Well May 21st has come and gone on all corners of the globe now, and SURPRISE! Nothing happened. Yes, someone had many people fooled into thinking that the end was near, and the Rapture would begin. Guess what, he was WRONG. Now I know you are just about as surprised as I was when May 22nd rolled around and the world was completely the same. But I began to think about scenarios that would signify that we were in the end times. Maybe if Donald Trump and Oprah had a love child, or if Snookie got a law degree.
How about in the Beer world? Well for a few perhaps Beermageddon is upon us with the AB InBev take over of Goose Island, that is an obvious one, but I really don’t think that is a sign of the end. I think that was a couple of guys that got beaten up with a giant sack of money, and they took it and ran. Can’t say as I blame them, but it does put them in the category of people that built something great and then destroyed it to make a buck. It would be like if Virginia McCaskey decided to move the Chicago Bears to Milwaukee for a great stadium deal…
So what about the Beer world? What would be a sign of Beermageddon? Here are a few I’ve come up with:
- Sam Calgione producing a collaboration brew with Miller/Coors,
- Brewery Ommegang decides to make a straight up IPA,
- Oskar Blues decides that they were wrong all along and begins to bottle their beer,
- Stone Brewing’s Greg Kochs’ Face freezes and gives him permanent Greg Face,
- New Belgium announces they are making an 18 pack of Ranger IPA cans and selling them for $9.99,
- New Glarus partners to gain access to Budweiser’s distribution network and exports to Idaho,
- 21st Amendment moves production of Monk’s Blood to Tibet,
And the number one sign that Beermageddon is upon us–
- The Beer and Whiskey Brother’s get their own TV Show!