Chanukah, the Festival of Lights: What Will You Celebrate With?

No better way to bring in the Festival of Lights than this classic from Adam Sandler!  For our Jewish readers, what will you be drinking as you light the Menorah?   Let us know in the comments, and enjoy this emerging classic from Mr. Sandler…Yes a Jew!

UPDATE: Jim thinks Hanukkah Harry might be more appropriate.  Pishaw I say, but you be the judge.

UPDATE 2: It’s on like Donkey Kong!  Vote to let us know which is cooler!

Tags: , ,

Categories: Beer, Lifestyle, Scotch Whisky, Whiskey

17 Comments on “Chanukah, the Festival of Lights: What Will You Celebrate With?”

1. December 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

As half-owner (or whatever) of this site, I take offense to the “comedy” of Adam Sandler being posted here. What’s next, Opera Man? **douche chills**

What wrong with Hanukkah Harry?!

December 1, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

LOVITZ?? Lovitz is better than Sandler? Are you on Crack?

2. Mark S.
    December 1, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

I feel I must weigh in on these, um, weighty matters. The “Hanukkah Song” all the way!

December 1, 2010 at 9:12 pm #

Thank you Mark! My thought exactly! 😉

3. December 1, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

Yo Bros!

It’s the holiday season. Play nice! I guess it’s gonna take a Sicilian to get you two back on topic, i.e. Beer and Whisky. To answer Don’s question, there are at least four beverages that MUST be behind the bar when planning for a Hanukkah celebration.

#1 – Ardbeg and Glenmorangie Single Malts – great whiskies that have recently been given kosher certification. http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9JR9NLG0.htm

#2 – Loch Haim Single Malt Bottling – had one of these at the SMSWA Extravaganza. Not sure of the distillery, but it was pretty tasty. The JSMWS likes it too. http://jewishsinglemaltwhiskysociety.com/?cat=474

#3 – He’Brew Beer – I believe I had the Jewbelation last winter, and I remember liking it alot. http://www.shmaltz.com/HEBREW/index.html

L’Chaim!
    G-LO

• December 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm #

The fact that these reco’s ate coming from a Sicilian isn’t lost on me. All are great, BTW.

Just like Haunukkah Harry!

December 1, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

How would you know they all are great? Other than the Jewbelation, which have you had? Seems to me I poured you a rather peaty single malt scotch last time you were out here, and you didn’t really care for it, so which would you rather have the Glenmorangie or the Ardbeg? 😉

• December 1, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

Glenmorangie is very good, but the Ardbeg is more to my liking. The 10 is a classic, and the Corryvreckan is just plain potent! Drink too much and you’re sure to go a little Meshugenah! 🙂

December 1, 2010 at 10:56 pm #

Between the two I think I’d prefer the Glenmorangie. Not one for the peat! Old college incident! I actually have an O Nogne Islay Winter brew that they aged for a year in very peaty scotch barrels, and I’m afraid to drink it! 😦

4. December 1, 2010 at 11:09 pm #

Oh come on Don! You can handle a wee bit of smoke in your whisky. Embrace the smokey goodness and don’t let a little college foolishness stand in the way of a fine dram. If I did that, I’d be a member of the Temperance Movement, since I’ve been made violently ill by many an alcoholic beverage in my youth, and on a few occasions as a middle aged guy too!

And as far as that O Nogne goes, if you’re not gonna drink it, send it on down to South Jersey. 🙂

December 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm #

Oh, I’ll drink it, but I will open it with a little fear and trepidation. Something about the smoke, it just doesn’t sit right. I think I’m like the wolves that eat the poisoned sheep meat, I can’t ever go back to the stuff. Perhaps its Pavlovian. Thankfully my college foolishness didn’t kill my taste for beer! God knows that could have happened.

• December 2, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

Fine! Don’t share! See if I care. 🙂

I’ve seen quite a few Nogne beers around. I hear good things but haven’t been willing to pay the price yet. Good stuff?

December 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

This is my first one. This particular one was $16. I know the shop I was in also had other offerings from them in the $7 range. I haven’t tried it yet, but rest assured that when I do, you will hear about it! 😉

• December 2, 2010 at 8:17 pm #

Sweet! Looking forward to the review!

5. December 1, 2010 at 11:29 pm #

We have the annual Hanukkah party this weekend and the neighborhood “holiday” party at the only Jewish house around maybe a week later. I always show up with selections from He’Brew, typically whatever anniversary brew is out accompanies me to these parties. I also like to pick up one of their odd fruity beers and maybe even a Lenny’s RIPA for good measure. These beers are a hit with the not-really-that-Jewish crowd who aren’t really beer folk either. They have no idea that these bombers only cost $5 a pop.

December 2, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

The Lenny’s is great stuff. I guess they did an double RIPA not too long ago. I’d love to give that a try. Enjoy your parties. Sounds like a lot of fun.

6. December 2, 2010 at 11:02 am #

This should get you through the whole thing:

Jewbulation for all!