NO NFL!!! Will you be Drinking to Drown your Sorrows, or Celebrating?

Well the 2009-2010 NFL football season has ended.  So I know many guys, in particular, will be wandering around the house on Sunday wondering what to do.  Well fortunately for us this year there are some good options to get us over the hump from the lack of massive contact sport watching.  First and foremost is the 2010 Winter Olympics.  What a great option for people who will be jonesing for a good play by play call.  I am particularly happy that this year they will be opening the games up with the downhill.  In years past it has always been one of the last events, well this year it will be first out of the gate.  That always peaks my interest.  Of course I will have to be subjected to the endless array of figure skating Couples, Singles, Guys, Gals, Dancing…Yuck!  But then there is also the Bob Sleds and ski jumping!  Fast action I love it!

For those of you not interested in the Olympics there is the Basketball All Star game, and my favorite the Slam Dunk Competition!  That is always fun and interesting.  And finally, NASCAR kicks off their season with the Daytona 500 on Sunday.  This year’s 500 has its share of intrigue too, because Danika Patrick will make her NASCAR debut.  I always like to see open wheel indy car racers try to make the adjustment to the bump and grind of NASCAR.  She is running hot so far placing 5th in time trials, but that is without 47 other cars on the track. Its a different world on race day.

So for football fans, there are some good options this week to ease your transition to the off season.  What will you all be drinking while you are doing your weekly spectating?  For me I have a couple of beers I have wanted to try.  I’ve got some Deschutes John John that I have heard good things about.  It is their latest barrel aged offering.  I also have a few other things in the bunker, like a bottle of Allagash White that I have been thinking a lot about lately and I even have another lower shelf offering whiskey that has my eye.  How about you?  What will you be watching and drinking?  Will it be beer with the Olympics?  Or perhaps Whiskey with Basketball?  Whatever you choose let us know.  One thing is for sure Beer and Whiskey can help with the transition until September when the NFL will kick off again!

-Jim and Don

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Whiskey

28 Comments on “NO NFL!!! Will you be Drinking to Drown your Sorrows, or Celebrating?”

1. February 12, 2010 at 10:57 am #

Personally I find the Olympics boring. With no work scheduled, no snow coming and no football, I think I’m going to try picking up a book this weekend if I remember how to use it! Picked up some more Ommegang Chocolate Stout so I think that will be the theme for me.

Maybe I’ll watch the Curling event when it comes on.

February 12, 2010 at 11:08 am #

Scott, I don’t understand how you can say they are boring! It is competition in its purest form! Now I agree that you might find the network coverage insufferable, I do too. If they would just show the events and cut out all that human interest crap it would be much more interesting. I’m hoping that my Direct TV might have a few different channels set up to catch different events. They have done that in the past and it works out pretty good. I can’t believe you are talking about reading something! Like you want to improve yourself or something. You should brew another batch of beer instead. Get that thing workin’ for you. Enjoy Scott. Looks like you like the Ommegang Chocolate Stout quite a bit. When will your review hit? I’ll be looking for it.

2. February 12, 2010 at 11:21 am #

I’m not sure what’s happening this weekend. I’ll take a peek at the Olympics, but I’m not sure what I’ll do with the other 71 hours and 55 minutes.

Might be going session beers this weekend. I’m in the mood for a Victory Prima Pills, which I just happen to have in the garage. Also, the Beer of the Month Club just delivered four new brews that I’ve never heard of, so I look forward to being underwhelmed.

February 12, 2010 at 11:37 am #

Make sure we all know just how underwhelmed you are!

3. February 12, 2010 at 11:27 am #

BTW, What the hell’s up with that logo? Did they secretly hire my 3 year old daughter to design it? If so, good job sweetie!! If not, olympic FAIL!

February 12, 2010 at 11:38 am #

The logo is supposed to emulate a Vancouver BC statue that is made from stacked stones.

• February 12, 2010 at 11:51 am #

Still not buying it…

4. Rob Crozier
    February 12, 2010 at 11:27 am #

I guess you guys don’t follow hockey or soccer, good stuff.

Anyhows, plans are for me to meet up with a couple of buds for some drinks tonight at a place I’ve been trying to get to for quite some time – Andy’s Corner Bar on Bogota. Here’s a link to check out what they have on tap: http://andyscornerbar.blogspot.com/

Good times!

• February 12, 2010 at 11:28 am #

I’ve heard really great things about Andy’s. I’ll have to get there at some point, which is the easy part. Getting home might be more of a challenge, 🙂

February 12, 2010 at 11:48 am #

Rob the Hockey is good. I love watching Olympic Hockey. The NHL is a snoozer though.

5. February 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

I’ll be working on Sunday. When I’m off…maybe some homebrew and finally drinking Oatgoop (Three Floyds and Mikkeller collaboration). I’ll probably read a book.

• February 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

What is this “book” thing you speak of? Does it plug into the wall? Do I have to touch it to enjoy its contents?

