Saranac Strikes Back!

If you recall, I was really disappointed that my first installment of the Beer of the Month Club included two beers from Saranac, a brewery I really don’t care for at all.  It took a little while, but apparently the kids over at Saranac caught wind of my clearly expressed negative opinion and decided to stick up for themselves on the site here. Good on them.

As I do whenever anyone makes the case for why I’m an uninformed idiot, I’ll give them their own post so you can all agree with them.  Here’s what they said:

Jim,

We just saw your post about how you were disappointed that our brews were included in your Beer of the Month club and wanted to reach out. First of all, we’re sorry that Saranac beers haven’t been a fit with your taste. However, we’re really proud of our beers and think that they bring a lot to the table in terms of being both distinctive and drinkable. Our beers, including Saranac IPA and Black & Tan, have won multiple awards from around the world and have received accolades and much acclaim from world renowned tasters and beer enthusiasts. Having said that, we’re under no illusion that our beers may not be for everyone but that’s what’s great about craft beer…there are many great beers!

From your comments, it sounds like you’re looking for something that may be a bit bigger. We hope you’d consider trying our Saranac High Peak Series. Our Imperial IPA has 8.9% ABV, with 85 IBUs, 10 different malts and 10 different hops versus our Saranac IPA which is similar in style to beers like Harpoon and Sierra Nevada. These beers have an alcohol content of roughly 5.6% and 42-45 IBUs.

With over 30 different kinds of Saranac beers brewed each year, we’re confident that there’s something that you’ll enjoy. If you would like more information on any of our products or if you are around upstate New York and would like to pay a visit to our Brewery, we’d love to personally show you around with an in-depth tour of the Brewery and some more robust Saranac beers, on the house. Of course, our invitation is open to both our fans and and our critics. Just drop us a line at info@saranac.com

Cheers,
Nick and Fred Matt

So there you have it.  Now I have to try their bigger brews and possibly (once again)  eat my words. Another post to come once I find where to get my hands on them (I’ve never seen their big beers).  I might also stop by for a brewery tour, as long as they promise not to push me into a wort vat!

Tags: ,

Categories: Beer

15 Comments on “Saranac Strikes Back!”

1. February 25, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

That’s very cool that they emailed you. I once had a friend that found one of my homebrew disgusting (in my defense it was his FIRST EVER BEER-no lie!). I then proceeded to give him every beer I had brewed till I found one he liked. All that to say, I hope Saranac spares you having to find the big beer and sends you one. Either way, I haven’t had their Imperial IPA. I’ll keep my out for it.

2. mikemoriendi
    February 25, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

I’ve had their Imperial IPA before and thought it was a bit over board but I might have to try it again to see if my opinion changed since my tastes have changed.

3. February 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

I’m surprised they responded, but I’m glad they did. My wife used to love their beers but we kinda grew out of them and now find the every day stuff very average. Certainly not something I’d choose if I was putting together a Beer of the Month Club.

To be honest, I didn’t even know they brewed bigger stuff, so there’s a chance that they might be due an apology. But I agree Nate, it’d be a lot easier if they sent a few to the BW&B East Coast Headquarters.

4. February 25, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

Kudos to both You, Jim, and Saranac. First to Saranac for reaching out to you. I shows they do care about and are proud of there product. I personally really like black forest. Secondly to you Jim for being man enough to post this. Not everyone is will to air different opinions.

Looks like you need to make a trip to see Kevin and find some of those Imperial beers.

• February 25, 2010 at 5:58 pm #

Thanks, Peter. I’m not sure if they carry Saranac’s big stuff. Or perhaps I’m a label snob and have turned a blind eye. I’ll have to doublecheck…

5. February 25, 2010 at 8:08 pm #

FX Matt has quite an interesting history as well.

I’m not sure I’ve seen their ‘big’ beers in these parts either. I see a lot of their other stuff, but I don’t think I’ve seen any High Peak series beers.

• February 25, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

I’ve never seen them Scott. I do know I like some of the stuff the contract brew, so it’s more of a formulation thing than an expertise thing when it comes to my feelings about the regular Saranac brews. The big ones might be okay, but I may never know.

6. February 26, 2010 at 8:17 am #

That’s really cool that they got in touch with you. I’d go on the tour, it sounds fun. But yes, I’d bring water wings with me.

• February 26, 2010 at 8:23 am #

Ha ha. Water wings sound like a wise idea!

7. February 26, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

I like the lack of hostility in their response. I’ve not been so fortunate in responses I’ve received…and I was nicer than you were. How does this happen? It pays to be a jerk. All in jest, of course.

• February 26, 2010 at 4:10 pm #

Yeah, Mike, my goonish opinions tend to bring out the best in my victims. Go figure. But you’re right, they handled it perfectly and now I want to try more of their stuff. Perhaps they sense I’m a good- hearted idiot and take pity on me…

February 26, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

I think they know you are a moron, where Mike may threaten them because he is so totally awesome and can brew the shit out of anything, and smoke anyone who even tries to contradict his totally awesome brewing knowledge!!! That would be my guess…

• February 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Give that man a prize!!

8. February 27, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

Thanks, Don! That cracked me up. I don’t know what the issue was in the end. Still, I agree that Saranac really did handle it well. Maybe they ought to send you something they suggested.

1. Is it OK to Make OK Beer? « Beer & Whiskey Brothers - August 24, 2010

[…]  Now according to my brother they make all crappy beers but he is a judgmental ass, and has been called out on that before on this […]