Guys Weekend: Houston, We Have a Problem!

This weekend I am going on my Annual…scratch that, 18 month….scratch that, every once in a while…Nah, Once in a blue moon guys weekend with my two best friends Mike and Lance.  The last time we did this I made a big mistake.  I bought Wild Turkey Bourbon, which is a solid choice, but Mike and Lance didn’t think so.  So this time I said I would supply the Whiskey.  This is a cinch because I have tons of Bourbon and Rye and Scotch Whisky to choose from.  But wait, I have a ton to choose from….

See last time we did this it was about 21 months ago, and I literally had no bourbon at home.  I had just finished my last bottle of knob creek. This time I’m a blogger that blogs mostly about Whiskey…I must have 40 or 50 whiskeys to choose from.  All with one or two drinks taken out of them…Lots of hooch!  How can this be a bad thing you ask?  Well I can’t bring it all, so what do I bring?

I figured there are some pretty easy divisions.  I only have one bottle of Scotch Whisky right now, so that goes.  I have several wheat bourbons, and many many rye bourbons, and a few bottles of rye.  So do I bring a few of each?  Do I bring my best bourbons?  What if they like them?  What if they drink them all?  I’ll have to restock!  Do I bring a range of bourbon styles?  Lower shelf, upper shelf, mid shelf?  Should I buy some new stuff just for the weekend?

So many ways I could go here you can see my dilemma.  So I thought I would bring this to the brain trust at B&WB and let you give me advice.  Should I try to wow them with all the progress I’ve made in my whiskey selection?  If you remember they weren’t enamored with the selection I produced last time.  What would you do?  What should I bring?

By the way I’m bringing the Beer too…I have a similar problem as my brother.

Tags:

Categories: Beer, Lifestyle, Scotch Whisky, Whiskey

6 Comments on “Guys Weekend: Houston, We Have a Problem!”

1. Bill Bennett
    November 11, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Fist question: do they like/appreciate whiskey? If no, is this a chance to influence their finer sensibilities? If yes, something distinctive that you can use to demonstrate complexities and nuances. If no, than something you like and can keep for yourself and a cheap bottle for them 🙂

This said, the general rule is to the effect that the first glass is for appreciation, after that, it is for consumption. Once consumption kicks in, go with the mid-grade stuff so as to keep everyone feeling spry in the morning and make it a bit easier on your wallet.

Not sure about specific recommendations as Beer is my thing much more so than whiskey (with Rum a close second). But if you want to draw a parallel, I leave the Kraken at home and bring the Myers or the Captain when I head out with the guys. This philosophy is driven by two points of consideration 1. will/do they care to notice the difference and 2. how easy is it to replace.

November 11, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

Good advice Bill. Especially about switching to the middle grade stuff as the evening wears on. And yes they love the stuff!

2. November 11, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

I’d go value for the whiskey – stuff that’s great, but not too pricey. This way you’re not wasting the “good stuff” on the unappreciative or getting upset if a bottle gets droped (or chugged, you animals!).

You turned me on to Four Roses Small Batch, which I think totally fits this bill.

On the beer front, back that whiskey! Bring stuff that pairs up nicely with the hooch, probably nothing to rare either. And also make sure you bring a bunch of sessionable stuff – you want to pace yourself. I’d say some cans of Dale’s Pale Ale, but that would be cruel because you can’t get it anymore… 😉

November 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

Good thoughts. Not sure if I’m going to pick up some beer for the weekend, or just bring the bunker.

3. November 12, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

Don – If your friends are not whiskey enthusiasts, then I agree with Jim and you go mainstream. I mean, how could they not like WT, that’s mainstream. If it were me, I’d bring a bottle of Old Weller Antique, Baby Saz and maybe an Evan Williams BIB. These are all reasonably priced, readily available, yet decent pours for any occasion. I’ve seen too many bottles of George T. Stagg or PVW 15 mixed with Diet Coke or slammed back, unappreciated.

November 12, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

I know these guys appreciate good bourbon, but I’m trying to figure out what to bring. I have some OWA and I know they like it, and it is pretty inexpensive around here. I also have some Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star wich I think is the absolute best of the bottom shelf brands. I might bring along some Elijah Craig and perhaps some Buffalo Trace too. The Baby Saz is a great idea. I’ll pick some up. I might also splurge and pick up a Rare Breed or a Kentucky Spirit too.