Monday Morning Hangover: The Agony of Defeat

Well, it was a cruddy weekend for our teams here at B&WB.  My Jets were shot down by the man-robot Peyton Manning and Don’s “Whoever-Brett-Favre-is-Playing-Fors” also met their end at the hands of…wait for it…Brett Favre.  But I had some good beers along the way, so it’s not all bad.  Besides, now the Super Bowl can be all about the food, the drink and the commercials, just like it’s supposed to be.

This weekend I finally had the chance to try some of the “better” beers by Flying Dog, who I torched on these pages not too long ago for being incredibly average. I sampled their Raging Bitch Belgian IPA (a typical wild ale) and their Gonzo Porter (a typical imperial porter).  Both beers were well-made, but really not all that special or unique.  Still, I have to rescind my blanket statement about the brewery not being for me – I’d gladly have either of these beers again, but I’m not sure I’d seek them out.  Overall, I can now say Flying Dog makes a handful of good beers and a bunch of really average ones. But the labels are cool, so they have that going for them.

I also had an Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout in the can, which I’ve been eager to try.  It was a really nice beer, with a rich chocolate  flavor and a satisfying finish, but it was pricey as well.  The four pack of cans set me back $14.25, which was a bit dear for an Imperial Stout.  Still, cans are great for the lake in the summertime (they are the only thing we can bring in) so I might treat myself once or twice when the warm weather returns.

So that was my weekend.  The Jets lost, Flying Dog is (barely) above average, and good things come in cans, as long as you have the cash.  How about you?  Anything remarkable, exciting or (for the Jets and Vikings fans out there) agonizing about your weekend?  As always, we invite you to share in the Comments below.
Share/Bookmark

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Whiskey

10 Comments on “Monday Morning Hangover: The Agony of Defeat”

1. Rob Crozier
    January 25, 2010 at 11:12 am #

You can hold your head high as the Jets played a great game; Sanchez is the real deal and you should look forward to many more playoff games in the seasons ahead. As for beers, I finally tried Southern Tier Oat and, WOW, what a great beer! Your write up was dead on and I have to add it to one of my all time favorites. I did pick up a 4-pack of the Flying Dog Gonzo Porter out of curiosity from your previous post and hope to try it in the weeks to come. As for the Ten Fidy, I hate to pay $15 for a four pack but I know I will just to say I tried it – that’s one thing that I wish Boonton Liquors offered are single bottles/cans so I can try one rather than a 4 or 6-pack.

Next beer in my sights – Troegs Nugget Nectar; it should be in this week and I’ve read/heard good things about it.

• January 25, 2010 at 11:26 am #

I feel a Troegs spree coming on, so keep me posted on the Nugget Nectar.

Liquor Outlet will not be selling singles any time soon. I brought it up to Kevin (Dark Lord of the Stout) who runs the beer department, and it’s just too much hassle from an inventory standpoint. Which is a shame, because it would make it the perfect beer store.

There’s a place in Wanaque called Crown Liquors that sells a ton of interesting singles. The owner is a craft beer nut and really knows his stuff. It might be worth stopping in.

January 25, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

Well…Favre I think it’s time to retire! He gave his all, and it wasn’t good enough. I really doubt he has another season in him like this one, and knowing that I think he should hang up his cleats. He is just too old to hang with guys half his age on the field. It was a fun season though, and now I can root for Payton Manning and the Colts to go all the way. If they do win, however it is a little hollow because the perfect season was sacrificed.

As for brews, etc. I had a Hopfish IPA from Flying fish. See post above. I had a St. Pauly Girl Special Dark that was much better than I expected, and I had a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA that was just great! I also had a dram of Ezra Brooks 90 Proof Bourbon that was just the right thing to finish off the evening last night! Great stuff, and great football. I hope the Superbowl is every bit as good!

3. January 25, 2010 at 12:48 pm #

I’m on the lookout for Nugget Nectar myself.

The way you felt about the Flying Dog gonzo and Raging Bitch pretty much sums up my feelings. They’re not awful, just forgettable in my opinion. I have yet to try the revered Oscar Blues. It doesn’t show up around here. I saw some when I was in KC, but I was broke at the time. It’s painful to find a beer you’ve been wanting to try and then having to walk away.

This weekend I had the SWUS brews, Sierra Nevada Glissade (thumbs up!), a few abita beers (thumbs down), A stegmaier holliday warmer (thumbs down, but it was only $ 0.50, and I brewed up a batch of beer that is bubbling away in the corner of the kitchen.

• January 25, 2010 at 1:59 pm #

Funny thing about Abita is that it gets a pass in my book. I had a bunch of them when I was in New Orleans with a bad back many years ago (before I knew anything about beer) and having one takes me right back to the Big Easy, which is a very interesting place to be.

Also, the Oskar Blues stuff is good, but what makes it special is the can. If you don’t need beer in cans, then there are plenty of wonderful substitutes. For what you’ll spend on a four pack Ten Fidy, you can get 6 or more of something else that is comparable.

4. January 25, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

My weekend went pretty well. 🙂

• January 25, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

I know it did, Mike. Hope your guys go all the way – they looked unstoppable to me (and my Jets).

5. January 26, 2010 at 8:12 am #

I can’t complain. I think that the Jets kept it respectable, but both games were good to watch and it should make for a good super bowl. Why is the Pro Bowl next week though????

This weekend I had a bunch of new stuff! I had the Winter Ale from St. Peter’s, Founder’s Breakfast Stout and my bottle of Mt. Tam Pale Ale from Cali! All new to me!

• January 26, 2010 at 9:48 am #

Sounds like a good mix this weekend, Scott. The Pro Bowl is this week and although the NFL won’t admit it, they probably moved it up sp it didn’t compete with the Olympics. I know I’d rather watch Curling.

1. Pouring Out New Belgium’s La Folie: I couldn’t Make the Lip of Faith « Beer & Whiskey Brothers - August 11, 2010

[…] beer nerds.  In the case of Flying Dog, it was their very serviceable Raging Bitch wild IPA that turned me around. In the case of New Belgium, their redemption lies in their Lips of Faith line, an assortment of […]