What’s Yer Pleasure This Weekend?

Farewell, holidays. I hardly remember ye. Probably was all the beer!Well, it’s the first weekend after all the holiday madness, and I have to admit, I’m a little pickled.  I took the week off between Christmas and New Years and enjoyed my lack of responsibility with quite a bit of (mostly) responsible drinking.   Lots of beer and a good deal of whiskey as well.

Now with the weekend upon us and my Jets improbably in the playoffs, I have to figure out  the beer plan.  I’m still mulling it over, but for the most part, I’ll be taking it easy.  Perhaps I’ll pick up some Dale’s Pale Ale (I’ve become addicted to those silly cans) and something I’ve been craving lately – a Southern Tier Oat, their delicious and bodacious imperial oatmeal stout.  And that should do it for me.

On the food front, I’ll be avoiding pies, peanut brittle, homemade buffalo chicken pizza, kettle cooked potato chips, and assorted chocolates; basically all the stuff that’s conspired to thicken my midsection over the past two weeks.

Looks like it’ll be football, pale ale, hummus and carrots for me.  Sounds like a plan. What about you?  Will you be taking it easy too, or will it be business as usual?  As always, please let us know below.

Have a terrific weekend, and GO JETS!

-Jim

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Whiskey

47 Comments on “What’s Yer Pleasure This Weekend?”

1. January 8, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

Jim, hosting another beer tasting Sat. in Montclair. You should come down. Check out the line up:

# Ramstein Winter Wheat Doppelbock
    # Schneider Aventinus Weizen Eisbock
    # Brewdog / Stone Bashah
    # Schlafly 2008 Barleywine
    # Dogfish Head World Wide Stout
    # Mikkeller To Via From
    # Ommegang Adoration
    # Plus a couple Surprises

January 8, 2010 at 11:52 pm #

I’d love to come (great line up of beers), but the timing conflicts with the centerpiece of my weekend: the Jets game. I was planning on buying tickets until I realized the conflict.

It’s just another way the Jets continue to make me suffer!

• January 9, 2010 at 2:25 am #

Ohhh you’ll be sorry when you find out what one of the special surprise is goign to be. Give you a hint, it is a highly sought after collaborative beer no longer available :-).

• January 9, 2010 at 12:25 am #

Peter – there’s a chance I’ll be able to make it depending if I have to go in to work tomorrow evening. Unfortunately, I won’t know until tomorrow. 😦 Enjoying the Ramstein Winter Wheat all the same though! 🙂

Pats lost Welker last week. That’s a big hit for them. I’m predicting the Cardinals to go all the way. You heard it here first!

January 9, 2010 at 4:06 am #

They will go all the way to the locker room to clean them out after the crushing defeat handed to them from the hands of the Packers! GO PACK!!

2. January 8, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

Oh and Go PATS!

January 8, 2010 at 11:53 pm #

No wonder your comments were caught by the spam filter, it’s a Jets fan! I think they’ll do well this weekend – 3 rings mean a lot in January.

3. January 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm #

Might be spending some time at a fellow Brew Clubber’s house watching the Jets too. (Its her favorite team, not mine.) But there should be some interesting people around to add to the humor of the game. The game is early which is good because I might have to work later in the evening which SUCKS!!!!

Beer-wise, I picked up some of New Jersey’s own Ramstein’s Winter Wheat. Interesting dark wheat beer that reminds me of the Schneider & Sohn Aventinus.

January 8, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

The “humor” of the game? Ouch, Scott, ouch. But sadly, it’s a pretty keen observation.

I keep forgetting about Ramstein. The brewery is close to my house, but I never get their stuff. Probably because they brew a lot with wheat, which I don’t prefer. Still, I should support the local guys, right?!

• January 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm #

YES JIM, Support your Local Brewery! They make some incredible beer. The owner, Greg Zaccardi will be at my tasting on Sat talking about his beers.

January 8, 2010 at 11:55 pm #

I recommend that all non-Jets fans attend your tasting, Peter. I was really looking forward to meeting Greg and seeing John again. Good folks and great beers is a terrific way to spend an evening.

January 8, 2010 at 5:12 pm #

Sucks when you have to give up some of your weekend for work! I, however would rather come into work than have the serious case of Bleacher Butt I will have by the end of that evening!

