Drinking at the Super 8–The Flagging Epilogue

I’m done!  It was a huge day of client and public interaction.  My job requires me to put together and conduct Public meetings.  It is exhausting and I am spent!  The meeting went from 4-7pm, so I was there at 2:30pm setting up, after a morning of working.  I conducted the meeting from 4-7, then we broke down and were out of there around 7:25pm.  I was looking forward to getting some Chinese Take out and relaxing in my room, but my clients wanted to debrief at the local bar, so we did.  That lasted about an hour and a half, and it was good, but I was already tired and just wanted to be done with my evening.  At about 8:45pm I said I needed to get going, and said I still needed to get dinner.  I was foolishly thinking that the Chinese restaurant would be open at least until 9:00pm.  WRONG!  They were long closed, so guess what I ended up with?…

That is right, freakin’ Subway.  Now don’t get me wrong, there is nothing bad about subway per se.  I have eaten there of my own volition many times, but when you are expecting Shrimp and Peapods with Pork Fried Rice and an Egg Roll, but you end up with the only thing open being Subway it is a tough adjustment to go to the plan B.

I also had a Sam Adams Noble Pils at the Bar, and it was quite good for a Pilsner.  I have one in my bunker to review at a later time,  I also had an Evan Williams Bourbon neat.  So tonight is not going to be my typical three beer review.  Just one…

Laughing Dog Brewery’s Alpha Dog Imperial IPA is a piney and hoppy brew from Sandpoint, Idaho.  This is a solid offering from this brewery that has had several good beers.   This is an 8% ABV brew that has a lot of piney hop character with a light malt body and a medium mouthfeel.

The nose is very piney in character with some yeasty smell coming through, and a touch of booziness.  The pour had a ton of head and left a lot of lacing on the glass as it went down.

The flavor is good and solid.  With 127 IBUs this has a big hop character with a bitter and somewhat dry finish.  It is a good brew, but not an amazing one.  Solid, and I will get it again, but I’ve had better, and I’ve had way worse.

So that is it tonight.  I’m tired and I want to go home.  I won’t be back up here for a few months.  So that will be it from the Super 8 for a while.  Don’t fear, however in April I have a business trip to New Orleans!  There will be more drinking from the hotel, and the bar.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Beer

25 Comments on “Drinking at the Super 8–The Flagging Epilogue”

1. February 25, 2010 at 9:31 am #

I’ve had the AlphaDog recently, too, Don and it’s a really nice IPA. That said, it’s interchangeable with several other nice IPAs, and I can see that reflected in your review.

Can’t wait to see what the Super 8 in New Orleans is like!

February 25, 2010 at 10:43 am #

It was a really nice IPA, that is a good way to put it, but it is not special. It is very good. Sorry to disappoint, but I’m staying at the Hilton on the river in New Orleans. This is actually the only hotel I’ve stayed at in New Orleans, stayed there the other time I was in the Big Easy. But this time I’m staying 2 nights longer, so I hope to get to Bourbon Street this time! 🙂

• February 25, 2010 at 10:52 am #

Bourbon Street is overrated, even if you love bourbon (which you do). If however, you like to see drunken 40-something women and their sunburned husbands stagger drunkenly down the street and turn their ankles on cobblestones, then it’s the place to be. Amateur hour, Creole-style!

February 25, 2010 at 11:06 am #

For me it is all about the Bourbon! I’m hoping to be able to sample some mind bending spirits! There is so much I can’t get here, hoping to get a bunch of whiskeys I don’t have east access to.

• February 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

Sounds like you’ll be really productive at your “conference.” Just like John Locke on Lost…

February 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Is he the fat one that never got skinny while stranded on a deserted Island? I think he found the portal to a McDonalds and didn’t tell anyone about it!

• February 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

That’s Hugo, and turns out coconut has lots of calories – who knew?

Locke is the guy in the wheelchair who was supposed to go to a conference in Australia and decided to go walkabout instead. Then his plane crashed on the way home. See what happens when you screw around on the company dime?

February 25, 2010 at 1:19 pm #

How does the wheelchair work in the sand?

• Kevin M
          February 25, 2010 at 1:27 pm #

I have no idea how my comment landed way above what you guys are talking about… maybe it found that same portal that Hugo found to the Mickey D’s?!

• February 25, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

Time/space travel is possible – you just proved it Kev!!

2. February 25, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

Don, there’s no guessing what type of day you had by looking at your picture! The pictures from N.O. should be priceless!

• February 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

Can’t wait to see him hawkin’ for beads in the Quarter!

February 25, 2010 at 12:16 pm #

It was rough and long. Combine that with a bad night’s sleep and working all morning and a one hour time change that is what you get around 10pm! I’m thinking I should take up a donation of beads. I could take pictures and post them for what they get me! Probably that would turn the site into something we wouldn’t approve of. My wife has told me “No Beads”! Oh well, I really just want to try some new whiskeys! Yum!

3. Kevin M
    February 25, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

You know, I was never much of a Lost fan–I watched the first season and a little of the second–but, as I see a little bit here and there, I’ve always wondered about Hugo… That character never made any sense to me. I mean, seriously, how do you not lose at least a pound while stranded on that island???

February 25, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

That was my thought exactly Kevin! I never understood that about Lost. I am proud to say I watched the first episode and realized it was crap and haven’t seen one since.

• February 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

I think Don’s on to something with the whole McDonald’s portal thing. Or perhaps Domino’s delivers to the island?

• Kevin M
        February 25, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

I think it was that guy who lived in the whole that Locke opened up that made me stop watching. I mean, how the heck do all these people all end up on the same desolate island? And they’re all interconnected? Seriously? Needless to say, I wasn’t buying what they were selling… Dexter, on the other hand, I ended up signing up for Showtime for that show!

• February 25, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

Love Dexter. Still waiting for season 3 to hit Netflix on Demand. I’m also watching Weeds season 5 on Blu-Ray. So apparently I’ll give Netflix my money, but not Showtime!

• Kevin M
          February 25, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

I don’t have the patience to wait for shows to show up on torrents or netflix… a show like Dexter, I have to watch it as soon as possible. I stopped working Sundays just to make sure I could see it at 9pm!

• February 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

Since I got a DVR, I typically don’t wait for anything to come on anymore. But we did order Showtime for Season 2 of Dexter and watched a lot of it live. Then we cancelled when the season concluded. Fairweather subscribers!

4. February 25, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

Looks tasty! I ❤ Imperial IPA's

February 25, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

It was very good, and paired nicely with the Pastrami sandwich. Just not what I was expecting that night!

• February 25, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

I hear the pastrami in Grangeville is world class, just like Katz’s in NYC…

February 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Hey Grangeville and Pastrami go together like Bourbon and cookies! 😉

February 25, 2010 at 1:59 pm #

BTW I’ve had Katz’s Pastrami in NYC…This was no Katz’s…