Does Your Significant Other Share Your Passion?

cheersIt occurred to me this weekend how lucky I am to have a wife who loves great beer just as much as I do.  She never complains about what I spend on beer.  She never turns up her nose at something new.  She’ll finish stuff that I don’t really like.   She does tastings with me and helps to pick out the flavors that make up a brew’s taste.  I have realized that this is an important reason why my passion for beer has flourished as fully as it has.

So my good fortune got me to thinking about the rest of you.  Some of us have talked about this from time-to-time, but I thought it’d be fun for us to share in the comments.  Does your wife / husband / girlfriend / lover / parents / whoever you’re closest to share your passion for great beers or superior whiskies?  If not, who in your life does?  Or are you a lonely and isolated premium drinker, who is thankful to have Internet pals who “get it”?  Let us know below!

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Whiskey

18 Comments on “Does Your Significant Other Share Your Passion?”

1. November 9, 2009 at 4:38 pm #

I would be even more impressed with this article if that is an actual pic of you and the Mrs.

My wife loves good beer too. She is so glad to be able to enjoy one with me in the evening, not being pregnant now. We will be hosting a tasting together in a few months.

I have a lot to catch up on your site…been off the computer the past week!

• Jim
      November 9, 2009 at 5:09 pm #

That’s not the misses and I, Nate – I only wear white liederhosen!

I’m glad your wife is able to enjoy a beer with you again. It can be tough drinking in front of a pregnant woman who loves beer. For some reason it makes them upset.

Glad to see you back here. Sometimes it’s good to stay off the computer for a while. Just look at the Amish. The only blackberries they have to deal with grow on bushes!

2. November 9, 2009 at 5:40 pm #

My wife, is extremely supportive of my Beer ventures. That said she doesn’t really like beer that much but does try them when I offer. I thikn we found 3 beers she likes. DFH Midas touch, DFH 120, Lost abbey Carnevale, and maybe another one too.

3. Jim
    November 9, 2009 at 5:51 pm #

Sounds like your wife has good taste, Peter, especially for someone who doesn’t really get excited about beer. I’m surprised to see the Dogfish Head 120 on her short list – that’s one serious beer!

November 9, 2009 at 6:09 pm #

You know it is interesting the more I get into the Whiskey thing the more my wife is getting interested in it. She helps with smells and sometimes she will even take a sip and give her opinion. Before I started this web site, she never drank but one highball a year on Christmas Eve.

5. November 9, 2009 at 7:05 pm #

My boyfriend is as big a fan of craft beer as I am. We even embark on beer-related travel together. This summer we hit up the American Craft Beer Fest in Boston and then took a vacation to Denver for the Great American Beer Fest.

He helps me do beer tastings, he attends events with me and he loves discussing beer — and I never have to twist his arm to do any of these things. Now if only I could find a way to make opera just as interesting for him … are there any beer-themed operas yet?

6. November 9, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

To my wife, everything is just ‘beery’. She supports my interest in beer, but that’s about it. I guess her being neutral is better than being against it though!

• Jim
      November 9, 2009 at 9:40 pm #

Does she drink beer, or does she prefer something else? (sobriety, perhaps?)

November 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm #

Sobriety Schmobriety!

November 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm #

Makes me feel drunk just typing that!

7. November 9, 2009 at 9:29 pm #

My boyfriend very much shares my passion for craft beer. We even embark on beer-related travel. This summer we hit the American Craft Beer Fest in Boston and we also flew out to Denver for the Great American Beer Fest.

We’ve toured breweries together, he tastes beers with me and he goes to events with me as well. I don’t even have to twist his arm once. If I could only make opera as interesting for him — any beer-themed operas out there yet?

• Jim
      November 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm #

I’d watch The Brewer of Seville. Is that an opera?

My wife and I are at the point in our beer love that our travelling is just now becoming influenced by the local beer culture. It can be tough with two little kids, but teach them young I say.

I still haven’t been to the GABF, at least I don’t think I have. I’m not sure I’d remember. 🙂

8. Dan
    November 10, 2009 at 12:42 am #

I drink alone in my household. I have tried many times to have my wife at least nose a great bourbon and all she says is that it smells like alcohol. Of my 4 brothers they all will drink with me but none of them really share my passion for bourbon so I am alone there too. Luckly my good buddy shares my love of whiskies so when him and his wife come to visit I have someone to drink with. Last time he was here we did a tasting of all my Wild Turkeys.

November 10, 2009 at 4:34 am #

And they say Turkey is a flightless bird! Sounds like a great time Dan. I too do a lot of drinking alone. I’ve at least got my wife to give the bourbon a sniff, and she actually sipped the Old Fitzgerald. After her initial horrified face, she actually said it had good flavor and would make a good high ball! That is about it for her though. I have a couple buddies that drink bourbon, and we will have a guys weekend after the first of the year in Sun Valley, Idaho. I’m bringing my bunker with me and we will see how much they really like bourbon!

9. November 11, 2009 at 1:48 am #

I’m proud and happy to say that my wife does share my love of beer. Whiskey…maybe a little. She is extremely enthusiastic about craft, home, and many other types of brew. She went from not liking beer to Stout being her favorite. She would tell you that it took her about 400 beers. Not that she didn’t like it before, she just thought it was tedious to drink a whole one. Now she’s like, “Oh! We’re only drinking half each?” Awesome!

• Jim
      November 11, 2009 at 1:59 am #

I think it’s awesome she hung in there for 400 beers! I guess it shows that she really must want to support your interests. That or you’re a very persistant fella.

My wife prefers stouts, too. When we met she lived Harp. Now she’s a Storm King girl.

10. December 5, 2009 at 11:30 am #

Nice post & nice blog. I love both.

• Jim
      December 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm #

Thanks for the compliment, Paul, and welcome to BW&B. It’s probably the years I spent as a Pharmacy Tech in college coming through in the writing.