The Luckiest Beer in the World: Southern Tier Oat

Now, I’m not a superstitious person, but I can tell you exactly what I’ll be drinking come 3pm on Sunday – the luckiest beer in the world, Southern Tier Oat.

You see, for the past two weeks I’ve just happened to be enjoying a Southern Tier Oat (their fabulously aggressive imperial oatmeal stout) while watching my New York Jets win games they weren’t supposed to win.  Some might chalk it up to lucky breaks, shaky legged kickers, or a smashmouth attitude that always travels well in the playoffs, but I think it’s because of me.  Or, more precisely, my new playoff football ritual of enjoying an Oat while I yell at the teevee and catch slightly frightened glances from my eight year old son…

I didn't take a picture of the beer, but I did find one I really like to put here instead!!

I recommend everyone (except Colts fans – I’m looking at you, Mike!) pick one of these tasty imperial beauties up to enjoy during this Sunday’s NFL action.

And what’s not to like?  It pours inky-dark brown with a tan head that fades fast.  Let ‘er warm up a bit, and your nose will be greeted with hints of chocolate, a note of coffee and lots of oaty goodness.  The mouthfeel is heavy, and as the brew cascades across your taste buds, it leaves a delicious blend of oatmeal, chocolate, bitter coffee and a subtle sweet hint of herbal wonder.  Mmmmm.  At 9.6% ABV, I like to call it the velvet hammer, smooth and rich and packing quite a wollop.  All that and it helps my Jets win playoff games, too.

So this Sunday you’ll find me in the home office (the man cave) with my slightly chilled Oat and possibly a Dale’s Pale Ale, gritting my teeth and hoping beyond hope that my lucky brew has at least one more win left in her.

UPDATE: Never Mind!! Stupid Colts!!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Beer

16 Comments on “The Luckiest Beer in the World: Southern Tier Oat”

January 19, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

Shouldn’t you want two more wins, or do you think the man/boy matchup of Favre and Sanchez will spell disaster for your Jets in the Superbowl? You need to send me a Southern Tier Oat! I’m the one in search of the worlds best oatmeal stout!!!

• Jim
      January 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm #

I’ll send you one AFTER the Superbowl. I’m not giving a bottle of mojo to a Favre lover until it’s all over!

2. January 19, 2010 at 8:28 pm #

I actually have some of this sitting in the apartment. I think maybe you better encourage everyone to pick up two bottles. One for luck and the other for consoling themselves. I just don’t see the Jets winning against the boys in blue.

• Jim
      January 19, 2010 at 8:35 pm #

Ha ha! I think the Colts are favored for a reason, too (his name is Peyton), but the Jets weren’t supposed to win anything lately, and they’re still hanging around. It’s been a fun run.

But, yeah, I think I’ll pick up two.

January 19, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

Whne you say Boys in Blue, are you referring to the Boise State Broncos? I’m pretty sure they could beat the Jets too.

• Jim
          January 19, 2010 at 8:56 pm #

All I know is I’m watching my team this weekend, Packer-boy!

January 19, 2010 at 9:58 pm #

Having Favre play is like the packers too or two however you would like to look at it. He will always be my quarterback, so if he is a Viking, the Vikings are Packers by default. Just like the Jets were Packers too last year!

• Jim
          January 19, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

And that’s why you’re not getting any Lucky Oat, Pseudo-Packer-Viking- boy!

January 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm #

You’re still bitter from the trade I see!

3. January 20, 2010 at 12:28 am #

This post is hilarious.

TBC-Liz and TBC-Neil are Jets fans too, and they are enjoying the euphoria of this week. I don’t see it lasting although the irony of the Jets beating the Vikings/Packers/Jets (Don has me confused again) in the big game is a tantalizing thought!

I’m with Michael – maybe get 3 bottles though.

• Jim
      January 20, 2010 at 1:35 am #

I’ve given up on predictions this post-season. They haven’t meant much so far for the Jets. What a crazy (and fun) ride so far.

Besides, three bottles would wipe me out. Maybe two and some Knob Creek whiskey…

January 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

Now that is a plan! Provided you can keep your father in law out of your stash.

January 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

Only problem Scott, is that the Vikings/Packers/Jets have to beat the Saints in the Superdome. That is a tall order for any team, but we’ll see. If they do, I would like to think that they could pull off the big game regardless of who they are paired with.

4. Rob
    January 21, 2010 at 2:07 am #

Good luck with the Jets…I see Mark Sanchez is on the cover of Sports Illustrated which pretty much is the kiss of death. Well, being a Giants fan, I wish them all the best this Sunday.

I’m a big fan of Southern Tier – everything I’ve tried I liked. I must admit that I’ve never tried their Oatmeal Stout and I shouldn’t pass it up next time at the store.

• Jim
      January 21, 2010 at 2:17 am #

Oat is a tasty beer and if you like Southern Tier, you’ll enjoy it.

Kiss of death for sure, but they’ve bucked lots of predictions so far, so who knows.

1. Winning! Its In The Oats… « Beer & Whiskey Brothers Blog - January 10, 2011

[…] beer, the fantastic Oatmeal Stout from the brewers over at Southern Tier in New York State.  He actually did a post about this last year.  It seemed to help as the Jets week after week with their rookie quarterback […]