Countdown to the Pro Bowl. Whatcha Drinkin’?

Well its Friday yet again, and it is the weekend of the big experiment in the NFL.  As I’m sure many of you know the Pro Bowl used to be played in Hawaii a week or two (I can’t remember) after the Superbowl.  It was a get away for the players, a chance for them to cut loose and have a little fun and celebrate their accomplishments over the season, culminating in a friendly little game of football between the leagues best players.

This year however they moved it in time and space.  This year it is played the weekend between the league championship games and the Superbowl.  It has also moved from Hawaii to the city that is hosting this year’s Superbowl, Miami.  So this means that those players that were elected to the Pro Bowl from both the Colts and Saints will not be there, and there are more alternates playing this year because of that and the fact that many players that were involved in the playoffs won’t be healed up enough to play.  So lots of changes.  We’ll see.  I for one can remember watching exactly one Pro Bowl, about 30 years ago.  I’m pretty sure that won’t change this year either.

However, I always have drinking ideas for my weekend.  I want to try a new bottle of Van Winkles Family Reserve Rye that I picked up last week.  It is aged 13 years in oak and if I know the Van Winkles it will be superior rye.  I also have a few porters I want to make my way through and some other interesting stuff I’ve picked up recently, so it might be a little of a mixed bag for me.  What about you?  Will you watch the game?  Will you stop off for a beer on the way home tonight?  Perhaps some cask conditioned ale, or a special offering from your local pub?  Let us know.  We’re interested, so share with us.  Have a great one.

-Jim and Don

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Whiskey

18 Comments on “Countdown to the Pro Bowl. Whatcha Drinkin’?”

1. Rob Crozier
    January 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

Glad you guys keep me in the loop – I had no idea that the Pro Bowl was changed to this weekend…not that I am going to watch it. Anyhow, my weekend started early, last night as a matter of fact, with one of the the now infamous (at least on this blog anyways) Flying Dog Gonzo Porter. It was above average – not the best I’ve had but definitely not the worst. I also have my sights this weekend on picking up Troegs Nugget Nectar; keeping my fingers crossed that my local store has received their shipment. I have a bunch of other stuff that’s been piling up – I’ve cut back on my beer consumption as I’ve been losing weight for health reasons – that I could easily dip into.

• January 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

I too will be looking for the Nugget Nectar, Rob. It stinks having to cut back on beer consumption for weight management, but beer isn’t great for the physique, that’s for sure. Oh well, drink the good stuff slowly, right?

January 29, 2010 at 3:19 pm #

Rob, to me the pro bowl is like watching paint dry. There is nothing interesting about it. At least in the NBA you have the dunk competition, and in baseball you have the home run derby. Those are at least interesting. I’d love to try the Nugget Nectar, but we really don’t get much troegs out west. If I see it I’ll get it, but I doubt I’ll see it.

2. January 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm #

I’ll be stopping off this evening to do a podcast with Peter from http://www.simplybeer.com . Tonight’s subject is session beers, which should be interesting. We’re each bringing two beers with an ABV of under 5.5% – for me it’s Troeg’s Pale Ale and Don suggested Anchor Steam, so I’ll be throwing that into the ring as well. I would have gone for a Victory Prima Pils (my favorite sessionable), but Peter beat me to the punch. That’s fine, as we’re all sharing 🙂

For the rest of the weekend, whatever comes will come. I’m a little overstocked in the beer department, so I’ll just go shopping in the garage. I had a wonderful Dragon’s Milk last weekend, so I might pick up another to share with friends who are coming over on Saturday. They always bring good beer, too, so it looks like i’ll need to clear some more space in the garage!

As for the Pro Bowl, I already forgot about it.

January 29, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

I’m drinking out of my garage this weekend too Jim. I have spent $800 in car repairs this pay period, so all non-essential purchases are on hold!

3. nostawetan
    January 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

Working. But I think I’d drink Victory (if you get my drift). Honestly, I don’t like the new pro bowl set-up. Some of the best players in the game today won’t play because of the Super Bowl the next week.

• January 29, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

yeah, the Pro Bowl move is silly, Fake Nate (AKA Mike). I think it’s more about avoiding the Olympics than anything else. And Dan Patrick had a good take on the move, saying it’s dumb, but at least people are talking about it this year.

Still, the Pro Bowl is to football what O’Doul’s is to beer. No thanks on both counts.

