Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout: I Love It When Two Good Things Come Together.

When my brother sent me this bottle of Brooklyn Brewery’s Black Chocolate Stout I was thinking, I hope I don’t have to eat my words.  You see back when we started this blog Jim’s first ever post was about a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, and he said it wasn’t that good.  Then, being the wise ass I am, and at that point knowing nothing about beer I posted too, calling Jim an Idiot, as I am want to do, and saying that mixing chocolate in beer was stupid and how could you ever think that would be good.  Here is my exact quote from that August 14 post: “Since Jim already blogged about a shitty beer I won’t post about a Whiskey tonight, but suffice it to say anything that says Chocolate and Beer in the same bottle is going to be gross.” Ahh…the words of a Noob, so cute and misguided.  OK, so I know that black and chocolate can go together well just like these big puppies on the dock, but the question remains, does the Brooklyn Brewery’s Black Chocolate Stout deliver the goods?…As you can see this brew looks the part pouring an opaque black with a big tan head.  The nose on this beer was much more mild than I was expecting.  I was hoping for a big creamy whiff of chocolate blended with huge roasted malt, but what I got was kinda whimpy, some malt a slight chocolate nose, but nothing to write home about.

The flavor was good, a solid stout that has a really big malt backbone, and you could taste all the roasted grain goodness in there, but where is the Chocolate?  I was expecting a brew that put the chocolate flavors front and center and played the other delicious flavors of a stout off of it, but instead what I got was a stout that has all the great flavors of the dark roasted grains, and the chocolate serves to mellow any bitterness that might be associated with the stout.  And again it had a nice kind of grassy quality that I’m becoming convinced well balanced stouts have where there are enough hops to make an appearance, but not so many as to overwhelm the roasted grain flavors.

So at the end of the day this is a very well balanced, smooth and well crafted brew, but it just left me wanting a little more.  And you know the first rule in business is never leave them wanting more!  You want people to feel like they got what they expected, and what I got was a good beer that was ultimately a little forgettable in the vast litany of good stouts.  I’ve heard a lot of great things about Black Ops, maybe I could get Jim to ship me one of those!

Tags: , ,

Categories: Beer, review

30 Comments on “Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout: I Love It When Two Good Things Come Together.”

1. Rob Crozier
    March 25, 2010 at 11:14 am #

I’m surprised you didn’t like this one – I find when I hear the hype of a beer and finally get to taste it, I am disappointed; I’d rather not have read about it. I happened to love this beer. Recently I had my family over for fondue and it went so well with the chocolate we served. My future sister-in-law, who drinks nothing but IPA’s, loved it. Oh well, I guess Jim has to keep shipping you beer so you can find that great one.

March 25, 2010 at 11:23 am #

Rob, I don’t want you to think I didn’t like this beer, it was good, I think I said that…?? But I had heard from a couple people how great it was and I guess my expectations were a little out of whack. But I was expecting chocolaty goodness, and what I got was smooth stout. Not bad, just not great.

• March 25, 2010 at 11:47 am #

But your description does make it sound like the perfect companion for fondue – it won’t take over the chocolate flavors completely and complement them nicely. Also, I forgot to ask you what temp the beer was Don. I found it sweetened up a bit as it warmed, but it was never a chocolate bomb.

2. March 25, 2010 at 11:16 am #

I thought it was ALWAYS leave them wanting more. That way they come back.

Anyway, the chocolate stout you have in your head is Soutern Tier’s Choklat. It’ll blow your mind. And it’s even better when blended with coffee, which is their Mokah. Again, it’ll pop the top off of your cranium.

I had one of these Brooklyns as well and concur with your asessment. Nice beer, but a little forgettable. But definately better than that Dam Adams Chocolate Bock! Bleck!

March 25, 2010 at 11:33 am #

Actually you are correct Jim, but Bruce Springstein said never leave them wanting more, when it came to his live performances, so that is probably why he is so great and we are well….you know.

• March 25, 2010 at 11:48 am #

NEVER listen to what ANYBODY from Jersey has to say!!!

Wait a minute….I take that back.

3. March 25, 2010 at 11:18 am #

Don – I think Chocolate is one of my favorite flavors in beer. Youngs, Ommegang, and even the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock I enjoyed. The Founders Breakfast Stout is an Oatmeal Chocolate Stout. So good! Chocolate stouts can be a real treat even to studly men like you, but at least you’ve become more open-minded about it since you belittled poor Jim.

I’ve seen this stout locally, but have always passed on it because I’ve never heard really great things about it – your review seems to confirm that.

March 25, 2010 at 11:28 am #

Well, look at Rob’s comment, and Mike and Mike’s comments on “The Box” posting, and you will get some good opinions. I think I can’t emphasize this fact enough, Jim and I are Idiots! That said, this was good beer, just not overly chocolaty. I think that if I was to serve it with chocolate like Rob did, that could be an amazing pairing that would help boost this beer a lot.

• March 25, 2010 at 11:50 am #

Drink it warm and you’ll enjoy it, Scott. It’s a decent beer, but Don was expecting a chocogasm, and he didn’t get it.

