impaled myself on) we wondered what to do.  The fishing was going to suck after a huge barometric shift, so we knew that was out.  Then we remembered the gun!  Let’s shoot!

To make a long story short, we ended up shooting my buddy’s handgun for a couple of hours without incident.  However. this brings me back to the first part of the story.  We had two fifths of whiskey, but we limited ourselves because of weight.  If we had cans as an option we may have had several cans to drink!  YIKES!  The outcome may have been much different!  So I’m not saying that Whiskey or other spirits in cans wouldn’t sell, but there is the “stupid factor” that cannot be underestimated when packaging alcohol in containers that aren’t resealable.

What do you think?  Good idea or disaster in a can?  Let us know in the comments.

Categories: Lifestyle, Scotch Whisky, Whiskey

25 Comments on “Are You Ready for Whiskey in a Can?”

1. January 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

If this isn’t the clear successor to Four Loko, I don’t know what is!

Of course, it might be tough to get that cute co-ed to drink a can of whisky too fast…

January 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Maybe they could add some strawberry flavoring to it and put it in a brightly colored 24 oz can!

• January 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

No way, man. BLUE. Blue whiskey. F’n-A, man.

January 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

It could be blue, it could be green, it could be neon yellow, you’ll never know until you dump it out of the can!

January 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Life is like a can of scotch….you never know what you’re gonna get!

• January 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

All new Bubba Gump brand Scotch. Scotch Whiskey… Scotch tape… Scotch Guard…

January 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

I think someone has information overload…HEY TEX this ain’t Bing!

• January 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

🙂

2. January 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

Whisky in a can! Horrible idea!! I want to see the colour of whisky. Whisky is considerably expensive stuff here in Finland. I like it in a bottle and hopefully sometimes in my glass (no ice or water). Maybe vodka or another transparent alcohol.

January 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

I agree Hepuna, you want to see what you are buying. Too light and I won’t waste my time. I’m thinking these cans aren’t really meant for the connoisseur, however.

3. January 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

Was wondering what you would think of that, Don. Wonder if canned spirits would take off. There’s also the little 8 or 6 oz cans they could put the stuff in, too—if they wanted to be more responsible with quantity per can.

The thing about “Scottish Spirits” being headquartered in Panama is a little odd, though. A little marketing smoke and mirrors going on there that seems like it may backfire. They’re already putting whisky in a can. Just keep on going with the whackiness and fly that panama flag high.

January 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

Yeah…What’s next? Spanish Fly in a can? I’m thinking the can in the picture was a little larger, just based on the size of the tab to open it with. Nonetheless it is an intriguing idea, and one I’d try if offered.

4. January 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Not gonna do it, wouldn’t be prudent. Thousand points of light.

January 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm #

Aw Cmon Greg! Its always good to be imprudent every now and again! 😉

5. January 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen! That’s just what stupid people need . . . a six-pack of scotch. Crazy! Not to mention, what is the quality of said whiskey? Though I suppose that if you have arrived at the point in your life where you are willing to drink whiskey out of a can quality is no longer your biggest concern.

January 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

Now I think you are catching on Keila! It is about quantity. And hey, if you ar gonna be a drunk, be and environmentally consciences drunk. 🙂

6. Alex
    January 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm #

I would probably take it backpacking. You never know when you’ll need to sterilize a wound in the wilderness!

January 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Exactly Alex! You never know when someone will get bit by a rattlesnake or need some bit of frontier surgery…you know some sort of amputation.

7. scott
    January 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

Its like a new energy drink. They should call it Whup Ass. I’d open up a can of Whup Ass…. and drink it.

January 19, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Great marketing suggestion Scott. Perhaps you could be Whup Ass’ director of sales here in the states? 🙂

• scott
        January 19, 2011 at 11:55 am #

Ok, so I’d shape the cans like little wooden barrells, or at least paint then as if they were wooden barrells. Then have Whup Ass branded on the barrell. Target young idiots with the slogan: OPEN UP A CAN OF WHUP ASS ON ANY OCCASION! Small print reads: Whup Ass will make you look, feel, and act like an ass. I can see it now in every college town,” hey bro, pick up some Ass for the party tonight.” Lol, oh man I’ve over thought this but whisky in a can sounds like either really bad or where has it been all my life….

January 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Agreed! On all points.

8. January 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

Can you send me some? Like, make it get here in the next 20 minutes or so.

January 19, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Obviously that didn’t happen Daniel. However, you might want to tap into your Panamanian contacts if you want a taste. 😉

1. Scotch in a Can Is REALLY Happening! | Beer & Whiskey Brothers Blog - January 10, 2012

[…] I know I posted about this around 12 months ago.  But it seems this is actually going to happen!  Panama based Scottish Spirits is actually going […]