February 12, 2010 at 3:19 pm #

All this reading! Don’t you all know that it rots your mind…except this blog of course, and all your blogs too. But Books are so 90s man. It pains me to see such a waste of resources…

• Kevin M
      February 12, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

OOOO!!! OATGOOP!

I have a bottle of that I’m just dying to crack open… but, I’ll probably drink the Hvedegoop since I have 2 of those!

• February 12, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

The best beer in that store is under your desk, Kevin.

February 12, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

Oatgoop sounds great, from everything I’ve heard about it. That is now three more oatmeal stouts I want to try. Oatgoop, ST Oat and Founders Breakfast Stout. Someday….

• Kevin M
        February 12, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

Jim, which best beer is that? It’s a little crowded under there!

February 12, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

I can answer that Kevin…Which is the most expensive? You’ll find your answer!

• February 12, 2010 at 6:39 pm #

It’s actually everything. He trades. He collects. He knows his stuff. There’s a ton of gems under there.

• Kevin M
          February 12, 2010 at 8:28 pm #

I have to start bringing things home, Jim, so your mouth stops watering when you stop by!

Don, the Oatgoop is actually an “oat wine.” I guess it’s similar to a barleywine or a wheat wine, but with oats. One of these days, I’m going to pop the top and relish in its juicy gifts…

Did you try the John John yet? It’s the Dead Guy ale aged in Dead Guy whiskey barrels… The name comes from John the brewmaster and John the distiller. I thought it was pretty interesting, to say the least.

February 13, 2010 at 10:07 am #

I’ve heard good things about the John John. I am thinking I will crack it open tonight. I too have heard good things about it. It isn’t what people were expecting. I guess aging in the barrels completely mellows the hoppiness of the dead guy ale. Everyone I’ve talked to about it says it is very balanced and an interesting flavor. We’ll see. 🙂

6. February 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

I’m cooking and getting ready for a family birthday/Valentine’s day party tomorrow. The kids just made cupcakes, the kitchen is a mess (AGAIN!) and I see a Tetley’s English Ale in my future for tonight when I sit down to watch the Olympics.

I also can’t remember what bourbon you suggested to replace the AA 10 star a while back. I can’t get the AA10 star in my local PA run liquor stores. I’ll write it down this time, I promise. Thanks and have a great weekend, guys.

February 12, 2010 at 4:37 pm #

Get the Evan Williams Black Label. That will work nicely and it is ubiquitous enough that you should be able to find it no problem. Read your blog about the Irish potatos. I think that would send my glucose levels off the chart and I would end up blind! Otherwise it would be great.

• February 12, 2010 at 4:42 pm #

Yeah, I’d like to say it wouldn’t but you’re probably right. I had a neighbor who would say “I’m gonna take my insulin and have me one of those, Rache.” So funny. They are bite size so it’s no worse than eating a coconut Easter egg though. Thanks for the Evan Williams info.

7. February 12, 2010 at 7:19 pm #

+1000 what Jim said about the logo. I should be a logo designer.

Don, I hear ya, but I really need to unplug for a bit. Besides, I’m starting light be reading my nephew’s Golden Books which are mostly pictures and have really big print and monosyllabic words. See Spot run and such. Its a start!

I agree about the competition and stuff, but I’m not a big sports fan anyway so watching the Olympics is near torturous for me. Except for the Curling which is badazzz!

Seems you’ve been by to comment on the Ommegang Chocolate Stout that went up today. Thanks! 🙂 Its a nice beer, chocolate more on the bitter than sweet side.

February 13, 2010 at 10:03 am #

Scott, Normally I would say “unplug and Die” or something catchy like that, but I’m trying to be more sensitive to the needs of others, so I would say instead to try Bears on Wheels. It was the first book I ever read all by myself. And quite a catchy story at that. I watched about 20 seconds of the opening ceremonies. Some guy with sticks on his head walking in the snow. I didn’t get it. So olympic sports are dangerous! a luger died during practice yesterday! And since I’m trying to be more sensitive I will refrain from making any comments about you getting in touch with your feminine side going all gaga about the chocolate beer. You go boy, drink your chocolate beer! 😉

• February 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

Bears on Wheels eh? I’ll look for it but it better have pictures (and not ones like the Olympics logo!) I too turned on the olympics at he exact moment that the 4 torch bearers were standing (mostly) uncomfortably because one of the 4 torch things malfunctioned. I turned it off and stared at the ceiling. It was actually more fun.

Hey! Those Chocolate Stouts are tuff beers. Besides, I’m not the one drinking liquid oatmeal and blueberries. Next you’ll be drinking buttercup beer or something. 😉

February 14, 2010 at 10:30 am #

I did watch the olympics last night and they were good. They actually showed the events and didn’t just talk about crap. I watched Speed skating short track, luge, and moguls. All very good and the US won the womens moguls. Pretty cool. Enjoy your chocolate beer with your wife tonight Scott. Tell her “here honey, this beer is so manly I think you would like it too…” Just Kidding. Have a great Valentines day everyone.