Whatcha Drinkin’ This Weekend: Other Peoples Beer Edition

So another weekend is upon us and I say it’s about damn time.  My weekend will include a very special homebrew beer tasting.

The homebrew I’ll be enjoying won’t be my own (that’s still a few weeks away), rather it’s several IPA’s brewed by some lovely people I ran into while sledding with my kids.  Strange but true.

It was about a week before I was set to try my hand at home brewing for the first time, and I was excited about it.  As we stood at the top of the hill and watched our kids careen carelessly to the bottom, I couldn’t help but talk about how I was going to brew.  Two of the moms perked up and said, “we brew, too!” Small world, huh?

Turns out they and their husbands got bit bad by the brewing bug and have plans to open a brewery.  As they prepare for that, they are perfecting their recipes and I happily get to be a guinea pig.  Best part is that both families have kids that go to school with my daughter, so it’ll be a family affair and I think everyone will have a great time.  It’s pretty cool the folks you meet when you start talking about beer and brewing.

Beyond that, I seem to have an unquenchable thirst for Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball, a wonderful beer with an unfortunate name.  I’ll be enjoying a couple of those along with some other Lagunitas stuff I picked up, like Hop Stoopid.  I’m excited to taste more of their lineup.

Finally, I’ll be taking some hydrometer readings on the two homebrews I have bubbling in the tub.  For some reason I can’t seem to figure which end is up with that damn thing.  I know the beers are happily fermenting, but it’s not reflected on that infernal bobber.  I hope to have it all sorted out by Sunday.

How about you?  Is anyone brewing this weekend?  Exploring new beers?  Going to some cool events?  I know a bunch of NYC blogger types will be invading the Captain Lawrence Brewery this weekend for some good old fashioned fun.  What are your plans?  Please let us know below!!

Tags:

Categories: Beer, Lifestyle, Whiskey

21 Comments on “Whatcha Drinkin’ This Weekend: Other Peoples Beer Edition”

March 26, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

Well this is a unique circumstance, because I actually get a weekend this week. So I think I will be drinking some beer and some whiskey. Beer wise, I’m not too sure, I picked up some more Monks blood yesterday and that will definitely be on the menu. I also think I would like to have that Ayringer goat stuff I think it is a double bock. Also am going to make my way through a couple more brews my bro sent me, mayber the Weyerbacker Insanity or perhaps River Horse Oatmeal stouty thingy I got. Whiskey wise, I’m thinking all about Old Weller Antique lately. Been thinking about it a lot but haven’t had any lately. Need to change that this week!

2. March 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

One more week to go. So this weekend, instead of drinking I’ll be putting the final touches on my kegerator…so that I can drink for weekends to come!

• March 26, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

I can’t wait to see how it turns out, Nate. As bottling day approaches, I keep eying up my beer fridge and thinking how much easier kegging sounds than bottling. Hang in there!

• March 26, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

I plan on putting up a post. I prefer bottling…even though it’s more laborsome, I love popping open a bottle. I’m probably an exception in the homebrew community though.

• March 26, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Well my first batch is gonna need some time in the bottle to mellow out, so I’m in no rush to keg. Plus bottles are free, as long as we remember to keep ’em.

Still, a super cool kegerator sends the mind to wandering.

3. March 26, 2010 at 11:07 pm #

Did you guys ever see that thing Peter has? He’s like a beer renaissance man.

4. Marvin
    March 27, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

Craigslist, I got a 15 year old commercial kegerator (2 tap converted to 5 tap) with taps, sankes and all for 250 bucks. It needs a good cleaning but it’s a steal for one that costs 2500+ new. Man I love other peoples crap.

March 28, 2010 at 10:02 am #

Great Job Marvin! Are you opening a bar? Just kidding, it sounds like you will be able to keg your homebrews and have them on tap for you and visitors. Nice.

March 28, 2010 at 10:48 am #

You should post some pictures Marvin. Sounds cool.

• March 29, 2010 at 12:26 pm #

I was at a homebrew tasting party on Saturday and they had a six tap keg filling station in the garage. It was kinda fancy, too, not like the McGuyver kegerator I’ve been dreaming of. I’d love to go that route someday, especially if bottling homebrew is as tedious as I’ve heard it is. Kegging sounds a lot easier with less chance of infection.

5. Rob
    March 27, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

Had Flying Fish Exit 16 last night – way too hoppy and way too much of a grapefruit taste, couldn’t finish it and had to pour it down the drain. Thank goodness I had some Hairy Eyeball in the fridge.

March 28, 2010 at 10:07 am #

Wow, I’ve poured things out for a lot of reasons before Rob, but never because they were too hoppy. Must have set some sort of record or something. We can agree that Hairy Eyeball is a great brew! Can’t find it around here any more. I have a Wilco Tango Foxtrot in the fridge. Might have to give that a try.

• Rob
        March 28, 2010 at 3:46 pm #

I thought I would be upset pouring a beer down the drain but I wasn’t. I’m not a hop head at all – the most I can take is the equivalent to what’s in a pale ale. Perhaps having the Hairy Eyeball first and jumping into a completely different style killed it for me.

I am currently drinking Haandbryggeriet Dark Force – a “double extreme Imperial Wheat Stout”; very interesting to say the least. I taste no wheat whatsoever – tastes like the typical coffee stout with creamy smooth finish and a slight bitter aftertaste.

• March 29, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

Wow – we’re all on the same page here. I have a Dark Force and an Exit 16 in the garage and had a WTF last night (not a really big deal BTW, but nice, Don – I prefer Hairy Eyeball to it).

It’s funny to hear what you’ll pour down the drain. I had to pour out a Unibroue Quelque Chose last night because it was dead flat when I opened it. Stupid short corks! I tried it before I let tip, and it was tasty, too. I’ll have to try again.

March 29, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

Didn’t get to the WTF before I got sick. It is still waiting. I had the ST Cherry Saison. Very nice.

6. March 28, 2010 at 8:48 am #

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. We tried Ramstein Double Platinum Blonde last night and both really liked it.

March 28, 2010 at 10:11 am #

That is one of those local Jersey Brews. My brother lives just about a mile away from that brewery and has never had their stuff, any of it. He really needs to get out more!

• March 29, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

I live like 10 miles from the brewery. If it was a mile away, I’d walk there and stumble home enjoying a growler!

March 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

Whatever…That is a Jersey 10 miles, its like a mile for everyone else.

7. March 29, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

Isn’t that always the way? I walked past the Liberty Bell hundreds of times but didn’t go in to see it until I was 35. Go figure. Jim, you must give RDPB a try. It was just a bit sour–maybe it could aid your sour issues!

• March 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

I am actually warming to sour beers. Mostly they have to be light, crisp and sweet and I enjoy them – Jolly Pumpkin’s Oro De Calabaza is a good example. But the truly funky and in-your-face ones are still a stretch for me, and I cannot bring myself to love the Duchesse de Borgorgne , no matter how much everyone raves about it.

Still, I gotta get up to speed on Ramstein. They’re the home team for chrissakes!