The time is drawing very near. I’ve mentioned this in the comments, but I am making it official here today. I will be doing a Single Barrel Showdown. Eight single barrel whiskeys pitted against each other in bracket style. Trouble is I haven’t completed the bracket yet.
See, I only have 7 of the 8 whiskeys necessary to fill out the bracket. So far in no particular order here are the whiskeys that will be involved.
- Henry McKenna Single Barrel–I have had this bottle for a couple months now, but I haven’t opened it yet. Looks interesting.
- Wathen’s Single Barrel–This is a very good whiskey. I have had it on several occasions and think it will be a strong contender.
- Four Roses Single Barrel–Last time I had this whiskey I loved it. I have a new bottle that I haven’t opened yet, so I’m hoping it is just as strong.
- Evan Williams Single Barrel–I think this one might be a throw away. Had it and didn’t love it, but it is in the bunker so its in.
- Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit–This is a VERY strong contender. One of Jim’s favorites, and at 101 proof a force to be reckoned with.
- Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve–This too is a new bottle I haven’t opened. I’ve heard great things, and at 120 proof it just might be the biggest whiskey in the bunch
- A Special Single Barrel–This was sent to me from my buddy Greg over at Bourbondork.com. He and several others purchased an entire barrel and then split it up amongst the buyers. I have high hopes for this because it is barrel strength, so probably around 125 proof and it was hand selected, so you know they aren’t going to pick a bad barrel!
- Last and finally, I don’t have one, and this is where you come in.
- Blanton’s Single Barrel–I know nothing about Blanton’s except they have those really cool brass tops with the horses on them.
- Eagle Rare 10 Year Single Barrel–In the interest of full disclosure, I actually have a bottle of this in the bunker, but didn’t realize it was a single barrel bourbon. I’ve heard mixed reviews on this whiskey. Some love it, others think it misses the mark.
- Elijah Craig 18 Year Single Barrel–I’ve heard nothing but good things about this whiskey, but to date I’ve never tried it. If it is as good as the 12 year small batch, it should be a strong contender.
- Finally, Jack Daniels Single Barrel–I’ve had this a time or two several years ago. From what I remember it was very good, but I really don’t remember it that much. I thought this one might be a good add because it represents Tennessee Whiskey.