You Gotta Be Kidding! Round Two…

I got this Message from my buddy Rick over at Brewforia Beer Market last night:

“An unfortunate update on this issue. UPS and FedEx are both now refusing our shipments claiming that we are in violation of our contract because we were shipping beer to consumers. We are contiuning to fight this policy so we can resume shipping. We are seeking the advice of legal counsel currently and have a plan of attack but we need your support. If this is a cause you believe in write or call UPS and FedEx and tell them to change the policy but more importantly call your elected representatives and tell them to support beer equality and the craft beer industry by making it possible for residents in your state to buy the beer they want and have it shipped to their homes.

Thanks for all your support from all of us here at Brewforia.com
Rick”

I cannot believe the stupidity of these two shipping companies.  If it wasn’t so unfortunate it would be comical.  Here is a guy trying to run a business and it is the stupid shipping companies that are screwing up things, not because they have some kind of philosophical disagreement about shipping alcohol to the end consumer, because they do that with Wine all the time, but because they have some sort of twisted corporate policy that treats beer differently than wine.

So here we go again..the only way to fix this is to add pressure to the situation.  As Beer drinkers, we should demand that UPS and FedEx ship our beverages just like they do Wine and Spirits.  So to pressure them you will need to contact them.  You can reach UPS at (404) 828-4900, or by e-mail at customerrelations@ups.com.  You can also join like-minded folks and bitch about this on the Facebook page we’ve set up.

Or you can step it up a notch like Rick suggests and contact your elected representatives and say you are demanding “Beer Equality” and explain that you would like them to ship beer for everyone, just like they do wine.  Thanks for your help.

Categories: Beer, Brotherhood, Lifestyle, Official Business

12 Comments on “You Gotta Be Kidding! Round Two…”

1. April 8, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

Retarded.
    I think I mentioned before they won’t allow me to ship any brew even to my buddies here in OH. So I have to do it on the sly. When asked what I was shipping for the blogger brewoff I said maple syrup (I’d brewed a maple porter). one of the guys, I think aaron from captainschair said he tells ups he’s shipping yeast samples.

Today, yes today, Fedex ticked me off. I ordered a beer tap tower for my kegerator. It cost me 90 bucks. they delivered it while I was at work. they didn’t knock, just left it on the front doorstep. I live in a neighborhood where anything, even a turd, will get stolen off your front step if left unattended. Thankfully my wife noticed the truck and grabbed the box.

April 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Well lock up your turds man! When they asked me about what I shipped to Jim I told them bar ware. Its goin’ in his bar. The stupid thing here is there was never any question what he was doing. He told them, they gave him a contract and now they are renegging yet again. someone should slap them.

• April 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

Hey Nate, maybe I’ll mix Aaron’s yeast idea with your vivid display of veracious larceny and tell the UPS folks I’m shipping stool samples if they ask next time. If they challenge me, saying that’s a lot of stool (like 144 fluid ounces worth), I’ll just raise my voice and say “I go to the bathroom a lot, is there a problem with that?!” That should make everyone comfortable…

• April 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm #

Hillarious. I am laughing. I hope all the while you are telling them this you are millimeters away from their face like the “close talker” from Seinfeld.

2. April 8, 2010 at 5:18 pm #

I just sent my email to them.

3. April 8, 2010 at 7:41 pm #

Messed up. Maybe other shippers are more reasonable? Are there any left? DHL? I too have had turds stolen from my front steps. The package clearly ‘required’ an adult signature, but it was just left there for anyone who wanted a free turd.

Which gets me thinking.

Maybe they are afraid of minors getting beer and whatnot because they KNOW that drivers do not get signatures and just leave stuff (like the turds) for all to see. Its just like the warehouse stores like Costco checking receipts right after you waited on line and bought all your stuff. They do that because THEIR employees steal, but you assumed to have stolen something and that’s why I think those places suck too.

So, maybe the shippers know that their drivers don’t always get signatures so its just easier to not ship the stuff.

When is beer going to be compressible enough to email?

4. @BeerPoet
    April 9, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

So wrong. Unfortunately there are no other shipping options of merit. DHL only ships internationally now. They don’t do much domestic shipping anymore. I guess I could understand the driver/signature arguement, accept that they allow/do it just fine for wine. This basically comes down to a wine/beer parity issue and a policy that both shipping companies aren’t/don’t/can’t enforce fairly and equally. We all know of online wine/beer retailers who ship beer. Rick just ordered a bunch of beer online last week from other online retailers. Many of us have done the same … and continue to do so. Those retailers are in violation of policy, too. Yet they’re still shipping. Hmmm.

Interesting factoid according to Rick: Idaho state defines wine as a fermented beverage with an ABV over 8%. Under that definition, a good portion of Rick’s inventory can be called wine and legally shipped from this state. There’s all kinds of holes that can be punched in their policy regarding beer shipping. Question is, should people start punching?

• @BeerPoet
      April 9, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

Clarification in my last paragraph: “Under that definition a good portion of Rick’s inventory could be called wine and shipped in accordance with UPS/FedEx policy from this state.”

5. April 9, 2010 at 6:59 pm #

Apropos to what Nate said, the stuff I got from Brewdog was marked as yeast samples, so they are getting around it that way.

6. Katie Pizzuto
    April 13, 2010 at 2:18 pm #

I thought you guys would all like to know what else UPS has been up to, because apparently being a shipping mammoth isn’t enough to keep them busy. I just received what you might lovingly refer to as a sort of “cease and desist” letter, asking not only that I remove the UPS logo from the graphic I designed (which is fine because I realize it’s unauthorized use) but they also are insisting that I remove the word “UPS” from the following statement on my blog post: “Fact #2: Both FedEx and UPS violate their own rules regularly by shipping beer direct to consumers anyway.” Why? Because they believe it to be inaccurate and disparaging! While it sure as shit is disparaging, it’s completely accurate, factual and honest (I should know, I’ve received beer packages via UPS) and I refuse to alter the statement. I’ve let them know so, and wait with bated breath to see what their team of gurus comes back with. Cheers!

• April 13, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

Hang in there Katie, and keep us posted. We love it when stoopid companies try to get heavy handed with bloggers. Don’t they know it never works out and they wind up doing more harm? I guess not…

1. UPS Shipping Policy Garbage | Thank Heaven for Beer - April 10, 2010

[…] friends at Beer & Whiskey Bros have inspired me to apprise our readers of the inconsistencies in policy that companies like UPS […]