January 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm #

OK, well my weekend is split between Basketball on Saturday, and Football on Sunday. Saturday i have to take my youngest son to his basketball game (about 30 miles away) in Nyssa Oregon for an 11:00 am game. Then He has a Game in Vail, Oregon (about another 20 miles away) for a 2:45 pm game. Then the Highschool team plays in Payette, Idaho ( about 20 Miles from Vail) at 4:30pm. They play 3 games and will be done around 9:30 pm. Then I have to go back to Marsing, Idaho (about 50 miles from Payette) to pick my son up from the bus then home. I’ll be leaving the house around 9:30 am and getting home around Midnight. No Drinky Drinky for me!

Sunday is a different story completely! Sunday I am planting my ass in front of the TV for the Patriots/Ravens, and the Packers/Cardinals. That day will have beer and whiskey involved! I have a Goose Creek Christmas Ale that I thought was good and very drinkable that I will open, and I have a new Whiskey that I will Crack into. Another lower shelf offering that I picked up for under $10. Ezra Brooks 90 proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon that I will break the seal on. Depending I may also break into a Barley Wine too. That and a Packers Victory would be a great Sunday!

5. Jeff Schwartz
    January 8, 2010 at 5:40 pm #

Given that the Giants are currently fighting for tee times – the playoffs are a bit less interesting to me…especially given that someone has to win between Dallas and Philly…
    Heading out to a local pub for their cask conditioned ale tonight – always a good way to start the weekend. Not much planned for tomorrow and Sunday I plan to be home – watching football and slow cooking some ribs 🙂 . I have a Sam Smiths Winter Welcome already in the fridge and will probably go shopping tomorrow to pick up some new beers for Sunday.

January 8, 2010 at 5:46 pm #

I agree that it’s a shame either Dallas or Philly will win a playoff game as the Giants are sitting at home. They really shot themselves in the leg, er, foot this year.

The ribs sound delicious. Mom would approve.

• January 11, 2010 at 11:46 pm #

Hey…not nice! (although the birds don’t help themselves, do they?)

6. Jeff Schwartz
    January 8, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

Classic! The funny part is I think the ‘shooting’ started the down turn of the team…. I’d like to think that Plexico is sitting around reflecting on what he has done but my guess is probably not….
    Going to try baby backs this weekend using only a dry rib…I haven’t done these before so I’ll need a few beers around just in case…

January 8, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

Hey Jeff, good to see you here again! Its been a while. OK I promise not to call you out on Facebook anymore, if you promise to drop by without being prodded! LOL 😉 . The ribs sound great. The key is low heat, or low and slow as they say. You might want to either par boil them before the grill and rub or soak them in a marinade prior to keep the moisture in. Or you can put them in tin foil and just finish them directly on the grate. OH I’m getting hungry! You really like that cask conditioned stuff. I know you’ve mentioned it several times. I’ll have to find one somewhere and give it a try. Have a great weekend and you could always root for the Packers! Go Pack! WOOT!

7. January 8, 2010 at 6:09 pm #

Don, sounds like a busy, but fun weekend! Yeah, the work think stinks, but its like 50-50 right now. Still, I hate when things are up in the air like this so late in the week. Ah well. Its a job.

Jim, your Jets did quite well last week against the same team, so they certainly do have a chance. You never know, and that’s what makes Football so cool!

Just a note on Plax. I think he’s an idiot but I don’t think he should be in jail.

January 8, 2010 at 6:14 pm #

In Idaho, people would have had a good laugh at Plax and taken him to the hospital. In New York he get 18-24 months in the federal lock up. There really needs to be some more consistency in our nation’s gun laws. What a sham he gets put in prison for shooting himself!

8. Jeff Schwartz
    January 8, 2010 at 6:11 pm #

Hey Don -Happy New Year! Thanks for the prodding and I will pay more attention here 🙂
    See if you can find a good cask conditioned ale. Served a little warmer and not a lot of carbonation so easy to drink and really flavorful.
    I have done slow cooked ribs many times…this will be my first with just a dry rub. I read a recipe that I want to try so figure sunday is the day. If you are looking for an easy meal – I slow cooked a pork shoulder over the holidays and then made pulled pork sandwiches – really easy and tasted awesome!

