A Man of My Word!

photo

I hopped up on my little soap box last week and recommended that you run out and show your support for Rock Art brewery by purchasing their beers.  The photo above shows that I practiced what I preached, an increasingly rare penomemnon in our day and age.

So far I’ve had the Vermonster, which was great and the Ridge Runner which was very pleasant, too.  The Ridge Runner is a barley wine similar to the Vermonster, but without all the hop craziness.  It sort of plays David Banner to the Vermonster’s Hulk.  Which is good, because sometimes you want to chill out with Dave and other times you feel like bustin’ the place up with an angry green monster.

I also had the IPA pictured above, but forgot about it because it was a little, uh, forgettable.  Not bad, but probably not something I’d buy again.  I know that Rob (one of our readers from Jersey) picked up a Riddler over the weekend.  That one’s on my to-get list for sure.

So what about the rest of you?  Did anyone else go out pick up a few Rock Art selections?  Are you planning to?

Categories: Beer

23 Comments on “A Man of My Word!”

October 20, 2009 at 4:09 pm #

I asked about it at the Boise Co Op. Surprise surprise, they didn’t have it! They tend to stay regional. But I did find the Brewforia Beer Lovers Collective in Boise, and they are threatening to open a storefront in town. They will specialize in craft brews from around the country and the world! That would be cool!

• Jim
      October 20, 2009 at 4:11 pm #

I think Rock Art is available only in VT, NY, NJ, CT, PA and Arizona. Not sure about Massachusetts. Anyway, it’s here in NJ, so it’s easy to do the right thing.

2. October 20, 2009 at 4:21 pm #

I wish I could support! But I live in OH. I’d order some, but I’m pretty low on shekels this time of year.

“an increasingly rare phenomenon in our day and age.”

Yes sir. I know this is a beer blog, so I’ll avoid rabbit trailing into an ethical rant on the ever increasing whimsical wishy washiness these days, but you are right, and I’m glad to see you post your follow through.

• Jim
      October 20, 2009 at 4:28 pm #

Thanks, Nate. On an unrelated topic (another rabbit trail) I tried Bell’s Two Hearted IPA this weekend and really enjoyed it. Brian from Beer & Comics was saying Bell’s has Eccentric Day in November at the brewery, the only time you can pick up that particular beer. This made me think of you – have you mentioned going up there for Eccentric Day at some point on http://www.thankheavenforbeer.com ?

October 20, 2009 at 4:40 pm #

Is the vermonster in the picture actually larger? It looks like it might be a 22, when the others are 12?

• Jim
      October 20, 2009 at 4:43 pm #

The Hulk is bigger than David Banner, right? The Vermonster is a 22oz and the others are 12’s.

October 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

ha! can’t fool me with your Trick Photography!

4. October 20, 2009 at 5:01 pm #

Bell’s Two Hearted is great!
    I’d love to make it up there, but my wife will probably just have had our fifth baby…probably not a good time to announce a beer trek to Kzoo! I may be able to hit up Jolly Pumpkin’s Perseguidor release though! Yes, I may have to post about these on our site!

October 20, 2009 at 5:34 pm #

Jeeze Nate! 5 kids? Catholic or Mormon? Probably not mormon with a Thank Heaven for Beer site, that would get you excommunicated! I thought I had a lot with 4. Now I understand all the beer…

• October 20, 2009 at 6:37 pm #

Ha! No and no…although I am more of the Catholic persuasion. Yes, while I love the little ones, putting them to bed makes a brew taste all the better some nights!

October 20, 2009 at 6:44 pm #

I tell ya, keep that supernanny chick away from the house! First thing she’ll tell you is to get rid of all the Beer!

5. October 21, 2009 at 12:33 am #

Good on ya Jim! You find all these in Boonton? None of my usual places had any Rock Art, or I would have grabbed some for sure. Also, where did you find the Bells? I’ve been told that’s the IPA for non IPA fans like me!

Between Nate and Don, I feel very inadequate reproductively speaking!

• Jim
      October 21, 2009 at 1:15 am #

Actually, I went to Crown Liquors in Wanaque. It’s a smaller shop, but the owner (everyone calls him “T”) is a big craft beer fan and has an impressive array of singles for sale.

We got to talking about beers, and he told me about how great Bell’s is. He then went to his secret stash and pulled out one of the two Two Hearted IPAs his friend had brought him from PA. I was a little shocked when he gave it to me free of charge. I gratefully accepted and really enjoyed it.

