Great Divide Titan IPA: Remember the Titans

Coach Boone and Youst from the classic Disney film “Remember the Titans”.  This was a great movie, albeit a little sappy but tells of an interesting time in our nation’s history and how sport brought together people of different ethnicities and socioeconomic strata to fight for a common goal.  Blah blah blah.  The good thing here is I’m about to talk about beer.

Titans from Greek mythology were 12 Gods that essentially ran the universe.  A way to explain the natural phenomenon of every day life.  The seas swelled so Oceanus was angry, it was really hot, so Helios was having a bad day, etc.  They ran the world, so you can see the connections to Football, and beer…

I was getting worried that this beer had gone bad.  I had had it in my bunker for almost a year, and sure enough the date on the bottle was September 2009.  I knew I needed to drink it quickly or I was going to be wishing I had as I poured it down the drain.

I don’t know about you but IPAs are hard to get into.  Funny thing is I almost always like them when I do, but if I have a choice to open and drink something else, I almost always do.  Funny, I enjoy the flavor of IPAs but I think they get a little boring sometimes.  Always so fruity and piney…whatevs.  I want to be challenged.  For that reason alone I could see myself getting into sours some day, but I haven’t gotten to that point yet.

So here we are with Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewing in Denver Colorado.  I know these guys make good beer because Jim and I went to their brewery and had several while we were in Denver for GABF.  We both love Yeti, but we haven’t branched out too much from there.  So I finally cracked open the Titan IPA.

Well it poured nicely with a deep orange body and a one finger dense white head.  It’s aroma escaped and hit my nose before I even poured it, another good sign as there were no off putting smells there.  Nosing the beer in the glass there was some citrus and pine, almost a tropical smell as well with pineapple and perhaps a hint of banana.

The flavor was good.  It was a solid IPA.  Very piney with that pineapple flavor coming through.  There was also the bitterness that was followed by a bit of an astringent flavor.  Now I don’t know if that flavor is always in Titan IPA, or if it was there because I waited a whole year to drink it, but it was actually quite pleasant and made for an almost barrel like quality in the brew.

All in all a good experience and a nice IPA.  I guess that the name implies some sort of dominance, and while I would say this was a good IPA it is far from the best Ive had, I can think of several off the top of my head that I like better, including Pliny the Elder.  But this is available and Pliny is not, so I guess that means the Great Divide brew wins.  Anyway find some and give it a try.  If you are a hop head, you’ll like it a lot, if not, its pretty good too.

-Don

Advertisements

Tags: ,

Categories: Beer, review

Join the Madness

Like beer? Like whiskey? Like goofing off? Follow Us!

4 Comments on “Great Divide Titan IPA: Remember the Titans”

  1. David
    October 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm #

    Good beer, awesome brewery. We also went to the brewery during GABF and these people were so nice and accomodating.

    I’m a hop head, there is just no doubt about it. The problem being is that the market is saturated with them, and 80% of them are average at best. But, the other 20% keeps me interested enough.

    But a year old IPA? No way. That WOULD be boring.

    • Don
      October 12, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

      Funny thing was this really had a punch to it like a regular IPA. It actually aged well. Still had plenty of IPA goodness. 🙂 I agree that 80% of them are average. This one was better than that, but the whole genre of beer is getting overplayed and it is beginning to affect people’s opinion and perception of what a good IPA is.

  2. MikeLovesBeer
    October 12, 2010 at 5:14 pm #

    I personally don’t mind some IPAs with some age on them. Sure they aren’t as bold but I had a 2 year old bottle of Maharaja and thought it was still a damn good beer.

    Now this beer is really awesome fresh so I would say to you to get a new bottle and have it right away just to see.

    • Don
      October 12, 2010 at 6:44 pm #

      I agree Mike. I need to get a fresh one and drink it. Probably will do that tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: