Beer of the Month Club: Round Two

Well, I’ve received my second shipment from the Beer of the Month Club and I’m happy to report that there’s not a bottle of Saranac to be found.  Instead, there are four nice little beers, two from a brewery called Sherwood Forest out of Marlborough, Massachusetts and two from Sweetwater Brewery in Atlanta, Georgia. I was happy that these were beers I’d never had or even heard of before.

The two beers from Sherwood Forest were solid picks.  Their Sheriff’s India Pale Ale was a good, if not average, IPA.  Their  Friar’s Belgian-Style White Ale was a pleasant and orangey wheat beer, a nice and light authentic-tasting brew.

The Sweetwater selections were a little more up and down.  Their Georgia Brown was a malty, caramel-tasting brown ale.  It was sweet and pleasant.  So pleasant, in fact, that there wasn’t an example left to pose in the picture above.  The other beer was their 420 IPA, which really didn’t do much for me – it was incredibly average.  The newsletter that came with the beers recommended blending the Georgia Brown and the 420, which I did and wish I didn’t.  The result was a wasted bottle of the Georgia Brown, as the 420 really didn’t bring anything to the party.

So that’s the topline; none of these beers really warrant going deep.  I’ve come to peace with the fact that the Beer of the Month Club (especially the “domestic” level my wife picked for me) is really geared to noobs. None of the beers I’ve received are mind-blowing, but they’d probably be flavor explosions if you’re used to drinking Coors Light.  As such, they do a good job luring the uninitiated into the craft beer fold without scaring them off with challenging flavors.

And they didn’t send me a drop of Saranac this month. In the end, that’s all that really matters.

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Beer

8 Comments on “Beer of the Month Club: Round Two”

1. February 17, 2010 at 7:51 pm #

That’s so cool! I think my beer-of-the-month club shipment is due soon, come to think of it. I hope this time is as tasty as yours looks! Last time was a selection of beers from Jackson Hole, WY that were truly awesome.

• February 17, 2010 at 8:17 pm #

I love the idea of a bunch of beers from a single city. Sounds like you club might be better than mine. So far I’ve been a little underwhelmed, but that might be due to the fact that I’m spoiled. 🙂

2. February 18, 2010 at 11:33 am #

Did you take that pic jim? if so, nice work.
    That is much better. I havent’ had any of those beers. Whoah….Sweet water has a wild website.

February 18, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

Nate was that a backhanded dis on my drinking in the Super 8 pic? I thought that was rather ingenious of me.

• February 18, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

Naw, he’s can’t be comparing the two photos – I didn’t bring the sexy like you did, Don!

February 18, 2010 at 12:23 pm #

Yeah Jim, you watch out for my sexy. Pretty soon I’ll own the blogosphere!

• February 18, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

I took the pic with my iPhone. There’s something to be said for sunlight. And I agree that the Sweetwater site is a little…ambitious.

3. February 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

haha, you guys are funny…that motel pic was sexy alright.
    I can’t believe you got that with an iPhone. I don’t have an iPhone, but now I have another reason to want one.