Whatcha Having This Weekend: Back to Form Edition

It’s been a little while since we’ve asked about you beer, whiskey and food-inspired plans for the weekend and that’s just not right! Time to get back to form.

For me, I’m looking forward to tasting the latest creation from my friends over at Manor House Brewing (hit them up on Facebook here), one of their signature beers gone wild with Belgian yeast.  I think it’s going to be great.

I’m also firing up the Bayou Burner and cooking some beer of my own, the Bell’s Two Hearted clone that’s been patiently sitting on the dining room table for the last two weekends waiting for my schedule and the weather to align.  Looks like that’ll be the case Sunday.

And somewhere in there might be a little whiskey drinking as well.  It’s been too long for me, and all that talk about how I do it wrong (check out the bashing I take in the comments!) has made me crave the hard stuff.

So between enjoying some amazing home brew, brewing and a little whiskey drinking, I should be in fine form this weekend.  It’s about time!

How about you? Any plans to brew? Anyone cracking open a special bottle of beer or grilling up something amazing? Anybody on the wagon and shedding a tear as he pours the beer he really wants to drink into a cooking pan (looking at you, Peter)?

Take a minute and let us know what you’ll be having this weekend!

Tags: , ,

Categories: Beer, Brotherhood, Home Brew, Home Brewing, Lifestyle, Whiskey

22 Comments on “Whatcha Having This Weekend: Back to Form Edition”

1. May 14, 2010 at 11:34 am #

I’ll be 1/2 brewing…my Saison demands another primary fermentation that include the “secret ingredient”, so I’ll do that. I haven’t been drinking much lately, so I am looking forward to trying a new beer, preferably Belgian.

I’m also thinking of picking up a cigar…something I very rarely do. But it makes me look cool.

• May 14, 2010 at 11:36 am #

Oooh, a cigar – very manly, especially while wearing tiger stripe face paint with smoke billowing in the background. You’ll be just like an 80’s action hero!!

What’s the secret ingredient? Or is that why you call it secret?

• Big Tex
      May 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

Cigar… Sounds like fun, but I’d rather get a kiss from my wife. Cigars and kisses are mutually exclusive over here. 😦

2. May 14, 2010 at 11:34 am #

Thanks Jim for Rubbing it in! I think I’m gonna cry… :'(

• May 14, 2010 at 11:39 am #

You’ll be alright, Peter. Meanwhile I better watch my teasing, as you’ll be able to kick my ass with chopsocky Tae Kwon Do moves.

Just promise not to pour out any more Mad Elf onto steaks!

3. Jeff Schwartz
    May 14, 2010 at 11:34 am #

Not sure what the specifics of what I will be drinking – but drinking is the agenda this weekend Some good friends are getting married and Jennifer is in the wedding. The wedding is in Livermore which is a little wine town about 40 minutes from our home. Weekend plan:
    Today – barrell tasting at the winery where the wedding is being held – followed by the rehearsal dinner followed by a local brewpub.
    Tomorrow – lunch at another local brewpub followed by cocktails at the hotel bar followed by the evening wedding at Murrietta’s Well Winery. They will be pouring an assortment of nice reds…
    Should be a fun time…

• May 14, 2010 at 11:40 am #

I think we have a winner here, folks! Have a good time, Jeff. I know I would!

4. Rob Crozier
    May 14, 2010 at 11:38 am #

I have a few things going on this weekend: first, going to hit a bottle of Troegs Flying Mouflan tonight that I picked up earlier this week, can’t wait. Saturday I will be attending the 1st launch of the NJ Beer Company (http://www.njbeerco.com/home.html) and tasting their first 3 brews at the Copper Mine Pub in North Arlington, NJ…really psyched about this! Another NJ brewery to brag about!

• May 14, 2010 at 11:44 am #

Glad you finally tracked down the Flying Mouflan, Rob. Enjoy it!

I’d love to make it out and support the NJ Beer Company, but it’s nearly impossible with the little ones right now. Glad you’ll be there. You should be in good company, as lots of BrewYorkers (a gaggle of area bloggers) will be there as well.

You can find them on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/BrewYork

have fun!!

• Rob Crozier
        May 14, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

Unfortunately, I didn’t buy it at BL (sshhh…don’t tell kevin). I love Troegs beers so I am looking forward to tasting Mouflan for the first time. I have a bunch of friends going to the NJ Beer Company event – should be fun and I have been looking forward to going to the Copper Mine Pub for a while….supporting the NJ beer scene, awesome!

• May 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm #

i won’t post it if you don’t…oh, too late! I’d like to take a trip to the Coppermine Pub as well some day. Sounds like an a-ok place to have some great draft beers.

5. May 14, 2010 at 3:18 pm #

I was hoping to make the NJ Beer Co event, and I might still be able to so my fingers are crossed. Otherwise, I haven’t made any decisions. Maybe some of that Knob Creek stuff with a ton of ice and an orange peel. Hey, should the ice cubes be spring water or NJ reservoir water?

• May 14, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

I’d go with good old fashioned NJ reservoir water for the local flavor! Hope you make it out to the NJ Beer Co event – it sounds like it’ll be fun. Maybe your mother-in-law can be your designated driver!

6. Big Tex
    May 14, 2010 at 7:55 pm #

Me, well, I’m kegging my IPA soon. And drinking beer of a kind yet to be determined.

• May 14, 2010 at 9:38 pm #

As long as there’s beer, it doesn’t matter what kind.

I just had some amazing honebrew from some folks who are working towards opening a brewery. They are well on their way judging by the way this one turned out.

7. May 14, 2010 at 9:20 pm #

Sounds like a plan, Jim. I’m hoping I can make it too! I think its a great accomplishment to open a new brewery, especially here in Jersey.

8. May 14, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

Cool. You polished off the growler already?

• May 15, 2010 at 9:18 am #

Yup. I was advised that it wouldn’t hold up until morning, so my wife and I dutifully worked our way through it. Hard work, but we made the sacrifice!

• May 15, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

Its all about that North Jersey water;) we do supply like half the world you know.. LOL..

• May 15, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

I’ve had the water, Bill. You guys did some kind of magic to it.

9. Tomi Gerber
    May 18, 2010 at 10:21 am #

The ladies at Manor House tasted our first “beer wives brew” this weekend. While we drink with the big boys, we wanted to brew a “gate way beer” for all the significant others of our big-brew drinkers (non-gender specific here!) This one’s called Summer House…it’s a wheat-style ale with a subtle citrus and spice background…we used a pretty exotic yeast to get a really different quality out of it. It’s kind of delicate…nothing like the wheat-beers you get from the big labels. Perfect for those hot summer days just around the corner. We were pretty excited when we poured it Sunday…it turned out pretty nice.

• May 18, 2010 at 10:26 am #

Sounds terrific, Tomi, like a perfect entry point into the world of good beer. And the timing is perfect, too, as summer is almost here.

Like everything you guys do, I can’t wait to taste it!