Word out of Longmont, Colorado is that craft brewer Oskar Blues is getting into the bicycle building business.  They’ve created a new brand for the bike called “Reeb” (beer pedaled in reverse), and their first model will be a mountain bike.  Colorodoan.com shared the following details:

Chad Melis, marketing director for Oskar Blues, said the company is manufacturing handmade, steel, single-speed, 29er hardtail mountain bikes using the Denver-based Gates’ Carbon Drive system.

The Gates Carbon Drive system is a “belt”-driven bicycle drive that replaces a standard chain, according to the company. Compared with a normal chain that requires lubrication and maintenance, Gates said its belt drive is maintenance free.

The folks at Oskar Blues say that the sturdy, single gear bike is a reflection of the down-to-basics thinking that makes Colorado great, and that the bike is well-suited to the rugged Colorado terrain.  Now, I’m not a mountain biker and don’t live in Colorado, so I’m not sure if all of that is accurate, but I can tell you this: This bike is a hipster’s wet dream!

First off, the whole “fixed gear” bike thing is a staple of the hipster scene, just do a quick Google image search on “fixie hipster” to see what I mean.  Also, hipsters love PBR in cans, but I’m sure many also appreciate the irony (and previously, the novelty) of Oskar Blues’ craft beers in a can.  Good beer in an unassuming package? OMG, I’m soooo evolved!  Add it up, and a single gear bike from a canned beer manufacturer might be the ultimate hipster ride.

Or maybe not.  After all, hipsters are cash poor (the rent in Brooklyn is through the roof and vintage clothing can get pricey) and the Reeb costs $1,200 for the frame and will run $3,000 to $4,000 fully kitted out.  That’s a pretty penny on an Apple Store salary.  Plus the Reeb sounds like a pretty serious mountain bike and might be overkill for carving up the cobblestones. Overall, I think the price of entry will keep the hipsters from co-opting the Reeb and turning it into the bicycle version of skinny jeans, which is fine by me.

After all, I don’t think they are the audience Oskar Blues has in mind for the Reeb.  I’ve lost count of the craft beer geeks (especially the can fans) who are hardcore mountain biking enthusiasts, but they are legion, so this move makes sense for the gang in Longmont.  They’ve already produced 20 bikes, most of which were snapped up by their own employees, which may be an indication that the demand is there.

I say good luck to OB on their new endeavor and have just one word of advice: Don’t offer the Reeb in DayGlo colors, and the hipsters should be kept at bay.

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Lifestyle, News

Author:Jim Galligan

30 Comments on “Is the New Oskar Blues “Reeb” Mountain Bike the Ultimate in Hipster Transportation?”

November 9, 2011 at 11:03 am #

What? No Picture?

• November 9, 2011 at 11:24 am #

As far as I can tell, there’s not one out there…

2. November 9, 2011 at 11:07 am #

what is a key component that i don’t see in the illustration which would kill it for me…along with the hefty price tag…is that there isn’t any liquid beverage holder…

3. November 9, 2011 at 11:08 am #

that should read “one is a key component”

• November 9, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Maybe it comes with one of those helmets with two beer holders and straws…

4. November 9, 2011 at 11:11 am #

Hipsters keep their bikes to the streets, not on the trails or mountains. Boulder is Hipster Haven though.

• November 9, 2011 at 11:26 am #

A lot of SUV never see a dirt trail either, but that doesn’t stop soccer moms and Rambo dads from snapping them up.

• November 9, 2011 at 11:32 am #

A lot of Mini-Cooper seats never feel the ass of a man in the driver seat either..

November 9, 2011 at 11:35 am #

But if they do, he’s usually wearing Skinny Jeans…or short shorts and Mandles.

• November 9, 2011 at 11:55 am #

Mostly the non-S variety. The “S” is for “stud”!

5. November 9, 2011 at 11:49 am #

what are mandles?

• November 9, 2011 at 11:54 am #

I hope to god you never find out…

6. Greg
    November 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Not that I’m picky, but a fixed gear bike that a hipster would ride is not even close to a single speed mtn bike. Fixies are road bikes with totally different geometry and have a fixed gear (no freewheel, or backpedaling). Single speeds are one gear mtn bikes specifically for the woods. The gearing is so low that it’s painful to ride on pavement. Just my $0.02.

• November 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

But not that you’re picky or anything… ;)

Good to know. This looks like a serious trail scooter, but the beer and single gear thing made me instantly think of the those awful hipsters!

• Greg
        November 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

Nah, I just happen to know a thing or two about bikes (and beer). Mountain bikes and beer definitely go together.

• November 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Agreed on that. I’m surprised I haven’t done the “bikes and beers” post yet. I’ve thought of it a few times…

• Greg
          November 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

Many a mountain bike ride has ended with a trailside beer.

• November 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

Or a broken collar bone.

Or both (the beer first).

7. November 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

This definitely isn’t a Hipster magnet, more of the “I’m so much more into the outdoors than you, that I’m laid back and Zen-like.” The target consumer they’re looking at drives a Subaru, snowboards, climbs 14ers, camps (but only in the back country), has disposable income, and more often than not, only knows about the bigger craft breweries like OB (or may hang out at Mountain Sun). Not that there’s necessarily anything wrong with any of that in it’s parts, but taken together, it’s a smug bunch. Hipsters in Colorado don’t ride mountain bikes, that’s too mainstream.

I don’t see anything wrong with OB producing bikes though, especially here in Colorado where bicycling has always been bigger than in most parts of the country, and for a very long time; you can’t drive between Boulder, Lyons and Longmont without seeing herds of bicyclists any day of the week, nearly any hour of the day.

• November 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

So this is for the Trailster – the hipster’s back country cousin? Makes sense. I guess a true hipster bike would be manufactured by Pabst and feature a banana seat.

8. Matthew
    November 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

They’re not really mountain bikes, but I really like the New Belgium bikes:

• Matthew
      November 9, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

That was supposed to have a picture in it. I guess HTML isn’t allowed?

New belgium bike

• November 9, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

I fixed it up for ya…

• Matthew
          November 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

Thank you muchly. Now that’s a good looking bike. I love how the tray on the front is, of course, the perfect size for a case.

• November 9, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

Perhaps REEB is OB’s way of calling New Belgium a bunch of pansies with their girly street bike…

• November 9, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

The company that makes the bikes for NB was at the Denver Brewfest a couple of years ago and they said that indeed, the specifications for the front basket were derived from the dimensions of a case of beer. :) You definitely have to see one “in-person” to appreciate how nice these bikes are.

• Greg H.
          November 9, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

It wouldn’t surprise me if you’re right about OB’s motivation Jim.

9. November 11, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

Please replace stubble with moustache. Ktxbye. ;)

10. DanR
    January 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

It may be a little late on this but I am new to reading this blog. I don’t think the REEB bikes are an homage to hipsters or a snark at NBB for their cruisers. I used to ride (and drink) with some of the OB guys, and they are pretty badass riders, even for Colorado, many of whom have been riding single speed mountain bikes (very different than the fixies hipsters ride) on some of the toughest trails surrounding Boulder and Lyons. I think they just got sick of buying bikes from other companies, and thought it would be cool to have the exact bikes they wanted to ride, built for them. Many of those guys rode custom bikes from Maverick bikes in Boulder (with custom OB colors, paintjobs, etc) for years, but these guys have been rocking the belt-driven single speeds for a while and wanted their own thing. Good for them I say, I can’t afford one. I don’t think many hipsters would have any idea what to do with one of these.