I thought about this on my way in today. I saw that someone found our site by googling the question “Is drinking on the weekend bad for you?” It got me thinking that there are a lot of questions that I sometimes wonder about, and moreover wonder about how you all feel about certain things, so without any further adieu here are my 5 questions for your weekend.
- Which do you like better, Scotch Whiskey or Bourbon Whiskey? Another way to ask this might be which do you like better Scottish Whisky or American Whiskey? More and more Bourbon is being referred to as American Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey is loosing out on overall market share. What might bring it back is the trend towards microdistilling, but that is another question entirely. So which do you like better? My answer for now it Bourbon Whiskey but I am putting my big toe into the world of Scotch Whisky right now, and who knows? I might be a convert…
- What is your favorite style of beer? Does it change over the seasons? Do you look forward to the seasonal brews coming out? OK, technically that is three questions, but they are all related. As for me, my favorite style of beer (right now) is Barleywine. That was a real shocker to me when I first started thinking about it, particularly because when I first started drinking beer, I really didn’t care for the barleywine style. But more and more I really find myself craving the flavor of a good high ABV barleywine. Can’t hardly wait for Deschutes Mirror Mirror to hit the shelves again for 2010. In the summer I find myself looking forward to Saisons and Farmhouse Ales. And now that I know a lot more about beer, I truly look forward to the change in seasons and the different seasonal brews coming back into the market.
- Do you think about food pairings with your beer or whiskey often? I personally do not. I know that a lot has been made about the different pairings and how flavors complement each other, etc. But to me this adds an entire layer of complexity that I really don’t understand or appreciate. I like to keep it simple and focus on the beer. If I’m having a beer with my meal I think about what type of beer I want to drink, not what goes with the food I am having. I’m probably in the minority here, but that is just how I roll. It doesn’t mean that I can’t appreciate a good food pairing, but I don’t think about it when I go to bed or take a shower.
- Do you think drinking on the weekends is bad for you? This is the question that started it all, and I say unequivocally NO! If I gave up drinking on the weekends I would have to give up 90% of my drinking. I don’t really ever get trashed, but if I did it would be on a weekend so I wouldn’t miss work because of it. Weekends were made for drinking and enjoying and rejuvenating yourself and drinking is a part of relaxation. How can that be bad for you?
- Finally, What are you drinking this weekend? I am personally slammed at work right now, and will be working this weekend and next, and maybe the one after too. So I am very limited on what I’ll be partaking in, but I have a couple new whiskeys and a bunch of brews to get to so I will be having a little, but not too much since work is beckoning. How about you?
Now It would be asking a lot to have anyone answer all five questions in detail like I have just done, so take one or two and let us know. It will be nice to get to know you all better. Have a great weekend.