March 25, 2010 at 12:15 pm #

I wasn’t expecting a chocogasm, but I did expect a little chocolaty goodness, and really all I got was some residual sweetness that counteracted the bitterness of the roasted malt. Again it wasn’t bad, but I wanted a little more chocolate. And yes Jim, I agree that this beer would pair nicely. I let it warm up but was still a little underwhelmed.

• March 25, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

Maybe you don’t know where your sweet spot is, Don, hence no chocogasm. TMZ says that the wife of a well known breakfast cereal ghoul has a similar problem…

March 26, 2010 at 10:40 am #

Interestingly enough yesterday through twitter I saw a craft brew named Stout Choculla. It actually looked really interesting and i’d love to find it and give it a try.

• March 26, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Killer name, that. I wonder if they make a Booberry Wheat?

• Rob Crozier
        March 25, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

Chocogasm, that’s a good one! I kept the bottles in my garage which was about 50 degrees at the time so Jim makes a valid point about the serving temperature may have something to do with the flavor, or lack thereof.

March 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

I let it warm up Rob, just didn’t get a lot of chocolate, oh well.

4. March 25, 2010 at 9:09 pm #

You guys should start a radio show. Seriously, sometimes the back-and-forth between you two crack me up!

5. March 25, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

Fellas, I think we should remember one thing. The beer doesn’t actually have an ounce of chocolate in it. It only has chocolate malts. By that standard, I think it’s chocolate enough. If they had put some chocolate in it, then that might be nice. However, I think it’s a good beer and that the name fits well. Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion, but I think the price on this vs. the quality is damn good.

• March 26, 2010 at 9:52 am #

I’ll translate this for Don: You’re an Idiot!

March 26, 2010 at 10:31 am #

Oh yeah…well you’re a Dooty Head! Jim of course not Mike. But then he knows it, because I think I’ve probably called him that about 1000 times by now. I did not know that it was all Chocolate Malt, and knowing that does make a difference in my perception, because there wasn’t an ounce of bitterness to this beer, at least none that wasn’t supposed to be there, so the roasting of the malt was done to perfection, IMO. But all things equal, the name does set up an expectation that is only marginally delivered on. Maybe they should call the beer Brooklyn “Black Kinda Chocolaty Flavored Beer that Doesn’t Really Use Any Chocolate Stout” Then I would be impressed.

• March 26, 2010 at 10:49 am #

DOODY, babe, not DOOTY….I think you’re right, though. A lot of breweries that make chocolate stouts design their labels/names with the hope that people who aren’t serious beer geeks and know that a chocolate stout generally doesn’t have any chocolate, will buy it for the idea of “chocolate”….it’s a smart marketing ploy. But unless it actually says “contains real chocolate” (like Youngs) it doesn’t 🙂 Still a really good beer in my not so humble opinion, though.

• March 26, 2010 at 10:53 am #

Ha ha! You can’t even insult me correctly, Iiiiiidioooot!!

And I’ll have to send out a Souther Tier Chocklat – it will warp your brain with chocolate delight. It’s like drinking Hershey’s Syrup, but in a very pleasurable way.

March 26, 2010 at 11:59 am #

I can insult you any way I want to, and it is a very shallow mind that cannot think up multiple ways to spell a wird.

6. March 26, 2010 at 9:16 am #

As Mike said, this is about chocolate malts….roasted quite a long time. However, Youngs, which Scott mentioned, does have actual chocolate. So I guess if you’re reallly looking to explore “chocolatiness” you could give that one a try. I happen to love Youngs, and when I make my dark chocolate stout truffles, Youngs is the one I reach for.

Oh and as the only woman here, I can honestly say that you haven’t lived until you have a chocogasm.

• March 26, 2010 at 9:54 am #

Speaking of your dark chocolate stout truffles…I can’t wait to tell Don how wonderful they are!!

March 26, 2010 at 10:37 am #

Don’t forget the Chick Beer thing that he never really made right, Katie. I think those truffles need to head West! About 3000 miles west. Anyway I think the roasting was done to perfection, and it does marginally change my perception knowing that they didn’t use any actual chocolate. But like I said above, kinda sorta chocolaty flavor wasn’t what the name implies. And I was expecting something different than I drank. And I’ll say it yet again it was good. It was good. It was good.

• March 26, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Jim will get some in exchange for a couple of good beers….chocolate doesn’t ship well, Don….but what’s your bartering offer? LOL.

• March 26, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Why you truffle-blockin,’ dude?

Hey Katie, if my first homebrew is any good (a bourbon aged porter), I’ll gladly trade a few for truffles. Of course I understand if you prefer beers brewed by people who actually know what the hell they’re doing…

• March 26, 2010 at 11:31 am #

Hell, no….the homebrew sounds yummy! My son has decided he wants to make a batch with me…an IPA. I told him I’d let him name it and help me design the label, too. Nothing like a little bonding with the boy 🙂

• March 26, 2010 at 11:42 am #

My kids are also interested in the process, especially my 4 year old daughter. She also smells everything I drink and picks out aromas. I hope I’m not making a monster…

March 26, 2010 at 11:58 am #

Interms of a bartering offer Katie, Idaho has lamb and potatos. Take your pick. I might be able to sweeten the deal with something from the Koenig Winery.