I’m Going to be VERY BAD this Year!

It’s a threat as old as Christmas. If you’re a rotten kid, you’ll wind up with a lump of coal in your stocking. It’s the ultimate Christmas FAIL, the dark reward for a pattern of anti-social behavior.

Well, I’ve found a lump of coal that’s so delicious, I’ve decided to be very bad from here on out.

I’m talking about Ridgeway Brewing’s Lump of Coal Dark Holiday Stout. It’s a sweet stout from Oxfordshire England that pours very dark and smells a lot like a sampler box of chocolates. The taste follows the rich aroma with a confectionery blend of hops, coffee and chocolate.

The mouthfeel is a little thin, but somehow exceptionally creamy at the same time. Must be Christmas magic. All in all, the best word to describe this stout is one I don’t use a lot for beer, but really works here; it’s yummy. It’s a unique taste you can develop a craving for.

Lump of Coal Dark Holiday Stout is so delicious and smooth, you could drink this stuff all day long. But at 8% ABV, that’s not a great idea, as you’d probably fall into the Christmas tree.

Christmas has passed, but I intend to earn a case of this stuff between now and then. I’m going to take up smoking, swearing and leering at old ladies as they cross the street. I know it sounds hardcore, but I’m on a mission and that’s just how I roll!

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Beer

10 Comments on “I’m Going to be VERY BAD this Year!”

1. January 6, 2010 at 2:30 am #

Sounds like a good one Jim – where did you find it? Also, I thought I already saw your wanted picture in the Record for leering @ old ladies. If you’re going to step it up, then you really are hard-core!

• Jim
      January 6, 2010 at 10:22 am #

The wanted poster was for salacious peeking, so I’ll definately be taking it to the next level with leering.

I have Don to thank for this one. It was part of a care package he sent from Idaho that included several interesting brews I hadn’t seen before.

January 6, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

So how does this stack up against the Mad Elf for Christmas Brews? BTW I picked up another Goose Island Christmas Ale. Thought I would let them get a jump on next year’s Christmas Ship! I will probably have it with tomorrow night’s BCS Championship Bowl! I’m also going to call down to the co op and see if they have any of these left. I’d like to try it.

• Jim
          January 6, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

Mad Elf is just about perfect, and deceptively easy to drink. It’s bright and fruity and sweet, where as Lump of Coal is creamy and cozy and chocolatey. It’s pretty much a matter of what you’re in the mood for. I think I’d go for the Elf more times than not, but that’s just me.

I would recommend grabbing one for youself if you can still find one at the Co Op.

2. Wendi
    January 6, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

Sounds just like you said Jim, yummy. Also sounds really rich, I guess because of the reference to the sampler box of chocolates. I think about 70% of the people I know (including myself & hubby) have started post holiday diets this week and your next review should be on some “yummy” lite beers. Hahahaha!

January 6, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

Wen. Yummy Light Beers is an oxymoron.

• Jim
      January 6, 2010 at 4:58 pm #

For the most part, the concept of a yummy lite beer is an oxymoron, Wendi. Which is a shame, because I fall into the 70% of people who owe my body an apology after all the junk I ate (and drank) over the holidays.

My only advice is drink half the amount you normally would and it’ll have half the calories.

And replace lite beer with water. After all, what’s the difference?

3. January 7, 2010 at 5:52 am #

Insanely Bad Elf…too good for words. Most of the their line-up is terrific. I went through a lot of these last year and have begged my little bro to save some of their beers for me.

• Jim
      January 7, 2010 at 10:08 am #

I haven’t had the pleasure of trying the Isanely Bad Elf, but I keep hearing good things about it. I’m not sure if we can get it in NJ, but I’d really like to check it out.

January 7, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

I just found a place that had these yesterday, along with the Criminally insane elf. I might have to swing by and pick some up.