Giving Beer to a Wine Lover: A Good Idea?

Sometimes it’s an easy call to give the gift of beer over the holidays. For instance, my beer nerd buddy Frank knows with certainty that I’ll lay a couple of nice bottles on him, and I’m pretty sure I’ll receive the same in return.

But outside of our little world, you must be careful about giving beer, because it can be a clunker of a gift for someone with no interest in craft brews.  Kinda like the time I bought a video game for my mom when I was 12.  I was very enthusiastic about it, her not so much. Fast forward to this year, and I find myself taking a chance with gifting again.

I work for a very nice woman who is a foodie and loves wine.  I was racking my brain to come up with a gift for her, when the idea of giving beer popped into my head.  She’s not a beer fan per se, but she’s open minded, seems respectful of beer when I go on about it, and her brothers drink Otter Creek exclusively, for whatever that’s worth.  So I’ve decided to go for it and give her three carefully selected beers…

Here’s what’s in the box above:

• Allagash Victor Ale: This big corked beauty is brewed with grapes and has a super clean, white wine-like finish.  I think it’s a great bridge into the world of premium beers.
  • Duchesse de Bourgogne: This Flanders red is the ultimate chick beer (sorry if that offends) and I’ve seen it send a room full of women into “wine mode” where they sip, gossip and rave about the silky sweet and fruity flavor.
  • The Bruery’s Tradewinds Tripel: I am giving beer after all, and this is a wonderfully crafted example of how refined and slightly exotic beer can be.

So how’d I do?  Would you have given beer in this situation, and if so, what selections would you have put in the box? Have you been down this road before?  Please let us know below.

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Beer

10 Comments on “Giving Beer to a Wine Lover: A Good Idea?”

December 16, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

Jim you’re a really good beer giver. Me and my nine new east coast bottles all agree. Thanks Bro!

• Jim
      December 16, 2009 at 7:35 pm #

Giving beer to you is like preaching to the choir, Don. I’m glad you like the selection I sent. You have the DFH starter kit, with the 60, 90, and 120.

December 16, 2009 at 7:36 pm #

What is the Continuously Hopped about/Like?

2. December 16, 2009 at 7:04 pm #

I think it’s a good idea. Personally, I’d look for something aged in Zinfandel or Cab barrels. I really think these are good choices, though.

• Jim
      December 16, 2009 at 7:33 pm #

I thought about going the wine-aged route, Mike, but decided I wanted it to be all beer. I didn’t want her to be able to say “of course I liked it, it was soaked in wine!”

Maybe I’m being a purist, but I didn’t want to give her an out. I’m excited to see how my little experiment turns out…

3. December 18, 2009 at 1:16 am #

It sounds like you made a great choice. You’re right about the Duchesse. I really like that one. It reminds me of Monks Sour Flemish Ale which is at the top of my favorites list. I started as strictly a wine drinker and then I tried a Grimbergen Triple.

• Jim
      December 18, 2009 at 1:23 am #

I hope she limes the Duchesse-it’s the ringer of the bunch.

4. December 21, 2009 at 3:52 pm #

Not bad. I surely wouldn’t turn it down. The Dogfish head 120 is very wine like as well. My wife, who doesn’t like beer, loves the 120.

• Jim
      December 21, 2009 at 3:56 pm #

The 120 is a good pick, Peter. I also had purchased a Trappist Rochfort 8, but it didn’t fit in the gift box. Oh well, i guess I’ll have to find something else to do with it…

December 21, 2009 at 5:32 pm #

Like send it to your brother in Idaho?…