January 8, 2010 at 6:39 pm #

Happy New Year back at you Jeff! The Cask Conditioned stuff sounds like it is pretty good. It doesn’t bottle well (My beer guy tells me) because it is typically lower alcohol content and it is difficult to sell because of that. Thus I have to find a place that sells it out of the cask. Unfortunately the only place I know about is in Coeur d’Alene, about 500 miles away. Thus i have to find one nearer to home. I’ll keep an eye out for one! Enjoy your’s tonight and have a great weekend! The pulled pork sounds great. I would have to do it in the oven however, because it is about 22 degrees out right now.

9. Jeff Schwartz
    January 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm #

In California – the charge would be ‘being a moron in public’

10. January 8, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

I think it’s time to take out one of my sours for this weekend.

January 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm #

Hey Dave. I have had some sours that taste like you are drinking the sweat out of a pair of fermented socks. Hopefully your sours are better than that! Some beers aren’t really sour but have a subtle sourness to their finish and that can be pleasant. Hopefully yours are like that.

January 8, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

Sours are an acquired taste, Don, like sweaty socks and single barrel whiskey.

11. January 8, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

I didn’t drink much over the holidays. I’m busting out the Boulevard Saison Brett, and picking up some HopSlam.

January 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm #

I’ve never had either of those, Nate, but they both sound like I’d enjoy ’em. So many beers, so little room in the fridge!

12. William
    January 8, 2010 at 10:07 pm #

Hey guys, Happy New Years! Me and the missus are doing it backwards, I guess. Now that the holidays are past us, we are not drinking during the week and consuming in moderation over the weekend. Will try to catch as much NFL as possible while enjoying a few New Belgium 1554’s or Firestone Walker DBA’s. If this foggy, cold NoCal weather pattern continues over the weekend, I might be compelled to partake in a wee sip of Blanton’s Single Barrel. Go Packers!

January 8, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

Hi William, Happy New Year to you as well! The Blanton’s sounds great. Looks like you will have an opportunity to get after that, as our weather in these parts is as cold as I remember in recent history. The thermometer was at 18 degrees this morning, and we are just a little north from you in the far reaches of south western Idaho. I must say I have not tried the 1554 yet. I have some 2 below and it is ok like a lot of the stuff I’ve had from New Belgium. I have a blue paddle pilsner from them that I got back in September that I will probably keep until the warmer weather. I tend to gravitate towards the heavier and warmer beers in winter like the porters and stouts. Enjoy your weekend, and Go Packers!

January 8, 2010 at 10:31 pm #

I’m doing the same type of schedule (no drinking during the week, waking up unmuddled on Sat & Sun) which is what I typically do. This was an easy week to be good and stick to it, as I was a little beered out.

Of course that won’t stop me this weekend 🙂

• William
        January 8, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

Jim – that is our SOP as well, but over the holidays I lived like a Roman Emperor… Caligula comes to mind (minus the orgies and ritual sacrifice, of course!).

January 8, 2010 at 11:24 pm #

Ha ha! I ate like a pig and drank so much that my level of alcohol tolerance greatly increased from one Saturday to the next. Back to reality.

13. Jeff Schwartz
    January 8, 2010 at 11:56 pm #

I always plan to not drink during the week – but having 4 and 3 year old girls at home usually leads to at least one before the night is over…

14. January 9, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

Not a lot. I have a cold, so I’m going to be skipping some stuff this weekend. It’s too bad. I’ve got Dupont’s Christmas beer, St. Pete’s Winter, Oat Goop (Three Floyds and Mikkeller), Aloha Plenty and a ton other stuff I want to drink. I’m gonna hope the Jets win (not that I’m worried either way) because they get to play the Colts if they do. The boys in blue are off this week, so we’ll see next Sunday.

January 9, 2010 at 9:29 pm #

Stinks about the cold, Mike, but you’re doing the right thing. Drinking good beer when you’re sick is a real waste. Better to wait until you can taste again to enjoy them.

And thanks for supporting my Jets, even if it’s so your Colts can try to tear them apart next week. I don’t think the Jets can win it all, but I’m glad to see Sanchez getting some playoff experience. Hopefully we’ll win one today. The playoffs are always more fun watching your favorite team play.

