FREAKY FRIDAY! Whatcha Drinkin?

So it is Friday once again, and it has been a busy week here at Beer and Whiskey Brothers.  We’ve been traveling and setting up new adventures in home brewing.  This is the last weekend for the Olympics for the next two years, four if you only watch the winter games.  I have my youngest son’s birthday on Saturday, so this afternoon he is picking up a couple of friends and going bowling.  Then Dad (That’s me) will cook hot dogs and chicken sausages on the grill for dinner.  My wife has made a special cake that looks like a giant cupcake for desert.  Then they will be goofing around and making a mess of my house for the next 12 hours before I kick them all out to go back and mess up their own homes.

Saturday (My son’s official birthday) he has asked for grilled Hawaiian chicken and pot stickers for dinner.  He will then open all his gifts.  I think there might be another cake in there too, and there will definitely bee beer for Dad, and maybe a whiskey or rye as well…or both, depending on how the previous night went!  I have a lot of choices for my brew, but I’m thinking the Allagash White might pair well with the Hawaiian chicken and pot stickers.  I’ve been wanting to try that for some time, and this weekend will be that time!  I also have an unopened bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey that is beginning to beckon me.  So I might have to break the seal on it as well.

How about you?  Will you be watching the last of the Olympics?  I think four man bob sled still needs to be run, and of course the Americans and Canadians seem to be on a collision course in hockey, all should be in good fun.  Then of course Jerry Seinfeld’s new show will be premiering Sunday after the Olympic’s closing ceremony.  So what’s on the agenda?  Do you have any plans for the weekend?  Let us know.  Do they involve drinking?  What will you be drinking?  Will you be home brewing any special brew this weekend?  Tell us your plans, and have a great weekend.

-Don and Jim

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Beer, Whiskey

21 Comments on “FREAKY FRIDAY! Whatcha Drinkin?”

1. Rob Crozier
    February 26, 2010 at 2:43 pm #

Looking forward to the weekend after all of this snow we’ve been having…and looking forward to the hockey matches today and the finals on Sunday.

Having my family over on Saturday for some fondue; what kind of beer goes with chocolate and cheese fondue? I have no clue…but I did pick up some Troegs Hopback Amber and a nifty gift pack of Franzikaner Weiss Beer that came with a nice wheat beer glass. Whether I serve those two I have no clue. I have a bottle of Corsendonk and Brooklyn Local 2 that I’ve been saving – maybe I’ll bust them out.

February 26, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

Rob, look for a bottle of Great Divide Chocolate Yeti, Bourbon Aged Stout! That would go great with your Fondue. Not overly chocolate, but the essence would mix great with the fondue. Otherwise I might try the Three Philosophers from Omegang. That would go nicely too. I might recommend the Ommegang Chocolate beer(not sure what it is called) but I’m afraid it might be too sweet. Have a great weekend!

• February 26, 2010 at 4:01 pm #

Great call Don! I know Kevin has the non-chocolate barrel aged Yeti @ Liquor Outlet, but I’m not sure about the cocoa beast you’re suggesting. Still, anything big, rich and warming will do. Maybe even a Souther Tier Mokah or (you guessed it) an Oat.

Anyway, have fun and say hi to the wife for me. Enjoy the goodies, Rob!

• Rob Crozier
        February 26, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

Not sure the Great Divide Yeti is available here…good call on the Three Philisophers though. The Ommegang chocolate beer you’re forgetting is “Chocolate Indulgence”. I guess any chocolate style beer will fair well against the fondue. Any recommendations for pairing with the cheese?

February 26, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

I would go with either the Three Philosophers, or a nice sour, but not a real funky one. I’m thinking like a Monks Cafe Flemmish Ale. That would pair nicely with Cheese, and Ham too if you were so inclined!

• February 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

I’d go with something a bit bready with the cheese, like a Victory Prima Pils or maybe even a not-too-funky Belgian dubbel.

2. February 26, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

I’m going to roast some cocoa beans for a homebrew and sip on a Abita’s Double Bock.

