It was a Great Decade for Craft Beer Fans

Reading newspapers is fun.

I came across this article by Patrick Orr from the Idaho Statesman (and I’m the brother who lives in New Jersey!) which looks back at what the 2000’s did for craft brewing.  Turns out it was a big decade indeed.

I won’t steal all of Mr. Orr’s thunder, but just thinking about what craft beer was in America 10 years ago compared to what’s it’s become now makes me grateful.  Seriously, as beer lovers, we owe a debt of thanks to the folks with the guts, the creativity and the hardcore beer-nerdiosity, who poured their hearts into brewing and created this rich and diverse landscape of delicious adult beverages.

So thanks, guys and gals.  I’ll continue to express my gratitude in the beer aisle, 12 to 22oz at a time.

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Beer

11 Comments on “It was a Great Decade for Craft Beer Fans”

1. January 7, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

Well said…it does take guts to leave the comfort of a regular paycheck and try to eek a living off brewing beer. We owe the pioneers a good deal!

Now for a tangent:

Reading newspapers is fun. I am sad that many companies are ditching the hard copy for digital.

• Jim
      January 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

Guts in spades, but what amazes me is the business acumen. It’s one thing to brew awesome beer, it a whole other thing to promote and distribute it. The fact that so many breweries have done it successfully is a little mind boggling. Maybe it’s an indication that the country was ready for good beer.

January 7, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

It is interesting that Patrick Orr writes for the Idaho Statesman. I hope that the spin off benefit is people start to see Idaho as a serious beer drinking place. It amazes me in talking to the guys that run the beer departments/stores in Boise just what they cannot get. Boise is seen as too small of a market for them. I laugh at that because most don’t know that Boise is actually a larger market than Spokane, WA which most of them distribute to. Rick Boyd at Brewforia in Boise has almost singlehandedly put together many of the beer events in Boise. In August the Boise Beer fest had over 30,000 visitors in 2 days! That is pretty damn impressive turn out for a city of under 200,000 people. But our trade areas in Idaho extend a long way, about 120 miles in radius so people came from Twin Falls, Idaho to Enterprise Oregon, and from Sun Valley and McCall to Bruneau and Murphy.

I too am glad that the brewers of craft beer have stepped out like they have, and taken chances. It truly has been a great thing.

• Jim
          January 7, 2010 at 5:19 pm #

You might have more people than Spokane, but I bet they drink a lot more craft beer per capita than Boise. Just a guess, but usually if there’s a market for a product, sellers will get it there.

January 7, 2010 at 5:34 pm #

I think it is mainly a misconception on many of the brewers part. They are slowly starting to figure it out, but it will take time for them to come fully around.

January 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm #

Nate:
      I too love the paper. In my house we get two. Our local weekly paper, and the regional daily. Something about newsprint on your fingers that the computer can’t compete with. But you know as a society we are loosing much of our tactile experiences. Go to a casino with some coins and see how far you get. I used to love plugging the nickel and quarter slots in Reno, but now they are all paper and digital. Hell you don’t even get to pull the handle any more and feel the clunk of the wheels engaging for their spin. That is a sensation my kids will never have. If you have never seen the movie sleeper by Woody Allen, it foretold of many of these losses. Perhaps the most telling was the Sex Machine. You would go in with your partner, fully clothed, shut the door, press a button, and 5 seconds later come out fully clothed and smoking a cigarette. God I hope they don’t take that away from us!

2. January 7, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

I think this decade could be even bigger. I see brewers taking an increased market share from the giants. More craft brewers will spring up. One of them will be Nate and Mike.

January 7, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

Mike I think you are right, but what might be even more interesting is how many of the craft brewers will sell out the the corporate giants. You gotta believe that they will not just sit idly by and allow craft beer makers to eat up market share. There is a beer war brewing the likes of which I don’t think we know. I hope it will be fun to watch, and hopefully produce some great brews.

• Jim
      January 7, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

I’d love to see you guys on a bottle! I also agree that the momentum is just starting. Once folks discover good beer, it’ll be impossible to go back.

3. Scott-TheBrewClub
    January 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

I too saw this article and at first it seemed odd coming from Idaho – but then it made sense that the trend is growing in all parts of the country. That’s cool. We’re even seeing something of a beer Renaissance here in New Jersey.

• Jim
      January 13, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

I’m hoping it’ll continue to grow here and around the country. I know i’m doing my part, going on about beer all the time to whoever will listen.