January 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

Too bad on the cold Mike. I have a little story to tell everyone on my weekend so far. Well remember that I was driving all over hell and gone to attend in total 3 basketball games. Well that happened, but at the final game my wife asked me to go get her some popcorn, so being the dutiful husband I said sure, and proceeded over to the concessions. Well in this particular gymnasium, which looks like a giant boob from the outside (one of those 70’s geodesic dome buildings), you have to go down the bleacher stairs on the visitor side, walk around the court, and then up the bleacher stairs on the home side to a platform behind the home bleachers where the concessions are located. Well I made my way over there, ordered my popcorn and a bag of peanut M&Ms which I knew she would like too, then began the walk back. Well I didn’t tell you that I had hurt my knee about a week before, and it was giving me some pain, but I didn’t think anything of it, and I figured it would eventually heal or get worse and I would have to go to the doctor. Well here is where the story gets interesting I was about 5 stairs from where my wife was sitting, and boom it felt like someone had stabbed a knife into the back of my knee. I managed to hobble up to the bleacher where she was sitting and sat down. Well she wanted to move up a couple of bleachers for the Varsity game and I said sure. That was like hell getting up two more rows of bleachers. I couldn’t even stand for the National Anthem. I ended up waiting until they cleared out and sliding down on my butt to the floor. I am now hobbling around on a cane this morning and waiting until tomorrow to call my doctor’s office and be seen. I’ll bet I need surgery to fix this damn thing! My drinking plans may need to be suspended this weekend due to the fact that I am already incapacitated from my knee. If I drink too much I can almost guarantee I will fall. Hope you are all having a great weekend. Jim your Jets pulled it out in fine fashion, and from what I have read it sounds like Sanches actually had a great game for him. I’m glad, I like him as a QB. Too bad the cowboys won. I’m thinking they may take the vikings next week too. But if the packers can get past the Cardinals today they could do pretty good against the Saints given their late season melt down. we’ll see.

January 10, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

Wow, Don. It’s too bad about your knee.

I think it’s crazy you don’t go to the emergency room. I know the only way we’d go as kids was if we were bleeding out, but normal people (like my wife) take people to the emergency room with body problems that require immediate attention (like a torn knee that gets worse the more you hobble around on it). Where does manly end and silly begin?

January 11, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

We save the ER for the kids and if there are bodily fluids escaping involuntarily from the body. It was all good, I just mostly sat around yesterday with my cane pointing at things and using it for emphasis when I spoke. mostly I just walked to the bathroom and back. It is pretty cool though it is about the size of a small grapefruit. Now before you all get too alarmed remember that my normal knee is the size of a large orange. Remember I’m the BIG brother, and the older one too. So I am just waiting around to call my doc this morning. Office doesn’t open until 8 so no use not making use of the time. I trust everyone had a great weekend. My Packers lost, but gave all us viewers the best show of the weekend. Scott congrats on your selection. We’ll see if they have enough to get past the Saints next week. It was fun watching the Pats crash and burn. Man I hate that team. Did you see Ray Lewis? That man is still a monster! Have a great day everyone.

• January 10, 2010 at 5:27 pm #

@Don, you’re hardcore. I bet out where you live the Veterinarians double as people doctors too, right? Next we here of this situation, and we’ll learn that you have one of those big cones that dogs get so they can’t pull their stitches!

In all seriousness though, rest up and get that looked @. We can’t have you not drinking beers too long now!

@Jim. Manly and silly are blood-brothers. There is no end and no beginning.

January 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm #

Yeah, the “people doctor” flies in once a month by seaplane where Don lives. Very funny, Scott!

• January 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

Yeah, I bet the people doctor just scouts for the ‘boob building’ from the air and sets up a triage thing in the parking lot.

January 10, 2010 at 5:42 pm #

You’ll find the people doc abreast of the boob…

• January 10, 2010 at 5:44 pm #

OMG. Jim, this post should be CLOSED!!!!

15. January 10, 2010 at 3:17 am #

Hey Jim – Congrats. Your Jets are still alive!

January 10, 2010 at 3:20 am #

Thanks, Scott. The playoffs will be extra-fun for at least another week. Although I don’t think next week’s game will be as fun to watch…

January 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

I don’t know Jim, the Colts are now used to loosing, and the Jets Winning. We’ll see if the stupid plans to throw away a perfect season had their desired effect.