Oskar Blues Old Chub:If It Isn’t Scottish, It Crap!

If it isn’t Scottish …its Crap!  That was the old Mike Myers saying when he ran his Scottish Import Shop on Saturday Night Live.  After drinking Oskar Blues Old Chub Scottish Ale, I’m inclined to agree with him!  This was a beautiful ale that all bonified Kilt wearin’ Scotts should be proud to drink, and lucky they get the pleasure.

Oskar Blues has put this 8% ABV beauty in a Tartan plaid can.  So what is under its Kilt?  As the Scottish would say, “Pure Dead Brilliant”…

As you can see the Old Chub poured a beautiful deep brown with no light getting through with a good sized mocha head.  I thought I might be a little disappointed in the carbonation because there was almost no hiss when I popped the top on the can, but upon pouring, a nice and lively head appeared and this brew had ample carbonation.

The nose on this was pure malty goodness.  Huge malt, perfectly roasted to bring out the caramelly and chocolaty wonders that lie within.  I was also a little concerned that this might be a little heavy to drink on a warmer spring evening, but it was just right, not too heavy like a stout, but full bodied while being light enough to enjoy any time of the year.

When I took my first sip I was almost bowled over by the amount of chocolate flavor that came from the huge malt backbone of this ale.   But what initially seemed like it might be too malty for a summer treat was actually surprisingly well balanced with a nice earthy and smoky quality that came through on the back side and made this brew an absolutely wonderful experience.

Its milky mouthfeel and great balance made it the perfect dessert brew great for drinking after dinner with perhaps a dish of ice cream or a wee bit of chocolate.

I heartily recommend this brew and can think of no other Scottish ale that can even come close to it in quality or  character.  This was a great beer and I highly recommend it next time you are looking for something that can be a refreshing change of pace this summer.  I would also recommend this for anyone who says they don’t like dark beers.  If they have this one they will become a believer.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Beer, review

17 Comments on “Oskar Blues Old Chub:If It Isn’t Scottish, It Crap!”

1. June 1, 2010 at 1:32 pm #

But it’s not Scottish – It Coloradian (or whatever).

2. Rob Crozier
    June 1, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

Loved this beer as I do all others from Oskar Blues. Loved that it packed a ton of flavor but didn’t weigh you down. I’ve had this beer in my fridge consistently for over a year now – its that good!

June 2, 2010 at 11:34 am #

I agree Rob. Funny thing was it sat in my beer fridge for over 4 months before I opened it. I think it was the can design, I thought there were always better choices. I was wrong! This was an amazing brew that I will buy again and again. This and 21st Amendment Monks Blood will be my two go to brews. Now I just need to find a good golden brew to have as my go to, and I will have all the basic food groups covered!

3. Clayton Olley
    June 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

Hear hear!! I’ve been drinking this for years and always marveled at its delicious novelty! Now I’m having a ton of fun trying all their other canned beers, although Gubna isn’t one I’ll be returning to often. Gordon and Ten Fidy however, I don’t see those ever being absent from my beer fridge!

June 2, 2010 at 11:37 am #

I’m really surprised that so few people on this blog like Gubna. It is a favorite of mine. However it can’t be a go to sadly because at $4 a can, it is a little too rich for my blood. Maybe Dales will fill the bill. Jim certainly loves it. Perhaps Gubna is polarizing. Certainly the former “Gubna” of Texas was…

• Clayton Olley
        June 2, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

On a whim last night whilst mowing the lawn etc, I cracked a Gubna and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It’s still pretty… aggressive (?) on the senses but I think I might be warming up to it. Maybe it’s cuz I drank it right out of the can… gasp!!!

June 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm #

Hope you were able to dodge the raindrops last night Clayton. It rained like the sky sprung a leak out by me last night. I think the Gubna truly has a great refreshing quality to it. While it is aggressive in its flavor profile, it really satisfies at the same time. Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I’m making some headway with all my arguing. 😉

• June 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm #

I liked it much better the second time, too. Maybe it was because I was ready for the assault. I think I’ve finished my four pack, but I won’t be buying more.

4. June 1, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

Sounds like a beer I’d really enjoy, but Jim does make a valid point. Its more Scottish-like than actual Scottish, so I’m confused if its good or not. (I kid) I had to rub my eyes for a second because I thought I saw a real beer glass in the picture too!

• June 1, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

I think he picked up that pint at Burger King. I bet there’s a picture of Shrek on the other side…

June 2, 2010 at 11:38 am #

Scott, you’d love this brew. It is right up your alley. I think it comes with a complementary doiley too. Maybe I just made that up, but try the beer!

5. Evan
    June 1, 2010 at 4:25 pm #

Excellent beer! As with anything else I’ve had from Oskar Blues (except Gubna, but I think that’s due to my dislike of Summit hops)

June 2, 2010 at 11:40 am #

Again with the no love for the Gubna! I truly loved this beer. I guess that just means more for me! 🙂

6. Lorraine
    July 1, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

I just tried Oskar Blues Old Chub and LOVED it!!! I also love three philosohers (quad belgian) so you can appreciate my taste. I had never tried a scotch ale and certainly dislike bitterness. Chub was sooo smooth and sweet. Any other brews I should try with that in mind?

I did also try the Oskar Dale…not a fan simply cause it’s not my taste…a little soapy for me.
    I will be trying yellow pil for the times when a lighter beer is in order.

Thanks 🙂
    Lorraine

• July 1, 2010 at 5:18 pm #

Don is out of pocket today, but I hit him up via text, and he recommends 21st Amendment’s Monks Blood, which I think is a good call, too.

Also, have you tried a Trappistes Rochefort 8 yet? It’s a Belgian with a rich and sublime flavor that doesn’t present any of the “funk” that some Belgian beers do. Trappistes Rochefort make 3 beers, creatively named the 6, the 8 and the 10. I find the 8 to be the best of the bunch, but some folks prefer the 10. But I just think that’s because this is America, and 10 is more than 8, so 10 is better. 🙂 Regardless, I wholly recommend the 8.

1. Is You Body Better Off Without Craft Beer? « Beer & Whiskey Brothers - July 8, 2010

[…] in moderation, enjoying one or two beers per session.  Blasting your body with 48 ounces of Old Chub might be fun, but it will probably wipe out whatever benefits you might get from […]

2. Guess What’s My Favorite All-Around Beer of the Moment | Beer & Whiskey Brothers Blog - December 6, 2011

[…] Oskar Blues Old Chub Scottish-Style Ale! […]