My wife doesn’t like IPAs either (says they taste like soap) but she really liked the Bell’s. Definately one you want to keep an eye out for when you’re in PA or NY.

October 21, 2009 at 1:55 pm #

Believe me, reproductively speaking, I wouldn’t trade any of my kids for anything, ever, but if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, things would have been different! Enough Dr. Phil…We now resume our regular beer and whiskey programming!:)

6. Rob Crozier
    October 22, 2009 at 5:53 pm #

Just read where Rock Art won/settled their case with Monster Beverages! Good news for all. I plan on cracking open that bottle of ?The Riddler? that I’ve been saving tonight to celebrate…and hopefully celebrate a Yankee victory over the Angels as well!

• Jim
      October 22, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

Sounds like a great way to celebrate Rock Art’s victory. And who knows, maybe the Yankees’ as well!

7. Rob Crozier
    October 23, 2009 at 12:39 pm #

Didn’t get to celebrate a Yankee victory but busted open ?The Riddler? last night.

It poured a hazy brown with minimal head. Malt and dark fruit were prevalent with the first sniff and with the first sip, definitely tasted apples, chocolate and hints of cherries. Strong malt overtones up front and the hops bites you on the back end. It was a bit unbalanced where I expected less of the hop bite and as the beer warmed up it lost its flavor; my expectations of a bigger finish were not realized. All in all for the price (I think I paid under $5 for a 22 oz bomber) it was a decent beer. I’ll stick with The Vermonster though.

• Jim
      October 23, 2009 at 12:50 pm #

Sounds like a bit of a disappointment in both regards. The Vermonster is definately my favorite Rock Art brew so far. I’d still like to try the Riddler, and as you said, it’s low risk at the $5.00 price point.

• Rob Crozier
        October 23, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

I will definitely try the other beers they have to offer. This is the first dubbel that I’ve tasted so I’d like to try other breweries versions and come back to The Riddler for comparison. I always try to give a beer a “second chance” if you will as there are times when the timing was not right for a certain beer and, in all fairness, try it again under different circumstances.

On another note, by older brother (who has off on Fridays) is going to stop in at Cricket Hill in Fairfield and fill my growler with their latest brew – Nocturne – a dark lager. Reports on that to come…

• Jim
          October 23, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

Rob,

If you’re getting into dubbels, I recommend starting with Chimay Red or Blue. To me, Chimay is the gold standard and is a great representation of what a dubbel should be. It’s a great baseline for comparing other brews.

Please let us know how you like the Cricket Hill. I’ve been trying to get into their stuff, but so far I’ve struck out with their Hopnitic Ale.

• Rob Crozier
          October 24, 2009 at 3:41 pm #

I’ve had the Chimay but it was so long ago, I don’t even remember anything about it – thanks for the recommendation!

As for Cricket Hill, its kind of a “route for the home team” thing for me; they are so local I turn my head a bit and support them only because of their proximity to where I live (its about a 5 mile drive). Their beers are OK – nothing spectacular, but good enough to serve to friends that are beer savvy. I find that their beers tast better in the summer for some reason. The beer I tasted last night, Nocturne, is a dark lager and was just recently released and a new brew for CH. It was OK, surprise, surprise. It poured very dark brown and when held to the light, you can see through it. A very frothy head formed when poured and was tan in color. First sip was disappointing as I expected more bite. I detected the hops and a bit of toffee and chocolate but not much else. I had to remember that it was a lager but I’ve had Sam Adams Black Lager and it had a lot more flavor. I did try another taste a few hours later and the beer did settle down some – tasted more of a balance between the hops and the other flavors. All in all, average.

I have a bottle of The Bruery’s Autumn Maple in my basement waiting to be tasted. Can’t wait!

• Jim
          October 24, 2009 at 4:45 pm #

I really like the idea of supporting the home team, too, but the one beer from Cricket Hill I’ve had (their Hopnotic Ale) tasted like Bud to me. I plan on giving them another try, but don’t know what’s good.

The Autumn Maple is a great beer. I still have to try and pick one up to serve on Thanksgiving.

• Rob
          October 24, 2009 at 6:14 pm #

Best to see if someone you know has a bottle of their other offerings rather than buying a six-pack and finding out that you wasted your money. I’ve tasted a lot of low-end beers that way – go to a picnic or BBQ where someone brought a beer you wanted to try but didn’t want to buy because you weren’t sure.