Oskar Blues Gubna: Don’t Meass with Texeas

Well Mr Gubna, Thanks for your service! Please don’t come back, and good luck with that library!  Well one thing you can say about the former gubna of Texas, and the former President of the US is he was a simple man.  What you saw was what you got!  A former drug addict, party boy that got bad grades and almost bankrupted the Texas Rangers baseball team, and did bankrupt the country!  Way to go, I guess the saying is correct don’t meass with Texeas! They’ll make you loose all your money!

Being a simple man, perhaps GWB can appreciate Oskar Blues latest seasonal Gubna Imperial IPA.  It is truly a big IPA with 10% ABV, but it is simple at the same time.  Only two malts, a barley and one hop variety.  Summit, and man those are a great hop…

To say that Gubna from Oskar Blues is big is like saying the Titanic was a big boat.  This is huge and totally off kilter and out of balance, and I loved it!  It was hopped and then hopped again with a dry hopping process to make its big character and great flavor.

It poured a nice golden amber with a frothy white head that left lots of the good stuff on the sides of the glass.  The nose was almost pure hops.  The big citrusy kind.  Smells like grapefruit juice and love!  I was able to detect some malt, but the balance is totally skewed to the hop side of the dial.

The taste rocked me!  This was big!  It actually started out with a touch of a roasty smokey malt, but then the hops took over and overshadowed everything else almost.  They were big and citrusy and wonderful.  It is a very satisfying brew.  The almost part of the flavor is the alcohol.  At 10 percent it is going to let its presence be known, and it does on the backside of the flavor.  It is, however well integrated into the profile and leaves a nice warming sensation but finishes crisp and clean.

All in all this was a very satisfying brew.  Of all the Oskar Blues beers I’ve had to date, I like this the best.  Big flavor, creamy mouthfeel and no can taste!  What more can you ask for in a brew?  I have a Gordon and a Old Chub in the beer fridge so I will see if this remains my favorite, but Oskar Blues Gubna was big, bright and a real winner in my book.  Keepin’ it simple!

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Beer, review

17 Comments on “Oskar Blues Gubna: Don’t Meass with Texeas”

1. May 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

I love the way this beer smells, but I’m not a big fan of its taste – too over the top for me. I prefer Dale’s Pale Ale, which is still my go-to IPA.

May 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

I loved it. I’m a little surprised at your thoughts on this brew Jim. You like big over the top brews that push the envelope. I think you got too comfortable with Dales. So you were comparing it too much. You need to try it again and forget you know how Dales tastes, or that Gubna is in some way related to Dales and you might like it better.

• May 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm #

I actually had a Gubna last night Don, in preparation for your rebuttal/calling me a beer wuss. It’s a terrific smelling brew, but the hops are just too overbearing for me. They’re like an obnoxious drunk at a Super Bowl party – hanging out with someone who’s a little bit tipsy is fun, but a raging drunk is a buzz kill.

A big beer like Storm King is killer hoppy, but also super malty – there’s balance, like the Super Bowl guy who drinks a lot but also loads up on chicken wings. Gubna is just too one-sided for me. I’m also not a fan of Rogue’s Double IPA (or whatever the hell they call it) for the same reason. Not my bag, even a little bit.

Dale’s, however, is a nicely balanced beer. Not as big on the ABV, but still very hoppy, a little spicy and right on the money.

If it’s any consolation, I also don’t appreciate the gubna from Texas you refer to in the post.

May 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

Well nobody does that one. I guess you are just a hop wuss. Oh you can take the malt and barrel aging etc, but throw a little hops your way and you fold like a house of cards. Then how can you like Arrogant bastard and Ruination. Both overly hoppy. Maybe it is just the summit hops you don’t prefer? You’re weird Jim!

• May 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

Those other beers you mention have a much heartier malt profile and are a bit less hoppy than the gubna.

2. May 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

Well, when we Texans elected him, I recall there was something about a campaign promise to sign a concealed-carry bill into law, previously vetoed by the incumbent. You know us Texans and guns… we like them. Much like folks in the Mountain West. 🙂

For whatever reason, I’ve shied away from Oskar Blues beers. I don’t know why. I haven’t had a good reason to do so. I shall make a concerted effort to try their beers, especially this one. Carry on.

• May 20, 2010 at 3:09 pm #

That, and we wanted him out of baseball. Unfortunately, the Rangers are still rather abysmal.

May 20, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

Tex, I’d definitely give this one a try. They make better NW beers than the breweries in the NW! We like our guns in Idaho too. Did he bankrupt Texas like he did everything else he has been associated with?

• May 20, 2010 at 3:17 pm #

Not really… he left us to become president and left us with his AG, who is set to win re-election again. He really couldn’t do too much damage financially in Texas; there is a requirement that each budget must be balanced. Truthfully, the governor in Texas is a relatively weak position compared to other governors. The nation was better with him there.

May 20, 2010 at 3:35 pm #

AMEN!

3. Clayton Olley
    May 20, 2010 at 7:18 pm #

I tried this one as well but I much prefer Gordon to Gubna. I realize that’s jumping styles a bit, but I had them around the same time. Gordon is much better.

That’s just my 2 packets.

May 21, 2010 at 10:03 am #

For the longest time Clayton I couldn’t get Gordon here in Idaho, then when the Gubna came in so did the Gordon, so I have one of those in my beer fridge right now too. I’ll give it a try and see if I agree with you. It is a bit like apples and oranges however as you say because Gubna is an Imperial IPA and Gordon is an amber. But I’m willing to take that hit for the team and try them both! 🙂

4. May 20, 2010 at 11:50 pm #

So Don, is Jim really saying this is a nuclear (or as GWB might say, nuquler) melt your face off beer? I’m confused? 🙂

May 21, 2010 at 10:05 am #

Apparently, Scott, this beer melted my brother’s face off, and he didn’t much care for the face melting process. I however am far more manly than Jim, and my face did not melt off! Is a matter of fact I will go back for more!

• May 21, 2010 at 10:20 am #

It’s not a melt your face off beer, it’s just a case of an unpleasantly unbalanced beer, IMO. I had one the other night and it wasn’t awful, it just wasn’t wonderful. I have two more cans that I’ll drink for sure, but I’d never buy it again.

Dale’s Pale Ale (also from Oskar Blues) costs 1/3 the price and is twice as good. I’ll be picking some up tonight.

May 21, 2010 at 10:36 am #

Just admit it Jim! I’m twice the man you’ll ever be.

• May 21, 2010 at 10:40 am #