January 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

Mike, I think Jim is on to something that they moved it for the Olympics. We’ll see if they switch back next year, and then try it again 4 years from now. I think they were more trying to make the game more relevant for the public. It is kind of funny, because the NFL smokes every other sport in the ratings, yet their pro bowl is a ratings bust. Compared to the All Star games for Baseball and Basketball they cream the pro bowl in the ratings. So I think that is what has precipitated the move. Anyway my kids have been saying they are going to watch it, so i might actually catch some of it this year.

4. January 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

I swear that I logged out. That was me, not Nate.

January 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

Just a quick question Mike. Is the Beer Scientist your alter ego?

• January 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

Just one of many. When Nate started that site, he gave me that name and it stuck. Didn’t want you to think it was a self-given moniker.

January 31, 2010 at 9:54 am #

It was just a bit confusing because I knew that the Beer Scientist’s name was Mike, but wasn’t completely sure you were one and the same. Of course what allowed me to get as far as I did was the fact that the avatars were the same. Pretty weird if someone other than you had your exact same avatar. OK, I’m a little slow, but I think I’m up to speed now. Thanks

5. January 30, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

I to agree that I think the move was just a publicity stunt and hopefully a way to pick up a few extra advertising dollars that they lost from the Superbowl. The NFL has gotten so greedy in my opinion. I’d rather not get into it.

In fact, I won’t. I won’t watch it because I don’t care. I’d rather watch some hockey and get ready for next weekends show down. But alas, we are talking beer and regardless of watching the Pro Bowl or not I will still have a beer in my hands.

I’m pretty fortunate this weekend. I’ve got two homebrews to drink instead of brews from the store. One of my homebrew friends made up a pretty stellar Imperial Stout. With the weather as cold as it is, this surely keeps me warm on the inside. I also have a Bavarian Hefe by name but a Dunkelweizen by flavor homebrew that I brewed up. Very light and crisp.

So I suppose I’ll spend the weekend drinking those babies up.

Jim – I totally think Anchor Steam could be a great session beer. In fact I have made it a session beer. Sometimes though the hoppiness, though subtle gives my ulcer a run for its money. Though, it could have been all the teenie weenies I at during that night of the holiday season. Also, I’m curious about your podcast. Where can I get that? I’ve looked on iTunes for beer related casts but didn’t find much.

Mike
    Mike’s Brew Review

January 31, 2010 at 10:08 am #

Hi Mike:

It is good to see you here. Thanks for dropping by and giving us your thoughts. I too love anchor steam as a session beer. In fact it was me who suggested it for Jim to bring. I will be interested to see when they post the audio, because i texted Jim in the middle and he said it was Boring! I wasn’t expecting that, I would have thought that it would be interesting from the standpoint that he might find some really interesting session beers. We’ll see. It sounds like you have a couple good home brews to partake in this weekend. I hope they are good.

I went to your site and it looks pretty interesting. We are not home brewers…Yet, but I think my brother Jim might pull the trigger on that this year. It is really seeming to intrigue him at the moment. I probably will too at some point, but not for a few years at least. It just seems there is way too much going on with kids and family to start yet another hobby. I suppose if I really wanted to get into it from the standpoint of a career, I would run after it a little harder, but not at this point. There are a lot of home brewers that frequent this site, so feel free to come here, and engage in conversation. It was great to hear from you and don’t be a stranger. Stop by again.

Don

• February 8, 2010 at 8:14 pm #

Cool thanks!

I am still working my way around homebrewing and it has kind of become a huge passion of mine. I’m quickly finding out that you can make pretty good beer with a minimal investment and minimal fuss, or you can go nuts and learn more than you ever thought you would want to know about all the different aspects of brewing.

I’m going at it slow for now and trying to show others how easy it would be to get started. The more people to brew with the better, more beer to trade!

Thanks for the kind words!

Mike
        Mike’s Brew Review

February 9, 2010 at 9:57 am #

Hey Mike glad to see you made it back. I’ll take your advice about home brewing. I might like doing the minimal fuss approach. We’ll see. Until then I can always just live vicariously through all the home brewers that frequent this site!

6. February 15, 2010 at 11:00 am #

I must say that all star weekend dissapointed me. The dunk contest was nothing above average.

February 15, 2010 at 11:59 am #

I agree Lio. It was kind of Ho Hum. The Dunk contest I think I saw the best on the highlight reel, and the allstar game was just rediculous. Anytime they score 141 points in regulation it really isn’t worth your time.