What’s On Tap for Your Weekend?

tunnel
It’s been a rough one for me, but I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve been sick as a dog (or perhaps a pig) all week and work has been crazier than usual to boot. But the weekend is here and I’m starting to feel like myself again.

I’m looking forward to canceling out my antibiotics with a beer or two this weekend. I just hit the beer store and loaded up with a selection of Christmas brews, some Founders Harvest Ale (Dave @ Drunken Polack sold me on this one) and several other interesting beers. I’m not sure where I’ll start, but I like my options, as they are plentiful. Other than that I’ll be celebrating my wife’s birthday and catching the Jets game on TV. Pretty exciting weekend, I know. But after the week I’ve had, it’s just what I need.

How about you? Are you planning anything special this weekend?   Are you getting into the spirits of the season, or is it still too soon? Are you hitting your favorite brewpub? Will it be wine? Will you slam a dram? Get frisky with the whiskey? Keep it local and drink your own homebrew? As always, please let us know below!

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Whiskey

25 Comments on “What’s On Tap for Your Weekend?”

1. November 13, 2009 at 1:54 pm #

I’ve been sick too…I remind myself of those guys from the miller lite commercials (“I can’t taste my beer!”)

I’m drinking the SWUS brews: 90 minute Ipa, and Burton Baton:
    Also, gonna try and get some sour beers.
    I’m gonna brew up a batch of beer on Saturday, and bottle a batch on Sunday.
    At some point, I intend on taking a bath in beer too.

• November 13, 2009 at 1:59 pm #

Nate, sounds like my weekend , Brewing a sour saison on Sat. Drink some good beers, well I do that every night. oh except I get to go t0 the Life & Limb release party on Sunday and I have an interview scheduled with Sam Calagione! (GLOAT!)

• November 13, 2009 at 2:07 pm #

Gloat away! I am stoked for you! That is an awesome opportunity. He’s one of the top guys in the industry I’d like to meet. I think someone should start making brewer cards (you know, like baseball cards).

The Saison sounds rad…my brew is sour too (just a little).

• Jim
        November 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm #

I agree, gloat your heart out, Peter! I’d love to interview Sam, but would probably wind up asking questions like “what’s your favorite beer?” and “isn’t beer awesome?!” I’m sure you’ll do better than that!

• Jim
      November 13, 2009 at 3:04 pm #

The DFH 90 is a classic and a great beer for SWUS, Nate. Have fun brewing this weekend, and if you wind up taking a beer bath, you’re probably doing something wrong! 🙂

November 13, 2009 at 3:31 pm #

For me I have a Bourbon County Stout I will finally get to. I’ve been wanting to drink it for a while, but was so backed up on reviews from my Portland trip that I needed to get them out before I drink anything else new for review. I also have a couple of whiskeys I haven’t cracked into yet. Ancient Age 10 Star is a 90 proof lower shelf offering for only $15. Also have a nice Wathens single barrel that I might crack open as well as a Rogue Dead Guy Ale I might get into. I like having options!

3. November 13, 2009 at 3:46 pm #

Peter, that’s awesome!

Strangely, nothing has called to me as of yet. Game-time decision but there’s been a bottle of Lancaster Milk Stout in my fridge that has been eyeballing me.

4. Wendi
    November 13, 2009 at 4:16 pm #

I just enjoyed a very tasty Basque beer called Akerbeltz (Ambre) at the Bar Plazan in Ascain after hiking the Rhune mountain.
    I’m going to start collecting bottles of different Basque beers and then I’ll bring them home to Milwaukee this summer. Jim, you & Don can then taste them and see what you think. Sound like a plan brothers of mine?

November 13, 2009 at 4:40 pm #

Sounds great Wen, but you will have to ship the beers to mom and dad’s. Restrictions on liquid in bags, even if you check them! If you get an untrained TSA employee they will empty out all the beers and your luggage will arrive empty! 😦 Sounds like a nice hike. Getting cold here! 35 degrees this morning and not expected to make it out of the 40s today! Winter is on its way.

• Jim
      November 13, 2009 at 5:44 pm #

I’m sure they’ll taste terrific, Wendi, but probably not as good as they do cooling off from a hike in the Pyrenees!

5. Wendi
    November 13, 2009 at 7:28 pm #

Well, we’ll give ’em a try anyway Jim.

• Jim
      November 13, 2009 at 8:38 pm #

With Bratwurst!!

6. November 13, 2009 at 9:18 pm #

I’m brewing right now. It’s a Coconut Vanilla Porter (aka Santa’s Hawaiian Vacation). Otherwise, I’m stuck working for the next few days. I’m going to miss most of the Colts game on Sunday. Hope next week holds better prospects. Of course, brewing is awesome.

November 13, 2009 at 9:37 pm #

That sounds like and awesome brew Mike! I love Coconut, Vanilla, and Porter would be the perfect beery compliment! You need to bottle that stuff for the marketplace! Or at least send me a bottle!

• Jim
      November 13, 2009 at 10:24 pm #

Mike, I want to go with Santa – that sounds awesome!!

Sorry to hear about you missing the Colts game. Colts / Pats is a classic, but usually turns out hard to watch for Colts fans, so maybe missing it isn’t all bad. I suggest you tape and watch it if they win. And as a Jets fan, you know I’m rooting for Peyton and your Colts!

7. Rob Crozier
    November 13, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

My weekend started a bit early this week, unlike a few of you guys I’ve stayed relatively healthy. I had my tastes of some newbies for me – Founders Breakfast Oatmeal Stout and Troegs The Mad Elf. Both awesome beers. I’m slowly converting my 23 year old step-son to stop drinking the macros and come over to the micros – he tasted The Mad Elf and loved it! He’s also buying DFH and Brooklyn so I think my hard work is paying off. I still have a bottle of The Bruery’s Autumn Harvest that I haven’t cracked open!

Good Times!

November 13, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

Sounds like a great weekend plan Rob! Anything from the Bruery should be good! Way to go with the Step Son! Maybe you could write a book or something or start some sort of 12 step program to get more people to love craft beers!

• Jim
      November 13, 2009 at 10:26 pm #

Teach that boy, Rob! Sounds like he’s a good learner. I wish I was smart enough to load up on Autumn Maple when I could. Next year I’m buying a case (that and DFH Theobroma, too)!

8. mikemoriendi
    November 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm #

My fridge is full of stuff for this weekend not sure what to have though. But I am really looking forward to trying this Hoppin Frog BORIS.

November 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm #

I love Hoppy Beers! Just had a Leafer Madness a couple weeks ago! New adventures in IBUs! Great stuff though. You’ll have to stop back and let us know how you liked the Hoppin Frog.

• Jim
      November 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm #

Hoppin’ Frog beers are pretty good. I haven’t tried the Boris, but I’m sure I will.

• mikemoriendi
        November 13, 2009 at 10:19 pm #

We don’t get them down here in South Florida but the Orlando area does so I picked it up while up there. I’ve always heard good things about this one.

• Jim
        November 13, 2009 at 10:27 pm #

Hey Mike, I heard they are starting to distribute Victory beers down there. If you can find one, get your hands on a Storm King Stout – it’s a classic.

9. November 16, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

Almost grabbed some Storm King this weekend Jim, but I ended up with the Flying Fish Grand Cru Winter Reserve (or somesuch). Nice beer, like Duvel.

• Jim
      November 17, 2009 at 4:37 pm #

I had a Storm King this weekend and it hit the spot. That’s a gutsy beer. I also had a couple of Founders Harvest Ales which were amazing. What a nice, sweet IPA. My wife said it tasted like grapefruit juice, but in a good way.