Hale’s Supergoose IPA: What’s With the Meerkat?

OK, first of all I have to thank Evan Burke for being so generous and sending me several examples of Washington brews.  Evan did a Guest Post on Washington Brews earlier this month, here.  This was the only IPA he sent, so the others will probably wait until the weather cools a bit.  Again, the generosity of Craft Beer people never ceases to amaze me.  Evan, thanks.  You dind’t need to send these, but you feel passionate about your state’s brews and you want to share.  I appreciate and applaud your passion.

Hale’s Supergoose IPA is a very “traditional” Northwest IPA.  It is full of cascade, summit and Amarillo hops, and has that citrusy and piney goodness that many IPAs in the Northwest have become famous for.  What I wasn’t expecting was the big malt backbone that made this very good IPA all the more remarkable…This was a really great IPA.  I’d love to do a throw down between this IPA and either of the Plineys.  I’ll bet this is as good or better.  The pour was pretty basic.  A thin white head with a beautiful clear golden amber brew.  It poured dark but was clear at the same time.  A striking combination, and made me all the more curious to taste it.  The nose was small.   Much smaller than I expected and it had the piney and grapefruity smells like driving through a hop field.  Not quite as intense as the hop freezer at Victory Brewing, but smelled similar.

The flavor of this brew was very good, and striking.  If, you’ve every had New Belgium’s Ranger IPA, this is the brew that Ranger could be if it were well crafted.  Ranger IPA to me tastes almost like pure grapefruit juice.  This however had the grapefruity flavor, but it has a huge malt backbone that stands this brew upright and balances out the plethora of hops that are in this beer.

It started out like a malty brew, then the hops hit on the backside and they are big to come through the maltiness.  It isn’t hops forward, but has a big hoppiness, and leaves a bitterness that is pleasing to my palate as I drink the beer.

All in all this is a very good beer, and one I am very glad that Evan shared with me.  I’m not sure I get the whole meerkat connection.  I get that Mongooses are Meerkats, and whole India Pale Ale thing, but I think it is a bit of a stretch.  Another stupid label that would have probably repelled me as a buyer.  Glad I had the insider info on this one.  If you see it, buy it.  The brewers are putting their efforts into the beer not the marketing.  That’s for sure…

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Beer, review

8 Comments on “Hale’s Supergoose IPA: What’s With the Meerkat?”

1. June 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

Obviously “Supergoose” is named after a rodent with super powers, what’s not to understand? After all, if they called it “Batman” you’d think it was cool.

Nice of Evan to share these beers with you. Looks like those folks up in Washington only share their beer on a 1-to-1 basis.

June 16, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

I’d be afraid of a super powered Mongoose. Think of the destruction they could wrack on society. They’d make Godzilla look like a nice little lizard…

2. June 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

The Co-op had Supergoose in a few months ago. Almost grabbed one, and the next time I was in it was gone. I think it was pretty cheap, too. Went fast or they didn’t have that much, or both I guess. Never saw it @Brewforia.

I was a bit thrown by the label too. I expected the “Super” prefix would hint at double or imperial (which is what I was in the mood for), but when I picked it up I didn’t see any indication of that, and I set it back down. Hope it comes back to Boise.

June 16, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

If you have a chance get it. If it was an Imperial they kept it quiet, but it was a very nice IPA.

3. June 17, 2010 at 10:51 am #

Meerkats are cool. I was raised by meerkats so I know what I’m talking about. Usually, they only wear their capes @ night, but there are some sellouts like Bill on the label there who wear their capes day and night and allow people to take pictures of them in exchange for fresh grubs.

Aside from that, very cool to get some regional beer samples!

June 17, 2010 at 11:00 am #

Yeah, Bill the Meerkat is a total sellout! It was cool to get the Washington beer. One Evan sent was from a guy that produces out of his garage! Talk about your microbrews. Can’t wait to give that one a try.

4. Bryan
    June 17, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

Hales IPA was my first IPA. I have a special place in my heart for her. It has changed a bit over the years but it is still one of my favorites. I have been able to find it @Brewforia here in Boise.

I recall water-front restaurant (I don’t recall the name since it was like ’95) on Westlake in Seattle had it dry-hopped in a cask and it would make your toes curl. You could see flakes of hops in the bottom of your glass…give me a moment…

@BeerPoet, I think the one available @Brewforia is simply called Mongoos IPA. I’m not sure if there’s a difference but I’ll be keeping an eye out for this one.

June 17, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

The mongoose IPA I have seen there as well. That has just Amarillo Hops. The Supergoose has a much bigger malt backbone and also uses Cascade and Summit hops, I believe. It is like the Mongoose turned way up. It was a very nice beer.