35% of Men Say Beer is the Ultimate Man’s Drink, the Other 65% Are Wrong

Ask Men just released their 2011 Great Male Survey and it turns out that the majority of dudes (35%) consider beer to be the “ultimate man’s drink.” Whiskey came in second at 28% (I knew there was a reason it’s after beer in our blog title!), Scotch at 27%, “whatever Don Draper is drinking” (ugh) came in at 7%, and the Martini got 3%, meaning it’s almost as manly as drinking a Cosmo.

Other important data collected by this groundbreaking study finds that 48% of men would break up with their girlfriend if she got fat (and I’m sure those dudes are all swimsuit models themselves), and 78% of men believe they can tell when a woman is faking an orgasm, probably because they are watching porn when it happens.  Also, 41% of men surveyed have a Bucket List of what to do before they die that consists of one item – make a Bucket List Before I Die.  Seriously.

Hit this link to read some of the other life changing stats over at Ask Men (unless you’re drinking a martini, then you can click here).

.

.

.

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Beer, Lifestyle, News, Scotch Whisky, Whiskey

Author:Jim Galligan

Craft beer nerd, frequent beer blogger and occasional home brewer.

Join the Madness

Like beer? Like whiskey? Like goofing off? Follow Us!

20 Comments on “35% of Men Say Beer is the Ultimate Man’s Drink, the Other 65% Are Wrong”

  1. July 26, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

    Wow. That’s some important stuff. Thanks for sharing. I think.

    • July 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

      I try to do my part to make the world a better informed place, Zac. I’m a bridge builder.

  2. July 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

    And what do you say to guys who think the ultimate man’s drink is Gatorade?

    • July 26, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

      I’d say save $1.59 and drink water, LeBron. :)

  3. July 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

    While beer should rightfully be the ultimate manly drink, there’s nothing wrong with a martini. When done right, a plain old dirty vodka martini made from one of the old Russian vodkas (more like jet fuel than alcohol) is something to kill for. It’s all these fruity, frou-frou drinks with “ini” tacked on to their names that are the epitome of girliness!

    • July 26, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

      Agreed, but it’s fun to take shots at mixed drinks, even manly ones!

  4. FatCatKC
    July 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

    Would that make a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout the Chuck Norris of all beverages?

    • July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

      Indeed it would. :)

  5. July 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

    76.4% of those statistics were made up on the spot.

    • July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

      93.72% chance you’re right.

  6. July 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

    Gotta love statistics–anyone can generate them. But I am puzzled by the statement that “Whiskey came in second at 28%…Scotch at 27%,” Any bloke will tell you that Scotch is just a Yank word for whiskey. (They had it first guys, honest!. Order a whiskey at a British pub and I guarantee you won’t get Bourbon, Blended Canadian or Rye, and probably not even Blended Scotch.)

    So with that in mind, if these figures are to be believed, 55% of men prefer whiskey (any kind), making whiskey the clear front runner (Sorry Jim, I too prefer beer, though I’m not averse to a finger or two of Oban on a cold winter evening.)

    • July 26, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

      Lies! Manipulation! Conspiracy!

      Actually, I agree, but I’m not a whiskey/scotch snob like some folks. The fact that there’s a distinction between the two and guys voted for each is a classic example of splitting the vote. There might be more fellas who think booze is manly, but beer still wins!!

      Now I’m covering my ears and going na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-naaaaaa!

      • July 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

        I understand, believe me. I find it hard to believe too (but then I usually find statistics hard to believe.)

        BTW: I decided to stop at my favorite watering hole today (its Beck’s in Sykesville for any Marylanders or Pennsyltuckians who might be interested) and right next to the Guinness (my usual drink of choice) and the Sammie Adams Seasonal was Flying Dog’s India Pale Ale* (first time I’ve had it on draft). Let me tell you that two pints of that dark amber elixir went real well with a medium-rare Buffalo Burger, topped w/ cheddar cheese and onion rings & served on a pretzel roll. The barkeep informed me that they’ll be featuring one of the Heavy Seas brews starting next week so I’m guessing that I’ll just have to stop by there again real soon.

        *7.1%ABV, 60 IBU, 15 on the Plato scale, Warrior & Columbus hops, American Ale yeast

    • ScottG
      July 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

      I’d say it depends on your pub. My local when I was stationed in England was pretty low-brow (which I loved it for) and only had a blended scotch and JD. Great beer selection, though, which was why I went. Well, the first among the many reasons.

      • July 29, 2011 at 10:23 am #

        I admit that most of the pubs I crawled were in Yorks, which tends to be a bit more old school culturally speaking but is also where I found some of the best (and hottest currys). But I also hit more than a few pubs in Luton (some really great old pubs there as well as fish and chips), London, Cheltenham, etc. The only places I can think of that would have had blended whisky in stock wud have been in London–but then I also found very few Brits tending bar in London and they had a whole lot of Danish, U.S. (A-B, ugh!) and Oz lagers on tap there as well. Matter of fact, as I recall, the last time I was in London I had to ask around to find a pub with real ale on tap.

        • ScottG
          July 29, 2011 at 11:19 am #

          I spent most of my pub crawling time in Cambs, so who knows. And I was in London last summer and didn’t have any issues finding a pub with real ale. But I know there’s been shake-up in the pubco world, so it might have affected the part of London where you were more.
          There was a good one right by the British Museum called “The Plow” (well, Plough) that had 5 or 6 real ales. Usually had one from Adnams, one from John Courage, 1-2 from Fullers, one from Greene King and one from Shepard Neame or Wells. And yeah, my local made a mean curry (or four). Heavenly with a good pint.

  7. July 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

    Last time around (Feb 1993), I was staying in the area near the MoD, so there were a lot of touristy places around the area. Although I usually go for a pub’s house bitter, I did eventually find some really great IPA’s during that trip (sorry, don’t remember the brands).

    BTW: It was during one of my England trips that I first tasted Oban–probably too peaty for most palates–and I’ve enjoyed it ever since. My brother-in-law tasted it once and nearly spit it out–he’s definitely a blended scotch man.

    • ScottG
      July 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

      I’m a Highlands/Speyside kind of guy, but my wife likes Laphroaig. I enjoy Lagavulin on occasion, but I think she’s nuts. That bottle is all hers.

      And I think the pub scene has changed much for the better in the intervening years. I did a meeting at the MoD and the meeting also included the pub around the corner, which had my favorite IPA, Deuchar’s. I miss England, now that I think about it. I’d recommend any serious (albeit recreational) drinker go visit.

  8. July 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

    Amen brother! Though I loved that nice yeasty Hefeweizen I had in Germany, my beer-drinking heart is in jolly Olde England.

    On my first business trip there, the associate I was traveling with had to pour me into my room on more than one occasion. (Of course, I was a lot younger then.) The best time I had on that trip was when we stayed at the BOQ at Scarborough. It had its own little mini-pub with a full time barkeep and a 5 star kitchen (fantastic curry!). But the RAF officers who lived there preferred to eat and drink elsewhere, so we had the place to ourselves (and the reputed ghost of a crashed RAF pilot, who I’m sure I scared away with my olympic grade snoring.)

  9. Nate
    February 5, 2012 at 8:54 am #

    As per Billy Dee Williams, Colt 45 is the ultimate man’s drink. duh.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 8,645 other followers

%d bloggers like this: