The World Cup (of Beer)

So apparently this whole soccer/futbol thing is a big deal, but I just can’t get into it. While I appreciate all the enthusiasm and national pride, the sport of soccer still bores me.  I know, I’m the Unenlightened American and I’m missing out, but I’d rather watch reruns of Love Boat.

Still, seeing all of those flags and national rivalries got me to thinking about who’s the best. Not in soccer, but in beer.  Which country brews the best beers in the world?

My vote goes to the old US of A.  And not out of national pride, but out of respect for the amazingly creative beers our crafty craft brewers are making.  Without the constraints of a national brewing tradition, American brewers are free to experiment and create, a lot like another important American cultural achievement, jazz.

But that’s my opinion, and I only get one vote.  Please hit up the poll below and vote for the country you think brews the best beer.  And if you know anyone who lives outside the US, please send this on to them – an international perspective will make the results that much more interesting.

Tags: , ,

Categories: Beer, Lifestyle, Poll

14 Comments on “The World Cup (of Beer)”

1. Rob Crozier
    June 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

I think the US is, hands down, the best in the world when it comes to beer. We have taken what the rest of the world has to offer and turned it up a notch and created a brewing culture that is very diverse. Granted, there are certain styles that the US will never be able to match but there are some damn good brewers trying. I’m sure there are some beer geeks in other countries saying we are ruining the beer industry by bastardizing the IPA and making it a DIPA or aging beer in bourbon barrels – I say more for us!

• June 15, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

If I could only drink beer from one country, it’d be the US. While other countries have their traditional styles and do them wonderfully, America is robust and creative. I’d get tired of Belgian beers (heck I AM tired of Belgian beers) but there’s so much diversity and experimentation in the US that there’s always something new and delicious to try.

• Evan
      June 15, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

I’m in the camp that thinks “India pale Ale” should be reserved for the British version, and a new name, or “Imperial Pale Ale” should be for the American version. They’re very different beers, and the US version has nothing to do with India.

• June 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm #

I agree, Evan. I know OB’s Gubna is labeled an Imperial Pale Ale and I think it’s the way to go. I also like American Strong Pale Ale, because it’s manly. But no one’s gonna get excited about drinking an ASPA.

2. June 15, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

I just can’t get into it either. I never have been, nor will I ever be a sports guy…
    Good point Evan, btw.

This is tough, because I’ve never tried the beers in their native fresh state prior to the journey over. That being said, I really never tire of Belgian beers, but I also have had some amazing US re-creations.

• June 15, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

I’m an NFL guy and that’s about it. I don’t have the patience for soccer, baseball or any other sports.

• Rob Crozier
        June 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

I’ll keep quiet as I am a soccer nut and dig the World Cup!

June 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

Don’t be quiet Rob, take us to task! We are the mouth breathing American knuckle draggers tell us how wrong and uncouth we are. We can take it, hell our wives tell us that daily!

June 15, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

I thought you liked NBA? Now that is a fast paced game. The 24 second shot clock is nuts! Just watched about 20 minutes of the Brazil/North Korea Game. I was fortunate in the 45 minutes I was sitting there (I was in the restaurant through half time) I saw a goal. I’m sure it will be the only one. Wat to knock it out of the park Brazil! :-/

3. Kim Jung Ill
    June 16, 2010 at 1:22 am #

North Korea make best beer yankee gangsters. Great leader say so.

• June 16, 2010 at 6:07 am #

All hail the Enlightened Leader and his stylish glasses (please don’t nuke us!).

• June 16, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

I just saw that you actually wrote in a vote for North Korea, oh Enlightened Leader. That’s putting your money where your funny little glasses are!

4. June 16, 2010 at 5:46 am #

Hi chaps and good morning from the good old US-of-EU from where I shall try to add a little tongue in cheek controversy for you to ponder as you (probably currently) sleep.

As I live right alongside the beer capital ofthe world which is Munich I guess you may expect me to claim Munich beers as the best?
    No, I don’t mean German beers, I mean those made in Freistaat Bayern which are far superior to our ‘neighbourly’ German offerings and yes, they are good, made even better by the infamous purity laws regulating their ingredients to only four; Water, yeast, hops & barley with not a single (or double or triple) ‘E’ number in sight.
    As I said they are good, very good, but alas I didn’t vote for them.

What did I vote for? I hear you asking.

Well, forget all the mass-produced dross that is exported and which also fills 90% of supermarket shelves, look long and hard, visit small, independent out of the way or off the beaten track countryside village pubs and you may be lucky enough to sample some of the best and most varied ales in the world.
    Ales which have unique tastes and flavours.
    Ales which, when served correctly have a delightfully creamy body (in texture).
    Ales which have a perfect, not too big head (or what some folk incorrectly call ‘foam’).
    Ales which are enjoyed all the more during the summer months, sitting in the garden areas of the local village establishments whilst watching an equally unique phenomena called Morris dancing and no, this has nothing to do with a now extinct auto marque!

So finally, with tongue firmly in cheek, I say “Repent all ye sinners and heathens, go forth to the land of fine ales, look hard and savour the experience that is traditional English beer!”

Or better still, as an afterthought; stay at home and leave the real quality stuff for us Brits!

My kindest regards,
    Keith
    WhiskyEmporium

Oh, if you should require even more controversy but on the subject of whisky, as opposed to whiskEy then you know where to come.
    Slàinte Mhath

• June 16, 2010 at 6:06 am #

Good point about having to be in a country to truly experience their beer scene. Kieth. It’s the same in America – our best stuff stays local as well. In most cases the great breweries are regional at best and it can be hard to find good beers from just a couple of states away. Of course you can find fizzy yellow mass produced swill everywhere.