Blogger to Recreate Monk Fast.

We’ve all heard the stories about the old Paulaner Monks and their fasting during Lent.  They drank water and Doppelbock Beer or “Liquid Bread” to survive the long fast over Lent.  Well, one of our own is going to try the same thing.  J. Wilson, a Blogger from mine and Jim’s old stomping grounds, Iowa is going to give it a go.  You can read about his thoughts here.

He says he got the idea a few years back and is anxious to try and recreate the fast that brought us the “liquid bread” in the first place.  He is working with a local brewery in Iowa to supply him four 12 ounce servings of beer a day.  Each serving will have 288 calories, so I am assuming he will lose weight.  He thinks so too, because his normal weight is 140 pounds, but since November he has been upping his calorie intake in anticipation of his fast.  He is currently 160 pounds.

He is also going to consult his physician during the fast and immediately after to make sure he isn’t permanently damaging himself.  Four beers a day and water and nothing else?  Do you think you could do it?  I think I’ll stick to giving up chocolate.

If you want to follow J’s fast and his impressions as it occurs you can follow him at http://www.diaryofaparttimemonk.wordpress.com/

Good Luck J.

Categories: Beer, Lifestyle

12 Comments on “Blogger to Recreate Monk Fast.”

1. Jeff Whitman
    March 8, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

I’m not sure he has his fasting facts in order. I’m no authority but I’ve always understood that during a fast one meal per day was permitted. All be it with no meat and taken after sun down. It would be the individual’s responsibility to moderate that meal so as not to negate the spirit of the fasting. The life of a monk was not easy and some nourishment was needed…beyond a good beer.

Regardless, I wish him good luck and good health.

March 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

You know Jeff, I was thinking the same thing myself. I thought it was like the Christian version of Ramadan when they were allowed to eat in moderation after sundown. Perhaps he just wants to take it to a greater extreme. Kids these days!

• johnking82
        March 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

The last time I was 140lbs I was in middle school feasting on chicken nuggets….no way he can last that long. I think something medical will happen and he will have to give it up.

March 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

We’ll see John. If you don’t think you could do it, you are probably correct.

2. March 8, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

Hmmm … Thirty days eating nothing but McD’s or FORTY drinking Beer alone???

March 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

I’d take my chances with the beer, I think. But then again I have a lot of “reserves” that my body could call upon to get through. I’m pretty sure the McDonalds route would kill me.

• March 8, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

I was thinking this would make a good episode of 30 Days. Someone call Morgan Spurlock.

March 9, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Yeah, but they would have to rename it 41 days… 😉

3. March 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

Jeez. I haven’t seen 160 in like 25 years. 200 either for that matter. Hmmmm. Nah. No way could I do that!

March 9, 2011 at 9:36 am #

I think I was 6 the last time I saw 160. From his picture he looks like he might be one of those small, high energy guys. I think 40 days especially the way he has it planned out is going to be a colossal struggle. I give him 2 weeks.

4. March 9, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

If Belgian monks survived on only beer for Lent; what did Shaolin monks do???

March 10, 2011 at 10:07 am #