February 26, 2010 at 3:47 pm #

Sounds like a nice weekend Mike. Where do you get raw cocoa beans? I wouldn’t have a clue! Are you going dark on the roast or more of a medium? I’m headed to New Orleans in April. Pretty Sure Abita’s will be on the menu!

• February 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

All I drank in New Orleans was Abita, and now I have soft spot for those guys. It takes me right back.

• February 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

I went a little dark on them. It’s not an easy thing to do but I do have some nice cocoa tastes in the beans and am going to drop them in soon. As far as the raw beans…Whole Foods. I actually bought them with a gift card that I got from them for X-mas.

3. February 26, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

I’m going to read books and blogs on how to brew beer and try not to freak myself out about my impending brew day next weekend. The (numerous) packages should start arriving Tuesday, so it looks like next Saturday’s the day. Which reminds me, I need propane for the Bayou Burner! Maybe I’ll buy a separate tank for it…(just kidding!).

Oh, I’ll drink some beer, too. I have lots of neat and slightly weird stuff in the garage that needs trying.

February 26, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

So…What are you going to brew? Does it come with all the needed ingredients too? Or do you need to pick up hops and grains?

• February 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

It’s a Bourbon Barrel Porter from extract, so I don’t think there’s any grains involved. It comes with everthing I need, including oak chips to drop into the secondary fermentation for 14 days. I think I’ll soak them in bourbon for a week or so as well, just to make sure the brew is properly boozy.

February 26, 2010 at 4:42 pm #

I think you should just add about a fifth of bourbon to the fermenter as well as the chips. Why mess around I say. Get the bourbon right in there!

4. February 26, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

My youngest daughter’s birthday is tomorrow as well. We are expecting her friends and their families over for a last minute party tonight since our plans to go out were changed due to the east coast snowstorm today. We have a vast array of beer outside on the deck chilling in the snow. I have a Duchesse I might open. We are serving Rowhouse Red, Victory St. Victorious and Harp. Sometimes staying in is better, huh?

February 27, 2010 at 10:01 am #

Too bad you don’t have a nice stout, you could do Black and Tans with the Harp Lager. Oh well, the lineup sounds good though. My Son Sam is 11 today. He had two friends over last night and at about 5 am I told them to go to bed. I just got up around 8 and he was in bed, one of his friends was asleep on the couch, and the other was up playing video games. I don’t think he slept all night! Tonight is definitely a beer night, and perhaps a Whiskey.

• February 27, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

It’s funny you said that. The dads wound up doing Harp with O’hara’s celebration stout. I didn’t have any. Our friends sampled the duchesse but didn’t seem to like it. My daughter is 8 today and they did line dances and played games. We’re having round two of celebrating this afternoon. My parents and sister are coming for dinner and we’re having her favorite dinner, spaghetti and meatballs (recipes on the LD, of course!) Next week, Round 2: my older daughter’s birthday is on Saturday!

5. February 26, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

I don’t have anything planned except some Advil and resting. This snow is making me nuts and sore!

I’ll probably have something though. I have a bottle of Allagash Black, Stone Arrogant Bastard and Long Trail Imperial Porter but I’ll decide at that time which I go with. (Maybe it will be all of them)

February 27, 2010 at 10:05 am #

Have you reviewed the Allagash Black yet? That is the direction I’d go if I were you. Remember the Stone is very hoppy. You probably want to save that until you are a couple of beer in, so it tames the hops a little! 🙂 Have a good one, I know I love snow, but if I gout as much as you all have this winter, I’m pretty sure I’d be getting sick of it by now.

• February 27, 2010 at 6:21 pm #

Thanks Don – I haven’t had the Allagash or the Stone. I’m making it a point to try hoppier beers. Yeah, the snow is starting to irk me!

February 28, 2010 at 9:58 am #

Well good luck with it which ever way you decide to go. Sounds like its been a total mess out there with the snow and power outages etc. Hope you have enough provisions, perhaps a bunch of bopplebochs to get you through the long, dark, snowy winter.