SCORE!

I Am so excited!  I just scored a Pappy Van Winkles 15 year old bottle of Bourbon at my local (State Run) liquor store.  The Price?  $54.95!  I haven’t ever seen this particular bottle for less than about $80.  So psyched to give this a try!  I just had to share!

Tags: ,

Categories: Whiskey

19 Comments on “SCORE!”

1. jeff Nelson
    April 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

Don,
    IMHO the best of the Van Winkles is the 10yr 107 but saying that the 15 is a beauty as well!

April 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Thanks Jeff, I will look out for the 10. But I am psyched, because this stuff has always been just a little out of reach for me. No more!

2. johnking82
    April 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

wow…someone must have maybe mis-priced it. What a steal! I hope to get a bottle next weekend for my wedding.

April 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

That is what I thought too, but I happily skipped out of there before anyone noticed!

3. April 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

Nice!

Reminds me of the time I bought 4 bottles of Founder’s KBS for $2.99 each.

Go get more!

April 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

Not a bad idea. Maybe one more…

4. April 14, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

Congrats Don! We expect a full review. Pappy ROCKS!

April 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

You know what G, this is the first time I have been excited about whiskey in a long time. I think my whiskey funk has finally lifted!

• April 14, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

Awesome! And just in time for springtime and drinking by the fire. Welcome back Don! 🙂

5. April 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

I once saw a whole shelf of AJ Hirsh 16 for 59.00 a bottle and only bought two knowing they were going for 90 everywhere else and now in the 200’s. Still doesn’t explain why there is no B&WB representation at WHISKYFEST Chicago! My favorite PVW is the 12 though I did once get a bottle of 20 year barrel proof selcted by the store purchaser and it was amazing! The 15 is a damn good value as I like it as much as the 20. I do like to save the empties and… Never mind I was gonna make a Greg Hall analogy but that horse is dead or should be.

• April 14, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

I don’t know why Don’s not there, John. A TOTAL lack of focus and commitment probably.

6. April 14, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

One of my favorites. I used to live down the road from Buffalo Trace and could get it all day long for $40 a bottle. It is a beauty and has passed the magical 50% threshold for truly terrific bourbon. Don’t both with the 20 year…they cut it to 47%. I am a bit jealous, I admit. It has been far too long.

7. April 14, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

damn, what a steal! Pappy is easily one of my favorite bourbon’s on the market. I actually really dig their 13yr rye as well. Enjoy!

8. April 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Don – a fantastic bourbon, one of the best out there. It’s a good thing you found that bottle. Rumor has it the Pappy 15 year is going away and this fall will be replaced with Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year which will most likely contain Buffalo Trace juice. If you go back a number of years, there was an Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year that contained Stitzel Weller Juice. It’s been said that Pappy Van Winkle also contains SW juice so finding that bottle gives you at least one bottle of a classic American bourbon.

9. BeerBanker
    April 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Question for you bourbon cognoscenti – I typically drink Maker’s Mark because I tried it at a friend’s house and found it pretty mellow. Now, when drinking scotch, I’m an Islay man and prefer Laprhoaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin which are anything but simple and mellow. I’ll drink JW Black as a backup though when Islays are not to be found. What should I try in bourbons that would match that level of craftsmanship and deep flavor ? I’m in Atlanta, so have a fairly decent set of choices at the various stores.

Slainte…

• April 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

Jim turned me on to the Old Weller Antique which I really like. A great value and usualy less than Makers and a better bourbon in my opinion. It’s wheated as well. Blantons is another favorite of mine and the list goes on.

• April 15, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

How about a bourbon that leans a bit heavier on the Rye? Eagle Rare 17 might be right up your alley.

• Ben
        April 17, 2011 at 1:36 am #

Or maybe you should just try a rye, which tends to be a bigger, more aggressive flavor than bourbons. It isn’t entirely true to say that bourbon is to rye as highlands are to islays, but there is some truth to it. The Rittenhouse Rye is very, very good as a starter into Rye whiskeys (and usually available in the 20-23 dollar range, depending on store and taxes and so forth). Or if you wanted to go a bit more upscale the Van Winkle Rye is really good.

G-Lo is right that bourbons with more rye in the mash might be worth a shot. Bulleit is a fairly high-rye bourbon that won’t break the bank as much as the Eagle Rare 17 (though I’ve had the ER 17, and I did like it quite a bit).

10. Beerbanker
    April 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Appreciate the suggestions. I’ll ask around the local stores to see who might have either. The Rye influence does sound good. I’ve had a bottle of Knob Creek and didn’t see much difference ‘cept the price. Tried Booker’s at a bar once and think I recall it being stronger but also more flavorful. So many bourbons, so little time…thx…