Brawlin’ with the Big Boys

I recently had the pleasure of joining Peter from the blog Simply Beer for one of his Beer Brawl podcasts. A Beer Brawl is really just an excuse to drink some great beers and learn about what makes them special (or not so special, as the case may be).

For this Beer Brawl, we sampled nine Belgian quads – the big boys – from around the world. You can find the selections we tried and results here.

You can also lend us your ears for a bit and enjoy the witty banter, informed comments, encyclopedic beer knowledge (and everything I had to say, too) by downloading the full podcast. It’s free, just like all the beers I tasted that evening. Score!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Uncategorized

8 Comments on “Brawlin’ with the Big Boys”

1. December 1, 2009 at 4:01 pm #

When I get some time I’ll have to listen to this. Sounds like a blast! I’m curious to see how your speech degrades over the course of the tasting. 🙂

• Jim
      December 2, 2009 at 4:16 pm #

We actually did pretty well, especially with nine beers with high ABVs. It was easier to pour out a few of them than the others.

I finished every drop of the 2007 Pannepot that John from Hunterdon Distributing brought. It was amazing.

2. December 1, 2009 at 6:24 pm #

Jim it was a pleasure having you join us. I was inspired by Nate @ http://thankheavenforbeer.com/ with his piece on sharing /getting involved with other bloggers.

Scott, I’ll be calling on you soon enough. We’ll put your beer iq to the test! 🙂

• December 2, 2009 at 5:34 am #

Ha! I need to bring my Beer for Dummies book. (Maybe there’s a Cliffsnotes version!)

• Jim
        December 2, 2009 at 4:18 pm #

I was actually surprised how much I knew about beer when we got rolling, Scott. Then I listened to the podcast which changed my mind back – I’m an idiot! 🙂

3. December 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm #

Cool stuff, guys. Didn’t you have Westy 12?
    @Jim. The idiot is someone who refuses to learn. You certainly don’t fit that bill. Some are idiots because they think they know more than they do and show it. You don’t fit that either. You are on your way to becoming a serious beer geek and I’m excited to see that you are growing into one.

• Jim
      December 2, 2009 at 5:50 pm #

Thanks, Mike. There’s nothing my wife finds sexier than a serious beer geek! Actually, she’s become a beer snob, which is just a step or two away from full on geek.

4. December 2, 2009 at 5:43 pm #

yeah we had a westy12 – 2006. It really didn’t stand up well against the 07 pannepot, but was much better then most.

Mike, we have a seat open for you if you get out to teh east coast at all. 🙂